home made cigar label how to

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stolen this from The Stogie Review

Tips and Tricks - Installment 1

Posted by Walt

A few weeks ago I was hanging out with a friend when I decided it was about time for a cigar. I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out a cigar. Once removed from my pocket, I sat the cigar down in front of me while I reached for my Cutter and Lighter when I heard my friend say “What is that on your cigar”? He was talking about my home made cigar label.

A few months ago I was sitting where I am now, enjoying a cigar as I am now, as I began to think about ways I could start to organize my cooler. My problem was that I had several singles in my cooler that have been aging for a few months, and that I had some fresh ones on the way that were the same vitola.

I was concerned that I would get the sticks mixed up and end up smoking a few that were fresh instead of the ones that I had resting. I keep the cellophane on all of my cigars, to help protect them within various boxes in the cooler. So I began to kick around the idea of simply writing the date on the cello with a permanent marker. My concern was that the odor from the marker would transfer causing a problem with my humidor. I scrapped that idea and moved onto the idea of using a label of some sort.

After a little looking around I came up with the idea to use a Return Address Label. I would use the three fields (Name, Address, State & Zip) to mark down the Make of cigar, Size name and dimensions, and finally the date it was added into my humidor.

The following morning I headed to my local “Staples” and picked up the store brand of return address labels. They were said to be a match to the Avery Labels which had a Microsoft Temple for laying out the sheet. I went home and downloaded the template and got to work.

Over the past few months I have found this technique to work out really well for me. The great part about it is that I can use the template to print on the same label sheet multiple times without wasting any labels. Below are a few photos of how they work.

When I pick up cigars that have no cellophane I use blank cigar bands that can be purchased from Heartfelt Industries. I simply write on them with a pen and apply them to my cigars. They have a low tack adhesive that sticks to itself and not to the cigar wrapper

I hope this Cigar Tip works out as well for you, as it has for me.

On a side note, this segment was fun and I would like to do more in the future. However I need your help. Because coming up with Tips and tricks is difficult, we are going to need help from the readers. If you have a Tip or Trick you would like to share please use the contact form to tell us all about it. Even something that seems very simple could make life a whole lot easier for a fellow cigar smoker, so if you have something in mind please don’t hesitate to contact us.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Pretty informative :thumbsup: I believe Todd does with with return address labels and blank cigar bands.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey Ben,
thats a great idea, I gotta start doing that too, I have been using the blank heartfelt labels and a pen also,
but those ones you did look much nicer, thanks for the tip. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Orlando

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I bought a cheaper label maker to accomplish the same thing - the only problem I've had is that depending on the label stock, sometimes it doesn't stay stuck after some time in the humidor. Great info - thanks for sharing.