What's new

Henry Arms 45 Colt

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I used to own a "Golden Boy" several years ago.. was a really fun little gun to shoot... I traded it for something a little more practical (I thought) and regretted it almost immediately...

I'd love to own another Henry lever action.. and have thought about picking up a "big boy" in .44 mag to use as a brush gun... I just keep talking myself out of it since I already own a couple of rifles dedicated to that purpose (just built a short bbl, light weight, mule kicking, .45-70 last year specifically for short range, deep woods, big game... )

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I was very close to buying a Golden Boy, but my LGS put the 10/22 on sale so I bought that instead. Big mistake.

I'd still like one, but the 10/22 will be replaced by a CZ .22 bolt gun before anything else.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
10/22 is a great little "fun" gun... another rifle I regret letting fall out of my inventory that I really want to replace..

the CZ 455 .22 is the absolute tits in .22 rifles though... beautiful craftsmanship.. and dead ass accurate...

Ive shot a couple of them.. but never owned one.. its on the short list of rifles to acquire..

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
10/22 is a great little "fun" gun... another rifle I regret letting fall out of my inventory that I really want to replace..

the CZ 455 .22 is the absolute tits in .22 rifles though... beautiful craftsmanship.. and dead ass accurate...

Ive shot a couple of them.. but never owned one.. its on the short list of rifles to acquire..
I didn't understand QUITE how good they are until I shot my friend's. They are truly works of art, which is more than impressive for off-the-shelf .22s.

I'm pretty sad to see how the 10/22s have declined over the years. The stocks, actions, and barrels used to be of higher quality. While they're not terrible now, it's hard for me to look back on the older ones and grasp that decline.

OP, how is .45 Colt out of a rifle? I IMAGINE very manageable, but I could be very wrong.

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
I've got the base model .22lr lever gun, none of that fancy "golden boy" stuff. It's a great shooter, and has been in the back of my various rigs for 10 years or so. It's high on my "never gonna sell it" list. Seeing as I got it for $125 or so new, it may be the best gun purchase I've ever made.
-Dude®

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I cant answer for the OP... or how .45 LC does in the Henry...

but Ive built quite a few pistol caliber single shot rifles over the years (I buy NEF/HR shotgun frames for about $20 each.. pick up youth stock sets for about $25... and then buy bbls for anywhere from $50 to $125 depending on what it is.. and then do all the fitting/adjusting, refinishing, tuning, etc.. myself... the shotgun frames can handle pressures up to .45-70.. you just cant fit high velocity center fire rifle bbls to them.. or you risk blowing yourself up)..

I built a .45 LC for my son as a first "deer" rifle... it is honestly mild enough that my 10 yr old daughter can handle it with no problem at all.. recoil is SUPER MILD.. even out of a lightweight frame/bbl/stock combo...

I stepped my son up to a .44 Mag last year.. started him with a box of .44 SPL just to let him get used to it.. then went to a box of full power, 240 gr mags.. felt recoil even out of full power mags is slightly less than what a .243 puts out (IMHO).. makes an outstanding 100 yard deer rifle.. (bullet drop is stupid after about 100 yds.. you really have to start arcing in the rounds.. ).. whereas I only felt comfortable shooting the .45 LC out to about 40 yds.. after that you start to see some pretty serious drop in ballistic capability.. velocity is just too slow to make it reliable against big game any further out (IMHO)...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was very pleased with the gun today, recoil was minimal and the lever action is very smooth. Such an easy gun to shoot I believe my wife will be comfortable with it. I was very impressed with accuracy, I sighted at 50 yard's and was doing a 8" cluster 80% of the time. This was my first time out with the gun. The front sight needs to be adjusted but I did not have the tools with me. Been wanting one of these rifles for years.

Last edited: