What's new

Hip hop is dead to me now

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
From 1994's "Mickey Unrapped". Proof hip-hop has been dead for years...
[video=youtube;Ezpcn49I2e4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezpcn49I2e4[/video]

-Dude
(Knowin' nuthin' in life but to be legit)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think Hip Hop is stilling hanging on by a very small thread. Rap on the other hand has been dead for a while now. I would consider Nas a rapper, but when you feature Will.I.Am on the track, that makes you Hip Hop.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
That question will differ depending on who you ask. For me however, Rap is a little more hardcore and edgy. Where Hip Hop will have more of an R&B influence and is mainstream. When was the last time you heard NWA's "F@#* tha police" on the radio? Can you turn on the radio now, without hearing a song by Drake, Kanye, or Jay-Z? Just my opinion.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I had no idea there was a difference between hip hop and rap.

What is it?
The terms have been interchanged so many times it is hard to tell them apart anymore. My opinion is that Hip Hop and Rap are both reflective styles of a culture. Hip Hop always seemed to have a more positive/uplifting message behind it. Where Rap was a little darker in it's message and more reflective of Pop-Culture(Cars/Rims/Money/Bling/ect). Some would say artists like Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, ect would be Hip Hop, where artists like NWA, eminem, ect would be more on the Rap genre.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
it was never "alive" to me....guess that's cause I'm an FOG

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's lots of good hip hop out there still. You just have to look harder for it these days. Check out the new El-P for instance. Also rap and hip hop are the same thing. All rappers make hip hop music.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Hip Hop, at least for me, was dead on arrival. Of course, I'm a musician. To be totally honest, as a musician, I can't really name a genre of music that I dislike as a genre, save one. I love Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, Miles, Coltrane, Joe Sample, CCR, Mettalica, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Green Day, Johnny Cash, Bobby Brown, Van Halen, etc etc etc. I have even heard Hip Hop music that I personally considered to have at least some redeeming qualities, although it isn't my cup of tea. The one genre that I have an absolute distaste for is "Gangsta Rap". Too often, Hip Hop is lumped in with Gangsta Rap. But if you dig deeply enough into the musicology, (yes that is a musical discipline), you will eventually run into the brick wall that tells you that Hip Hop pretty much originated from Gangsta Rap. I have a problem with that. My $.02. BTW, I didn't watch any of the video on this thread.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I have to disagree Glen, as a musician myself I found actual talent in hip hop, but very little talent outside of the producers in rap. I don't see how any one can see The Roots live and tell me they aren't talented! It may not be your cup of tea, but there is a lot of talent out there. I enjoyed the innovation aspect of Rap, even Gangsta Rap to some degree. But it became a very saturated genre, much like Grunge did. As far as Grunge and Rap, it seems the originators had the only respectable qualities and the rest just seemed to follow suit.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I have to disagree Glen, as a musician myself I found actual talent in hip hop, but very little talent outside of the producers in rap. I don't see how any one can see The Roots live and tell me they aren't talented! It may not be your cup of tea, but there is a lot of talent out there.
Agreed. I've seen A Tribe Called Quest live and that was mind blowing.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
wow I just started with a joke...and people got all serious...geez.....of course there still is good hip hop....I mean soulja boy.....he is untouchable now:smokingme