What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I can't tell you for sure about the oils damaging the foam stability. If it tastes good who cares, right?

I keep saying I'm gonna get into this. Too many hobbies and vices that I call hobbies already lol. Sounds good like to hear how it turns out[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya on that one! I'm def gona make it either way. I'm thinking as long as I don't add the coconut to the boil and just add to secondary maybe not as much oil will be released...

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I can't tell you for sure about the oils damaging the foam stability. If it tastes good who cares, right?

I keep saying I'm gonna get into this. Too many hobbies and vices that I call hobbies already lol. Sounds good like to hear how it turns out
I'm with ya on that one! I'm def gona make it either way. I'm thinking as long as I don't add the coconut to the boil and just add to secondary maybe not as much oil will be released...[/QUOTE]

Toast the coconut in a wok before adding it to secondary. The toasting will render a lot of the oils out, helping to keep head retention.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I make bacon vodka from time to time and in order to not end up with fatty vodka I freeze it and the skim/filter the fat out. I imagine you could put this porter at near freezing temps or slightly beflow and it won't freeze. Then if its in a bucket you could skim off the hardened oils if they do in fact solidify. I guess that depends on the oils themselves and I don't have a whole lot of experience with coconut.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Just racked my Porter (soon to be bourbon, vanilla, coconut porter) into the secondary...looking and smelling great! I also have two cut up vanilla beans sitting in some Eagle Rare bourbon that im going to add in a week or so...making myself thirsty!

uploadfromtaptalk1360356072978.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360356098111.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bottled up my first batch and I do have to say all went well!
Congrats man! I'm a homebrew addict and I love every day of it. Have fun and enjoy your brew with a great smoke.

My roommates asked me to help them get started brewing so we started a simple Cincinnati pale ale yesterday that I believe will turn out great.

I'm still aging the cider and the mead is just about to go into secondary.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well tomorrow I am bottling the lambic I brewed last year around this time. My friend and I have 10 gallons to bottle. I will bottle some unprimed as straight lambic and the rest will get carb as a gueuze. The straight lambic will go in a cellar for at least 2-3 years before I even open the bottles. They may develop a light level of carbonation after that time but I want to have those for years to come as I make more lambic over the next fews years.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've never attempted a lambic. Good luck! I hear they are a lot of work (and waiting), but are well worth it.

The cider turned out great and was gone in the blink of an eye.

I just helped the roommates bottle their first batch (The Cincinnati Pale) and hopefully it turns out well for them.

I have an Irish Red in primary which is a first for me, and the mead is still slowly bubbling away in secondary.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I just took a beginners brewing class that a local beer/wine making store did. Brewed my first batch on Sunday. Chocolate milk stout been bubbling away in the primary. Gonna be a long couple weeks waiting to try it.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Picked up a 5 gallon oak whiskey barrel to start making some fun beers in. First thing I think I am going to attempt is a DFH Burton Baton clone. It's a blend of an oak aged Olde Ale and DFH 90 Minute.

New toys rule!!

photo.jpg

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Here's my RIS next to a Founders Imperial Stout. Mine is on the right and is now sitting on 4 shots of Knob Creak & 1oz of scraped out vanilla beans. Came in @ 6.8% ABV. Didn't hit my target OG. But it did taste good as a sample. Now gotta wait.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Sweet dude. Last week I moved 5 gal of my 14 gal dubbel batch into a ferment with about 5lbs of sour cherries I had frozen from this past summer. I also added a brett blend to the fermentor. I know me doing something funky is such a surprise. Nothing else going on at my house though. I want to brew so much but with the impending move this summer I don't want to be 4 months into a fermentation just to have to move fermenting beer. Of course I could just keg the fermenting beer up for the move I guess......

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I tasted a fermentor I had going of wort from where I used to work that I fermented at home with Wyeast Roeselare Blend. It's appropriately sour but it has a weird flavor that I don't even want as a component of a blend. So I opened the little racking valve on my 5gal better bottle and let it run down the drain.

I'm pretty sure that I'll have time next weekend to finally get a homebrew in again. I want to make a tripel in a bad way. I am aiming to make 12 gal so I can do a side experiment with 3ish gal of it as a sour tripel as long as I can find the bacterial probiotic I want to play with for making a "quick" sour.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Here is my 15 gal barrel that will soon be the home of my imperial stout that I brewed back in October. I might do a quick French press mini mash and boil just to give a little fresh wort in the barrel to prevent oxidation from the transfer. This better be good beer considering the effort I am putting into it. So far it is quite awesome and hope to produce something similar at work. This will be hitting glasses Christmas this year.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So for those of you that are interested in making a sour beer but don't want it to take FOREVER may be in luck. There's a product called Good Belly that you can buy at Whole Foods (and others but I only found it at WF). It a specifically very acid tolerant species of lactobacillus that comes in pure form in this probiotic. So you know exactly what you are putting in your brew. All other probiotics are mixes of stuff that might affect the beer in a weird way like pediococcus and its viscosity. Additionally this stuff is pretty damn cheap. It's way cheaper than a tube of yeast/bacteria from the yeast supply labs and so far I know it works in unhopped wort. I will grab some hopped wort this week at work and report back on its ability to withstand hop acids. The pH of my little dried malt extract wort test started at around 5.5pH (measured with my meter) and when I checked it today (a week later) it was at 2.98pH. It tastes sour and clean so it's perfect. I can't wait to play with this in beer pending the hop tolerance. If I cannot use it in hopped wort I know I could at least do a killer controlled sour mash with this stuff.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Finally got the lambic brewed in Feb of 2012 all bottled up. Some is bottled as unprimed straight lambic that might pick up a little carb over time from just a little bit of fermentation in the next 3-5 years. The rest were primed to be geuze like and rather effervescent. I think tomorrow I'll be bottling up a saison recipe that I fermented with yeast from bottles of lambic as the only fermenting yeasts/bacteria.

Tomorrow is brewday for another batch of lambic or saison I'm undecided on what I want to brew. I think I need more aged hops to do another lambic so I will likely brew the saison and use some aged hops in the beer like they would have way back in the day on the farm where the style of saison originated. I have been making my saisons lower and lower in alcohol and funkier and more sour with each subsequent batch. I don't know how much funkier and sour I can get at this point using a mixed culture and fresh/aged hops.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Can you explain the "french press mini mash" addition of fresh wort? I want to move 8 gal of RIS to secondary but would like to do whatever I can to avoid oxidation as it will sit like this for 6 months +