What's new

Hip hop is dead to me now

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm don't get it...why do rappers think it's cool to have your random entourage friends sit behind you and chuckle and repeat what you say?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
HIP HOP WILL NEVER DIE: A few Notes from a Native Son.

Hip Hop and Rap are the same. There is absolutely no difference. Disregard what wickopedia or anything that anybody says if it claims there is a difference. Whether said by rappers or educationalists, both are the same - a DJ and MC, a Beat and a Rhyme.

Many years ago I went to the record store to buy my copy of De la Soul "De la Soul is Dead" and the name of the album itself bothered me. Immediately thereafter, De La was blown into history as a "popular movement" - finished, done, cooked. They stayed relevant and have dome some things since, but their reign ended and people no longer cared about "Hippie Rap" as Ganster Rap moved into position.

Probably 15 years later, NAS, who is one of my heros and mentors, broke the CD "Hip Hop is Dead". It was hard to understand what he meant by that at first. Obviously, some people could care less about rap and all this stuff, and that is understandable. But what he meant was that the art of hip hop, the culture of hip hop, and the social significance of hip hop was in a state of change. I believe that he had just lost his mother and he was in a tremendous state of darkness. In addition, New York was falling off the Map as Southern Rap and other regional rap was in certain transition to dominate. The Biggie/Tupa War, Nas/JayZ War, 50/JaRule War - over. East Coast Hip Hop had climaxed and reached such a high level that Nas saw it as biblical ' Destroy to Rebuild". He is a biblical deep thinker, and understands the channeling of pain into freedom and liberation. He realized that the people were liberated, not just African Americans, but a generation of Hip Hopers that changed the world - against all odds.

Nas acknowledged in his personal circumfrance that an evolutionary point was reached, begun by his mentors such as Public Enemy, Rakim and others. He realized that hip hop was a movement with purpose and that the purpose was obtained. Change happened. Now what? What is next? Useless lyrics about bling or shine or making it rain? What did rap have to offer us in the next stage is the question he is asking.

This is hardly a reply post to whether or not some of us like rap or appreciate it or musician or not. I could hardly listen to one minute of classical music, but I respect it. No one cares, as classical is a reality that has purpose. Rap/Hip Hop has had sociological and cultural effects that spike into the heart of American Culture, make no mistake. And some of it, including gangster rap made us stop and think about what it means "to be Gangsta", not to be a gangster. One doesnt have to be a tough guy to feel strong. One doesn't have to be a professional baseball player to go on the field with friends and play a softball game or to watch the game at the house and imagine being in it yourself. Its the thrill of pushing yourself to the highest level thats inside you. Hip hop did that for many of us from that generation. it made us look within ourselves to see that we do have strength qualities even if we carry pain, imperfection, or weakness. For others, it became a way to rebel against whatever, even if the rebellion was in ones mind. Breaking those personal chains that are in ones mind can often be the chains of the very worst kind. Hip Hop gave many of us a place to fit in. Growing up in the 80's with that Michael J Fox perfection was a sad reality for many people, especially for those who grew up in an urban environment, or a ghetto, or a trailer park, or in middle class suburbia - but were trapped or looking for something else to free them from something, whether imagined or real.

Hip Hop reached its peak two times. Once as Biggie & Pac died. Again, as Nas and Jay went all out to wear the crown. Other important times, including 50 Cent's movement, Slim Shady, Little Wayne were important, but nothing in comparison. Whether or not the USA is better off having this cultural phenominon or not, is not my position to say. However, Hip Hop is certainly not dead. Our prezident, Obama, had Common involved in his election. I am sitting here in my room in Grenada Nicaragua on a Cigar Safari and I just watched the Prince of England, Prince Charles on a turntable on CNN. Who knows what dumb ass shit he was doing. Who cares what some weak ass rapper collaborates with Justin Beeber on - it doesnt matter. Its just a bookmark in time.

Hip Hop is in its relative beginning. It is no longer music. It was never meant to be. By "Hip Hop is Dead", Nas insinuates that the new "it" rappers are about the music only in the same way that many professional athletes are not about the sport, but about themselves. Remember that you have to destroy to rebuild.

Much love to all you guys.

WU TANG

[video=youtube;E1nbvplgElw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1nbvplgElw[/video]

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Oh, please don't get me wrong. There are an absolute ton of very, very talented people making hip hop. To deny that would just be silly. I just re-read my post and I couldn't find the part where I said otherwise. I don't personally care for, say, a tuba quartet playing chamber music either, but I could certainly never deny the talent of the musicians doing it if they're really good at what they are doing.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
pnoguy ... too much love for you brother. Please please dont get me wrong either. i wasnt referring in any way that you were rude to "the hip hop guys" ... hahahahahahahhaa... not at all. You are a great brother and just talking from your perspective. Trust me, I enjoyed your post. As I said, much respect, my Brother ...!!!!!!!

JD

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
Oh, please don't get me wrong. There are an absolute ton of very, very talented people making hip hop. To deny that would just be silly. I just re-read my post and I couldn't find the part where I said otherwise. I don't personally care for, say, a tuba quartet playing chamber music either, but I could certainly never deny the talent of the musicians doing it if they're really good at what they are doing.
you're a closet tuba lover. admit it, freak!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
You are right Glen, I misread it. I think I skimmed your post a bit and alcohol may or may not have been involved :waving:

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So, JD, I guess you feel stongly about this? :)
I do take issue with one thing though: I saw no mention from you of Ice-T, Ice Cube, Dre, OR Snoop!

JNT

The Bull
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I watched the first 10 seconds and seen where it was going. They officially ran out of ideas. Whomever decided to produce or endorse any aspect of that coming to fruition should be shot.