What's new

Home Theater Surround Sound Question

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
If I buy one of those surround sound systems, does it just replace the receiver in my currently 10 year old Kenwood stereo system?

In other worrds, is the component in the surround sound kit a receiver that allows me to control the cd player, dvd player, etc??

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Phillips unit I have is also a receiver. I then connect my TV / DVD / VCR / PS2 to it. Also has wireless speakers. I love surround sound now.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
If I buy one of those surround sound systems, does it just replace the receiver in my currently 10 year old Kenwood stereo system?

In other worrds, is the component in the surround sound kit a receiver that allows me to control the cd player, dvd player, etc??
If you buy a "Home-Theater-in-a-Box" kit then yes, most of these contain a receiver that will control your CD player, DVD player etc. It'll replace your Kenwood.
Most have multiple inputs (I can't think of one that doesn't) and video switching.
You can also go the separate route and buy speakers and a receiver separate from each other.
You'll pay more, but it allows you to get better individual components.
Depends on how much you're willing to spend vs how much you really need.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Yes. Depending on the unit it will connect to and run your other componets. Realistically what you will find is the "theatre in a box", Sony, yamaha, Bose, will usually come with a CD player.

Buying the componets separately allows you to build a more powerful system. For example the system I put togather has the full surround dolby capability with two 1000 watt amps running six speakers. The presents real life sound. I use the simple Bose system more often because its in my lounge. It came with a CD and DVD player. SImple easy.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Basically the answer is yes.

Sounds like you already have speakers though.

Just get a new receiver if that is the case and you can do everything you do with it now PLUS have the processor for surround decoding.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Basically the answer is yes.

Sounds like you already have speakers though.

Just get a new receiver if that is the case and you can do everything you do with it now PLUS have the processor for surround decoding.
Well...funny you brought that up. The Kenwood speakers are the kind that are literally 3 feet tall and like 18" wide. They sound fine but I would love to eliminate them for some smaller ones. :grin:

Attachments

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Although...if someone said, "David, those look good on each side of the entertainment center," then I would probably go with just a new receiver.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
man, I have a Sony that all came together in one box. It has awesome speakers, a bass woofer that will rock the house, and then I changed out the speakers in order to upgrade...go all new, though...it's a guy thing!

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
man, I have a Sony that all came together in one box. It has awesome speakers, a bass woofer that will rock the house, and then I changed out the speakers in order to upgrade...go all new, though...it's a guy thing!
Yep. More power.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Although...if someone said, "David, those look good on each side of the entertainment center," then I would probably go with just a new receiver.
David, those look good on each side of the entertainment center...although, you will need at least three more speakers for proper 5.1 surround sound. The point 1 represents the sub woofer which you could probably do without for a bit but once you watched a movie with one you will likely want one.

One center channel over the TV and two surrounds one at each end of the couch...to your left and right while viewing the TV.

I know your couch is right against the wall so a 6.1 or 7.1 setup would not be practical, even though any receiver you find attractive would likely be prepared for either one.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
David, those look good on each side of the entertainment center...although, you will need at least three more speakers for proper 5.1 surround sound. The point 1 represents the sub woofer which you could probably do without for a bit but once you watched a movie with one you will likely want one.

One center channel over the TV and two surrounds one at each end of the couch...to your left and right while viewing the TV.

I know your couch is right against the wall so a 6.1 or 7.1 setup would not be practical, even though any receiver you find attractive would likely be prepared for either one.
Ii came with the other 3. The center one is actually above the silver Panasonic DVD recorder (hard to see) and the 2 backs are well....behind me in the picture. :grin:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
There you go then.

Just get the new receiver and you can take advantage of all the improvements in surround sound over the past twenty years. :rofl:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
There you go then.

Just get the new receiver and you can take advantage of all the improvements in surround sound over the past twenty years. :rofl:
My concern is whether 10 year old speakers are worth integrating into a new setup. :dunno:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
My concern is whether 10 year old speakers are worth integrating into a new setup. :dunno:
I would say yes.

As a matter of fact those speakers may actually perform better.

Unless you are asking for an excuse to buy new ones. :devil:

At our old house I had both a component surround system and a home theater in the box (HTITB) setup and there is a considerable difference in performance between the two.

Granted, the Sony HTITB was surround sound and did sound good. It was just no where near the quality of sound or surround experience that my Yamaha/Boston Acoustics setup provided.