What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Im going to get back in the game this weekend hopefully and brew up a Rauchbier(smoked beer). KYP........

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I did up a cider in November I think. Its cloudy/hazy as hell because I did a beer mash and added the hot uncooled wort straight to the apple juice. I don't particularly care if its clear but I permanently set the pectins doing that. The taste is awesome even being so young. It's crisp apple tart with a slight taste of nutmeg/cinnamon that gives a perception of more body than it really has.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I am just about ready to keg up my last batch of american IPA, and I think I will then take a shot at making MEADE for the first time.

I have a three corny keg cooler with three taps, and I would like to have an Ale, Meade, and a Cider on tap by the time spring rolls around.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Sounds like a yeast made for a stout.

I'm in the middle of brewing up a stout using some odd here and there grains. I think it'll be good I'm using the WLP099 yeast because my Tsar Bomba is stalled at 1.050. When this stout is done fermenting I'll transfer off the yeast wash it, and then put the stout on top of the 099. I hope to get each to finish out at around 1.020.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Brewed the Octane IPA from Midwest today. Now the hard part, waiting.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I think I am really going to get into this brewing thing. Going to start saving money to take the next step. I can smoke cigars while I brew, what more do I need?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Dive in head first! Depending on what type of beer you like and your brewing skill development, you can save yourself a ton of money. If you like highly hopped IPAs, you're looking at $35 a case at least typically. Once all the equipment is procured it costs you about that for two cases. If you go grain, it's less. When you start looking at the 10%+ brews you save considerable coinage brewing your own. Dogfish Head World Wide Stout is like $200 a case at 18%abv. I made a 14% stout in Feb for about $60, and made another that is slightly bigger for about $75.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Cracked open my first home brew today, an amber ale has been bottles for 2 weeks today. It is rewarding knowing that I made this and I think I just might open another. I bet next week it will be even better.

lucky1

Average Joe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats JRL! I'm also a brewing newbie. I just started a few months ago. My first batch was an Oktoberfest with a Mr. Beer kit. I was hooked after that. I upgraded to a 5 gallon kit. I just bottled my first partial mash brew yesterday. It's an Oatmeal Stout. I currently have a Honey Lager conditioning and a Wheat Ale fermenting.

Yes they do get better with age. The sweet spot with my Oktoberfest was 2 weeks conditioning in the bottles at room temp than another 2 weeks in fridge. Good luck!

Tony

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Bottled up my Kotbüsser last night. It finished at 1.022 nice golden color. I will check a bottle in three weeks to see how it turned out. It sat cold conditioning in my garage for about three weeks before bottling. It should be NICE and clear in a glass.

I also moved my tripel from my keg into a 6gal better bottle it has a great flavor. That beer is almost done fermenting it was still slowly going when I transferred. Should finish around 10%.

The stout I did with odds and ends grains I had has fermented a little lower than I wanted. I will have to doctor it up at bottling with some malto dextrin and lactose sugar. The low finishing gravity could be due to the 24oz of grade B maple syrup. I might add some homemade bacon vodka to the beer also at bottling.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got in the homebrew game myself! Currently fermenting is a Black Ale with a pound and a half mix of 2 row, de-bittered black, crystal 90L, and 7 lbs of amber extract. The hops are Galena that I boiled at 60 and 15 mins. I know it's only an extract batch, but still super excited to see how it turns out!

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Sunday I am starting a Raspberry Wheat for the wife. Also going to add oak to the IPA that has been fermenting for 2 weeks tomorrow. I have a bottle of the amber I am cracking open tonight to see how 5 days in the fridge did it.
So glad I have stuff coming down the pipeline now.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Started my first batch this week. An Irish Stout kit. Created a wyeast irish ale starter instead of the stuff in the kit. Can't wait to see how it turns out. The OG didn't match what the kit said it should at all, so I think I may not have had enough water left after the boil. Its bubbling nicely in the fermenter right now though.

lucky1

Average Joe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having some crazy symptoms since I began brewing beer a few months ago. About a week ago I suspected it might be the beer, so I cracked one open (a honey larger) and drank it slowly to watch for symptoms. About 30 minutes after I finished it, my chest started tightening causing me to cough a lot. Felt sort of like bronchitis. I also got very tired and went to bed. The following morning I had a dry red rash with blisters on the back of my hands and a very bad headache! I only had 1 beer. I started thinking back to the other days I had the same symptoms and they all coincided with drinking beers that I made. No one else that drank my beer had any reaction. Since I never had a reaction with a commercial beer that I can remember, I'm thinking it's the live yeast. I've brewed oatmeal stout, honey lager, oktoberfest and a hoppy wheat. I can't pinpoint if one is causing more of a reaction than another and I don't want to play detective. The symptoms seem to get worse each time. Luckily I got an appt with an allergist. I will be meeting with him later today. I hope he can pinpoint what is specifically causing this. If it's my homebrew, I'm gonna be devasted! :angeryell

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Nothing like that. Most that I got when I first started drinking lots of bottle conditioned homebrews was really frequent and smelly farts. Now I'm normal which by my wife's definition is still frequent and really smelly. However now compared to when I first made homebrews is drastically different.

My mother actually has an allergy to yeast. A sip of my beer gives her enough yeast to have major digestive repercussions.

If you find out it's a yeast allergy you can try a filtering setup to see if it helps. There are only a few nationally distributed breweries that bottle condition beer. I think Sierra Nevada, and Bells are the two biggest I know of. There are many others and MANY belgians do as well.

An other option could be dishwasher pasteurizing for you. Maybe it's a sensitivity to live yeast but if you killed all the little buggers you'd be okay?

If it's not the yeast it could be something in extract if you're not doing grain brewing.