What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Do you want to brew malt extract batches or use all grain? I ask because if you like hefeweizens you could just buy a bag of malted wheat from a maltster like Weyermann. You could also buy the necessary hops in bulk, 1lb that is, and should keep you well supplied with hefeweizen.

My advise is get a brew pot bigger than you think you'll need. If you're doing extract get at least a 10 gal pot that way you can do full fermentor volume boils for better hop usage and better flavor. Then if you're doing all grain I'd suggest a 15 gal pot. That will give you expansion room for the future, trust me. I first bought a 4 gal aluminum for stove top boils. Then I bought a 10gal pot and decided I wanted a 15 gal pot. Now I'm looking at putting my purse down and getting myself a 25gal pot hahaha. That will be a fully customized pot for my specific application and brewing style which of course means I cannot buy off any site. Plus if I could it'd run me $700 I'm guessing.

When it comes to fermentors I'm partial to better bottle fermentors. You can drop them and they bounce instead of shatter. They are just as if not more impermeable to oxygen when combined with their carboy bung and a good air lock. My sour beers in better bottles never get a snotty looking film because that film is a reaction to oxygen, and my better bottles never get them. Not like other fermentors. Glass are fine I just find them to be heavy, slippery when wet, and I'm scared to death to drop one.

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I will be doing my first homebrew this weekend. I jump into 5gal BIAB and have everything set up and ready to go. First batch is a light Scottish Ale from Midwest. I also have an IPA & RIS waiting. I figured the Scotch Ale would be the best to start with. I'll keep you all posted on how my first brew goes. I'm excited (and thirsty!)

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Brew day went well and I did hit the low end of the target OG at 1.042. Would one of you seasoned brewers help me see what my efficiency is? What do I need to calculate it?

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Technology

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thanks! I think I didn't do too bad. Found this site and figured out my efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Technology

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I just brewed up a large batch of a sourish belgian brown. This is intended to be a fairly quick sour with just a clean no rope formation lactobacillus. So I got 14 gallons of that brewed Saturday and I bottled up about 12 gal of my most recent saison brew. I have three cases of 750s a handful of 12oz bottles, a 1.5L bottle and a 9L bottle filled with the saison. The 9L bottle will be saved for a eventual new housewarming party when I move closer to work.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Well I just brewed up a large batch of a sourish belgian brown. This is intended to be a fairly quick sour with just a clean no rope formation lactobacillus. So I got 14 gallons of that brewed Saturday and I bottled up about 12 gal of my most recent saison brew. I have three cases of 750s a handful of 12oz bottles, a 1.5L bottle and a 9L bottle filled with the saison. The 9L bottle will be saved for a eventual new housewarming party when I move closer to work.
I just discovered sour beer at a local brewey in my college town. Yum! Can't believe I've been missing out on it.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
It's all I tend to make at home. I have four fermentors full right now and they're all sours. I can get all the IPA, pale ale, stout, and lagers at work I want for free. Buying sours can be expensive at like $9/750ml for Rodenbach Grand Cru and it only goes up from there. They're time consuming to make and require patience but very much worth it to me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've currently got a black hefeweizen in the fermenting fridge. Hopped solely with Nelson Sauvin. About 5 IBU at 60 mins, then about 13 IBU at 10 mins. Will dry hop at 1.5g/L. Used Breiss Midnight wheat to get the colour without the roast character.

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
Just purchased the stuff for my SCBA: Special Cashew Brown Ale.

Hopefully in the next couple days then I will be hitting up Colossus in March again.

Sent from the voices in my head using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About to bottle a 7 gallon batch of semi-dry English cider tonight. The alcohol content is a little bit high (just over 10%) :yes: but I'm not complaining.

Just started my first batch of mead last weekend. It is fermenting a little slow (its kinda chilly in my apartment) but is making good progress.

I am starting another batch of the cider and a Rogue Dead Guy ale clone this weekend.

Happy brewing,

Aaron

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Brewing a Bourbon Vanilla Coconut Porter today, yea say that 5 times fast...lol First time trying it but pretty excited about it!

Has anyone else tried using unsweetened coconut in a brew before? Do you think the oils from the coconut will affect head retention? I'm thinking adding two pounds of coconut to the secondary after toasting it in a skillet.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Brewing a Bourbon Vanilla Coconut Porter today, yea say that 5 times fast...lol First time trying it but pretty excited about it!

Has anyone else tried using unsweetened coconut in a brew before? Do you think the oils from the coconut will affect head retention? I'm thinking adding two pounds of coconut to the secondary after toasting it in a skillet.
I keep saying I'm gonna get into this. Too many hobbies and vices that I call hobbies already lol. Sounds good like to hear how it turns out

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Sorry, wrong quote, but yea forty I've loved every minute of this hobby, and you get to reap the rewards of all your time and efforts when its time to drink the beer!

Last edited: