What's new

Home automation

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Anyone dab into this yet? Thinking about some automation for the scotch room and was hoping some of the folks on here have some experience with the various protocols and setups.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The Scotch Room... first off, congratulations and I'm jealous. In regards to the automation I can't be much help but think it is a very cool idea and if you get anything done please share the pictures!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Anyone dab into this yet? Thinking about some automation for the scotch room and was hoping some of the folks on here have some experience with the various protocols and setups.
What are you thinking z-wave or higher end equipment? I have been slowly switching things over to z-wave. I dont trust it enough to control main door locks but for outdoor flood lights, thermostat and indoor lights/outlets it is working with no issues. They just came out with a new protocol too supposed to be safer. Good luck bruddah PM if you want any info.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I've done some initial looking and was intrigued by the Revolv hub. Basically a unit that can talk between seven different communication protocols so your not locked in to just one. If you like different items from different companies for different applications, this should bridge the gap. No first hand knowledge yet though. Sorry!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I've helped my buddy install a Raspberry pi unit for his house. The running of the cables wasn't very hard, but he had to code everything from scratch. That may be too much for just one room and there may be ready to use units, but RPis are cheap and versatile,, IF you can code.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If your going to go with a system like this I would maybe try to go with just one company product only because , different company's don't always like to play nice with others when it comes to this type of technology , it really does depend on budget and what actually your looking to do and some small closet space with a lot of venting and ac or fan to keep room cool especially if your looking to hide all the equipment that makes all the magic happen

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
No wires for me. They make some cheap RF shit ill try out first, fab a switch and see if i like the way it works. Since i have an ADT pulse box, i might just go with zwave stuff for now.