What's new

Help with new handgun choice

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, here's the short of it...

A bunch of us (15 or so) at work hold a monthly raffle for a cash pot with the intention that the winner can use that money to purchase a firearm of their choice from any FFL dealer. Whatever is in the pot will be reimbursed to that person. So, this week...I won the pot.

I now have up to $450 which I will be reimbursed to purchase any firearm of my choice.

Right now there is no concealed carry law in Wisconsin, but I'm hoping that will change. I currently have a 9mm which I carried while I lived in Indiana. I'm looking for something with a little more punch to it, but personally the .45 ACP is out because most of the gun with that chambering are too large for my hands to grip it comfortably. I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W or maybe one of those new .45 GAP chambered guns. I'd like something along the lines of maybe a Springfield XD or Glock.

Anyone have suggestions? I would really appreciate any opinions on those of you who already have something similar.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I started with a .38, went to a 9mm, jumped up to a .45 ACP when I started in IPSC and quickly switched down to a double stack .40 S&W and have been there ever since.

Great .40's
Sig
Glock
Kimber
Para-Ord.
H&K

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'll throw in a vote for either the H&K USP Compact (which I have and love) or the Sig P226. I don't have large hands and I find both quite comfortable. There are also a few 1911 clones chambered for the .40 which would seem to be a great choice for CCW if and when it gets passed up there. Be sure to let us know what you decide on!

Congrats on the win. That's a pretty cool pot you have going there.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, I made me choice last weekend was able to pick it up this past Tuesday. Today will be the first day to the range with the new pistol.

I decided on a "Baby" Desert Eagle in .40S&W. I tried 7 different guns, the XD Service and Tactical, G23 and 27, a standard 1911 Compact, and just for kicks a Kimber Compact (beyond the budget right now, though that is a nice gun). Aside from the Kimber, the Desert Eagle was the only other one I could comfortably operate with my left hand (yes, I'm a lefty).

So, today I'm taking the one box of ammo I have for it and several hundred for the old 9mm and go do some target practice. It's been over a year, so I'm due. I'll tell you all how it shoots when I get back!

turtle

Kimbers Rock
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Schuellk,
Since you are lefty. If you want to buy another handgun you should look into the new SW M and P. You can put all the controls on the other side. The slide release and the mag release are convertible. It is a pretty concept.

BTW the baby eagle's are very good guns.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just saw the article in the new American Rifleman issue, haven't had a chance to read it yet. Definately looks like a nice gun though.