What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey The542, how are you liking the Bug? I've got one and only used it once or twice so far.
They do alright, they're not terribly accurate at FG, but they do let you know when ferm is done. When I can see that it's done I can set the Johnson for 70 and let it clean up w/o having to thief. These will be cold crashing tomorrow then kegging on some gelatin. I'll let them sit for a couple months, then run them through the hop rocket a couple times. This batch just came in waaaay too hot and needs some mellow time. I kinda let the boil go too long, went ten points higher than I wanted.

http://www.thebeerbug.com/main/index.php?id=20000c2a6906ba69

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I like the idea of the beer bug, mainly cause I'm sort of geeky. The other hand, I haven't taken a O.G or F.G. in the last 40 batches I've made. I know what the beer should be based on the ingredients I use and figure the outcome it roughly w/in 10% of that. As long as I like the beer, that's all that matters to me, and so far I'm doing pretty good at that. I spend to much time w/ my day job analyzing data, just don't feel like doing any more on my hobbies if it's not crucial.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Kegged a American Hefe and Hop Bomb IIPa yesterday...which ment empty fermenters and we can't have that now can we? So, I brewed a fantome saison clone today. Believe it or not looking back at my brew notes over the years I have never done this beer style before. Interesting recipe with bitter orange peel, seeds of paradise, and a bit of coriander as well. Tomorrow's fermenter will be filled with a recipe that I have had great success with the past 3 brews, Blind Pig IPA.

Now if only the new outdoor man cave would be finished I could move there and not have to worry about LP tanks or searching around the garage for beer equipment. All gonna be in one place soon, but that's another thread ;)

Mikes

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I will drink anything but thats lots of hefe to drink! I might have less than 5 a year. So whats it like only brewing just under about 7 full batches a year? ;)
Bwahahaha!!!

And I agree with that being a lot of hefe to go through. I rarely drink them (just preference) but I do make a pineapple hefe during the summer every now and then that people tear through

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I think I will plan on brewing 16 ish gal of my 5%abv sour that ive been making the last few years. Got to keep the pipeline stocked, and well I just bottled last years batch.

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I will drink anything but thats lots of hefe to drink! I might have less than 5 a year. So whats it like only brewing just under about 7 full batches a year? ;)
I'd have a hard time drinking 35 gallons of hefe too. This batch is going to a Buddy's wedding party.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I have not started brewing yet, but one of my buddies does so I went over to brew with him just to see it in person. So we brewed some Red ale, but he thought the title was too Boeing because he also had a recipe kit for Caribou Slobber. So we renamed it Comrade Putin's Red Ale.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'd have a hard time drinking 35 gallons of hefe too. This batch is going to a Buddy's wedding party.
That makes sense. Hope he has a bunch of Bavarian relatives....

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I realized I never made a brown ale. I have a bunch of older base grains from a few years ago that I decided to make a hodge podge beer for tomorrow. The base is a mix of Baird's Maris Otter, some Vienna, and some Munich, then amber, brown, and pale chocolate for the specialties. Hops are nugget, hallertau, and tett. We call this the "use up all the old ingredients" beer and I figure a brown ale would be a good style to do this with. I figure I'll fill my pin cask for tapping at Thanksgiving maybe, the rest will just go on tap in my garage. I'm fermenting with a blend of English yeasts, I don't do pure cultures; they're boring.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 gallons of EdWort's Oktoberfest will be going from the secondary to the keg tomorrow. Been cold crashing for a week now. One pass through the filter and it should be ready for our annual Halloween party.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well I have 12 gal of 1.070 wort fermenting with english yeast. I hope its decent using all left over ingredients. I'm going for a herbal/spicy/floral thing with the noble hops and nugget hops. I ended up using a pure culture. The last time I used an english blend I didn't label the tube I stuck my yeast in, and I did a belgian mix at the same time. So I have no idea which tube was which yeast I couldn't discern by smell alone. I just smelled yeast.

The wort smelled great and tasted good.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Pumped out 10 gal of a single decocted "OctoberFast" over the weekend, instead of a traditional German lager yeast we use an Alt yeast to turn it faster and it works really well... Transferred 10gal of imperial porter to secondary with pumpkin pie spices that will be kegged up tonight. Gotta bottle half a keg of a Brett pale ale to free up a keg so I can get 10gal of saison fermented with yeast I harvested from a bottle of Prairie Standard into kegs and carbed. Easily the best Saison I have ever made...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Just picked up six gallons of cider from the local orchard. I figured why not! I will just sanitize a fermentor, dump the cider in and let it ferment away with safale 04.