What's new

Home defense weapon

JasonbaysWv

Rookie
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well as the title says I need a home defense weapon. I have guns in my house but their deer rifles and a Remington 1100, not my first choices. So while break ins are getting regular and closer to home it's got me wanting more. I'll start by saying my dream gun is an ar15 but that's not in the budget right now. So that puts me to where I'm at now, I'm wanting to build a tactical hd 870. I have found a few to model my builds off of online with adjustable pistol grip stock, railed from grip with light, 18" barrel with mag. Extention. The reason why I'm thinking shotgun is more for my family, I'm worried about over penetration should the need for force arise. I can pick up a used 870 regularly for around 150 here so I can build cheap. I was just going to see if any of you guys have a scattergun as a hd weapon and see your alls opinion on my plan. Sorry for rambling just trying to get others opinions.
Thanks fellas
Also please list your h/d weapon either shotgun or not, and ofcourse pics are better lol.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I had a Winchester 1300 as my HD gun. Now it retires in the safe.

Just some thoughts:
1. You can't dial 911 and operate the weapon with the other hand.
2. Female family members more than likely will not be able to operate it well should you not be home.
3. Ammo. Ammo. Ammo. You are more likely to have over penetration with a shotgun or handgun than you are an AR.
4. Shotguns are heavy and long. ARs and pistols can be maneuvered far more easily.
5. God forbid you had to clear the house, see #4... AR is far more ideal.

If the 870 is all you can afford, then do that. Any gun is better than no gun. Once you have some money to blow, find some formal training. Places such as TigerSwan, Vickers Tactical, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Magpul, etc have amazing teachers with invaluable classes.

Please choose your ammo well, and have a family emergency plan. Get everyone to one room and lock it down. Do NOT go clearing your house... it's a good way to turn your kids into orphans. Know your surroundings... you're liable for whatever comes out of the muzzle of your weapon. You hit the neighbor, their house/car/dog/mailbox/etc, your own family... you're going to be in it deep.

eta: oh. My HD guns are a BCM 16" AR-15 and a Glock 17. Both are set up how I want them for HD.

JasonbaysWv

Rookie
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the replys fellas. And as of right now this is all that's in my budget, hopefully an ar next fall. Here's a pic(not mine) to get a feel for what I'm gonna build. I like this one, other then I'm thinking of the light on the forgrip with a momentary switch and maybe strobe. Will also loose the sling if something were to ever occur where I would have to use this gun I don't want a sling to snag/ hang up on anything. Also thinking to get a screwed choke barrel,that way i can put an extra full choke in it and it could double as my turkey gun.

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Avoid the AR style stocks on shotguns. They do nothing functionally, and 99% destroy the cheek weld.
Also, be wary of those light setups. Most will fail quite easily from the force of the weapon discharging, especially that close to the muzzle. The only shotgun light setup that seems to be proven is the Surefire fore-ends... and those cost lots of money. Obviously a light is a good idea, so just find whatever works for you.

Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The one thing that I will suggest is a Knox recoil reducing stock. Will allow younger ones and females to shoot a 12ga with little recoil.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
mwlabel, you mention that you're more likely to over penetrate with a shotgun than the AR-15. How so? I don't have a lot of experience with the AR but small caliber, high powered rounds seem like they could be a disaster in close combat (when worried about what's behind the target). 00 Buck in a 12/20gauge isn't going to do too much damage after going through a body or a wall.

Jasonbay, why do you not want to use your 1100? Rememington makes fantastic shotguns and I can assure you it will stop any intruder. If you just want home defense, a shotgun with buck shot is going to be the simplest and most effective method.

As far as the "tactical" shotguns, they are just fun to build and fun to shoot. They will work just as well as any hunting shotgun. I'm only stating this as food for thought so you don't think you have to be tactical to protect yourself. I plan on buying a Mossberg 500 or Mossberg 88 in 20gauge and I'm going to make a fun little "tactical" home defense model out of it but that's only because we live in America and can. :stretchgr

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shotguns have one feature that hasn't been mentioned: the distinctive sound of the pump action being racked. That, by itself, might help deter all but the most determined BG. :gangfire:

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Shotguns have one feature that hasn't been mentioned: the distinctive sound of the pump action being racked. That, by itself, might help deter all but the most determined BG. :gangfire:
That my friends is the most important feature. Nothing more distinctive than walking into a house and hearing the racking of a shell into the chamber. The 870 is an excellent home defense weapon.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
mwlabel, you mention that you're more likely to over penetrate with a shotgun than the AR-15. How so? I don't have a lot of experience with the AR but small caliber, high powered rounds seem like they could be a disaster in close combat (when worried about what's behind the target). 00 Buck in a 12/20gauge isn't going to do too much damage after going through a body or a wall.
While I could talk the ballistics on this for a longgg time. The short answer is... A lightweight round, traveling at high velocity will be destroyed going into a wall. 00 Buck has nothing to cause it to expand, and it will tear clear through a wall.
That's an over simplified version, but you get the point.
And that's any different from chambering a handgun or an AR?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
While I could talk the ballistics on this for a longgg time. The short answer is... A lightweight round, traveling at high velocity will be destroyed going into a wall. 00 Buck has nothing to cause it to expand, and it will tear clear through a wall.
That's an over simplified version, but you get the point.
Cool thanks. I will look into this more because I find ballistics interesting, most of it just goes over my head though (no pun intended)

And that's any different from chambering a handgun or an AR?
That's what I was thinking. While on my hip, I carry my 1911 in Condition 1 (round chambered, safety on). But at night I leave it unracked. I tend to sleep walk plus I don't like the idea of digging around in that drawer at night looking for a condom with a gun ready to go off (also, no pun intended haha)

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I wouldn't worry about a shotgun round penetrating a wall, unless you are using slugs. A good double XX buck or even a bird round is perfect for home protection. But, the most important things are know your laws regarding the use for home protection, make sure you are familiar with the gun itself and practice. Remember, in an emergent situation, your adrenaline will be pumping.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with a lot of the post here. I think a Tactical pump shotgun with bird shot is best for most home defense. I myself have a Benelli and a Colt .45, but I also shoot a lot and have been through A LOT of training. I think everyone should own a firearm, but more importantly, should learn as much as they can about home defense. I have a daughter at home that sleeps at the other end of the house, so it is critical that I am fully aware of her position in the house before I start popping off with a 12 gauge shotgun! :)

Check into Thunder Ranch or places like this for some training.

now, my two cents:

1. 870 and 500 are both great, affordable shotguns
2. The surefire lights are pricey, but they are the best by far
3. I prefer to keep my shotgun short so it's not cumbersome
4. I agree that I would steer clear of the AR 15 style butt stock
5. Make sure everyone that may use the gun is comfortable with it and has shot it often

again, get training and go to a range so you are comfortable with the firearm!
make sure you can break it down and clean it properly.

best of luck!