What's new

Hole punch or cutter?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
FNG here, Had my first 'gar a couple weeks ago! I was wondering what the pros and cons are between the hole punch and gilly cutter. I understand these would be personal preference. I am currently in Saudi Arabia and the only store that sells 'gar stuff is pretty limited on their variety. Oh yeah.... i am pretty sure they only sell CUBANS too! I am leaning toward a lighter/punch combo due to the fact that the two major tools are never far apart.

My first cigar was a Romeo y Julieta 1875. I want to try the Drew Estate flavored,ie Acid and Tabak, but can't get them here.

Please weigh in with any info.
Thanks,
George

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I am a fan of cutters more than punches. Punches are limited to certain style cigars (don't work on torpedoes for example) and I sometimes bite down on my cigar if I'm working on something so the punch hole gets clogged up.

Sure it is nice to always have the punch on your lighter but I always carry a sharp knife and I actually find myself using it most of the time anyway

usmcpurcell

Dutch
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Also with a punch cutter since it has a small opening instead of a larger opening it collects tar through out the smoke and can effect the taste of the cigar. I keep one on my key ring for those random smokes that you never know when they may pop up. I personally prefer the guillotine though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always been a straight cut guy for a majority of my smokes. From cheapos, to Palio, to Xikars, and pretty much my Xi3 all the time now.

I have MTX scissors that I like to use to just barely take the cap off cigars from time to time too, and for torpedoes or belicosos.

I also have a V-cut for when the ring gauge gets too big for a straight cut either physically to cut it, or if the draw is a little too free with a straight cut.

Never been a punch cut fan at all, draw was always way too tight for my personal liking, and personally find using a punch cut annoying.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I use punch most often unless it's a small rg or beli stick, then I'll cut it.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Guillotine or scissors for almost everything. I have punches, but just never have a great experience with them. I prefer a more open draw on most smokes, and a punch presents a problem in that regard for me too often.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a straight cut. Now I like punches. It keeps the smoke dowe and my pearly whites...more pearly!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost a theological decision!

Speaking for myself, I started with a cutter since I thought it would be simpler. Much to my surprise, I discoverd that a punch was more idiot-proof (the "idiot" being me!) than a cutter. The cut has to be in just the right place and it has to be level. Sure, sometimes my punch is off-center a bit, but that doesn't cause the wrapper to unravel the way an overly ambitious cut can.

So I usually use a punch, except on cigars where the head is very tapered, such as LFD chisel.

Try both, and see what works for you.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also with a punch cutter since it has a small opening instead of a larger opening it collects tar through out the smoke and can effect the taste of the cigar. I keep one on my key ring for those random smokes that you never know when they may pop up. I personally prefer the guillotine though.
Yup, what he said.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I like a nice guillotine cutter. My V cutter is a close second. If they are available I suggest picking one up. As the brothers have already stated they are great for big ring gauges and I find they are perfect for any Torpedo or figurado.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I got a Xikar multitool with cigar scissors last week. Never going back to guillotines or punches -- I love it.

falconman515

Central Cali Cigar Crew
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Xikar Cutter for me hands down.

I do agree a punch for large ring cigars as they are hard to get a perfect cut on the cap with a regular gelatine cutter.

Just using a regular gelatine cutter feels just right when cutting a cigar.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's plenty of feedback being tossed around - my suggestion: buy two of the same cigar, punch one, guillotine the other, smoke them at the same time, and see what kind of differences you notice. You just may be surprised.