What's new

high dollar coffee question

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I placed my first order with killerbeans recently. got some venezuelan vendetta and carribean cutthroat on the way.

My question is this, are there any reliable, high quality web sites that sell the higher priced favorites like Jamaican blue Mountain and Kona. I've had both of those, and esp. like the Blue mtn. I just don't like paying $40/lb. for it.

scottsins

Official BOTL Consigliere
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Oh, I should have mentioned that i have no roasting capabilities, assuming that it takes some special equipment.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started roasting my own coffee using a 25-year old hot air popcorn popper that I picked up at a thrift shop for $3. It doesn't take a lot to get started in this obsession.

As to the Kona/JBM question, I don't drink them myself, for a number of reasons. First on my list is that there are, IMO and to my tastes, better coffees out there for much less money. The Bolivian Organic I'm drinking right now is a stellar example of just that.

IMO, Kona and JBM are the two most over-hyped coffees in the world. They are fine if you prefer very mild, very delicate coffees, but that's about as far as it goes. Second, the powers that be in Jamaica have stretched the definition of what can be sold as "Blue Mountain" to the point of meaninglessness.

As always, YMMV.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Mad Dawg said:
I started roasting my own coffee using a 25-year old hot air popcorn popper that I picked up at a thrift shop for $3. It doesn't take a lot to get started in this obsession.

As to the Kona/JBM question, I don't drink them myself, for a number of reasons. First on my list is that there are, IMO and to my tastes, better coffees out there for much less money. The Bolivian Organic I'm drinking right now is a stellar example of just that.

IMO, Kona and JBM are the two most over-hyped coffees in the world. They are fine if you prefer very mild, very delicate coffees, but that's about as far as it goes. Second, the powers that be in Jamaica have stretched the definition of what can be sold as "Blue Mountain" to the point of meaninglessness.

As always, YMMV.
My mileage is exactly the same.
Once you start roasting, you'll discover how inexpenive REALLY good coffee can be.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I agree highly with doug's thoughts on the JBM and Konna... overhyped and not that good.

If your looking for already roasted beans from a good vendor, stick with killer beans, they have been the best I've found :)