What's new

Help Needed

CMH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brothers,

I need some help. My husband really wants some "good" cutters and a "good" lighter for Fathers day, and after looking around at what's out there, I'm confused. We don't want to spend a ton of money and I know he doesn't want anything too fancy, he just kind of got into smoking now after now for years and years, back when he was a single guy...

He just bought some Pleiades cigars, if that helps. After reading the forums here at BOTL, it seems as though cigar smokers are pretty brand loyal, so I don't want to end up buying the wrong one. I looked at Palio vs. Xikar lighters and cutters, both seem good but there are also so many different models to choose from.

I probably want to spend less than $50 on each.
Also, I'm pretty sure he said he wanted the cutters that were like scissors, not the kind with the hole in the middle. He's got the kind with the hole in the middle right now, they don't work that well. Maybe if I got him a better one it would make a difference...

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks, brothers....

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
1st off Welcome to the forum. I like my Palio cutter, it works like a charm. I travel a lot so I use cheap lighters and wood matches. Are you getting this for your husband/and if so do smoke with him?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The Palio is supposed to be the best Guillotine stlye cutter around. But the Xikar's are great, I love mine. Check out the sponsors here, and they will be able to set you up with what you are looking for.

CMH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st off Welcome to the forum. I like my Palio cutter, it works like a charm. I travel a lot so I use cheap lighters and wood matches. Are you getting this for your husband/and if so do smoke with him?
Yes, I'm getting it for my husband "from" my kids. My 5 year old son thinks it's really cool when he smokes...good or bad, I don't know...

No, I don't smoke with him...can't stand the smell...back in the good ol days before kids I would take a puff here and there when I'd be drinking but I can't handle it anymore.

JMN

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You just haven't experienced something good then. You should pick him up a fiver of something good as well, and keep one for yourself.

When he asks just tell him, "I don't know what happened to the other one"

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Welcome to the board

http://www.cigarmony.com/

Pick up a Palio or Xikar cutter, I prefer Palio but Xikar look cool, and an Old Boy or ST. Dupont lighter. Its a little over your budget though. A good pair of cigar scisors are pretty expensive, I have the revolution triple blade scisors, they are OK and 24.99.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would recommend the Palio cutter. Fantastic. There is a great Father's day sampler at Holt's right now (holts.com), I think that is right at 50 dollars. It's a great line up of cigars.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I would get him a nice Palio cutter, or a nice Wenger Swiss Army Knife cutter. The swiss army knife is more of a scissors type cutter by the way but it's not just a cigar cutter either. I liked the one I had till it got taken away by Vatican Guard in Rome. Those guards are from Switzerland right?

CMH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are funny...

JMN, I think I will start smoking cigars just so I can get on this board and chat...(I think I need to start drinking again, too.)

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are funny...

JMN, I think I will start smoking cigars just so I can get on this board and chat...(I think I need to start drinking again, too.)
Palio cutter from cigarmony.com, all the way. Even though it's a guillotine style cutter, it is far better than whatever he has used in the past.

As to the lighter, Xikars are generally very good and have a lifetime warranty from a company with superb customer service, so it's hard to go wrong there. Again, cigarmony.com is a great place to buy. Whatever you do, do NOT buy any Colibri.

And feel free to join us any time for a cigar and/or adult beverage. :bottle:

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
.(I think I need to start drinking again, too.)
If you have a 5 yr old, then yes, you should definitely be drinking. :thumbsup:

Just kidding. No need to add my vote for the paliio. As for lighters, I would avoid a colibri lighter. I've had several over the years and they just do not last very long. Our sponsors have some great options for what you need.

Good for you for wanting to do it right. Very thoughtful. Your husband should be a happy guy.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a couple of them, and they are convienent, but I think the cut is kind of crappy.
If you want to go the scissors route, I think the Swiss Army Knife (aka SAK) from Wenger is the better choice. They come with red plastic or brushed stainless steel handles. The stainless looks cooler and is more durable, but it's also more expensive and heavier... There is no free lunch. :wink:

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
To add to the list of what cutters not to get. DO NOT BUY the Cuban Crafters Revolution cutter. I did and it sucks. It doesn't cut it tears because of the three blade design and then not being on the same plane, it just plain sucks. That's what I get for wanting a variety! Ooh and to third. Colibri lighters suck. I have two and the both suck. Although one is four years old it's like that old gas car that has different colored doors and a rod knock so loud you think it's diesel. After 4 years it works, just not well.

CMH

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so now you've got me reading the other posts...you guys have just about the best sense of humor I've seen in a long time.
Yes! I should be drinking, but I have a 3 year old too and I just can't seem to stay awake...

One more question, you all are being so helpful. I'm wondering if I should just get him a guillatine cutter instead of a scissors cutter. What are your preferences on that?

Triple refined butane...got it. That's a torch lighter? That's all he said. Torch lighter.