What's new

Homebrewers - Whats Fermenting?

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just bottled up a batch of sweet stout. This is the second time I've made this. First time was too bitter, but still delicious. I tweaked the recipe a bit and this one is good, really creamy and not too bitter.

Next batch is likely to be a German Pilsner. That recipe is a double decoction, which makes for an interesting, and sometimes challenging, brew day. First wort hopped and dry hopped. Really nice summer lager.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just brewed an American Wheat. It was a simple extract kit. And even though it doesnt call for a secondary fermentation, I am doing one with some peaches in it to see if I can make a peach wheat beer. Next up is an Irish Red that I am going to do bourbon soaked oak chips in the secondary. Should be interesting. Also just upgraded my kettle finally and installed a thermometer.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have my irish red (extract kit from Northern Brewer) in secondary with Jameson soaked oak chips. And a batch of American Wheat split into two 2.5 gal batches for secondary. One had peaches added and the onther left alone for control.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Boiling a batch of my saisonish/ lambicesque beer that uses both aged and fresh hops along with a very under pitched totally wild culture from iambic bottles. Available souring cultures were too boring to me so I conditioned my own and it sours and funks quick.

Here is crystallized lupulin glands at the bottom of my weighing bowl. This came from serebrianka hops I bought 2/3 years ago. I poked the bag and kept it in my garage to heat up and oxidize a few years.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Boiling a batch of my saisonish/ lambicesque beer that uses both aged and fresh hops along with a very under pitched totally wild culture from iambic bottles. Available souring cultures were too boring to me so I conditioned my own and it sours and funks quick.

Here is crystallized lupulin glands at the bottom of my weighing bowl. This came from serebrianka hops I bought 2/3 years ago. I poked the bag and kept it in my garage to heat up and oxidize a few years.
That sounds awesome man, I'm not in the market at this exact moment, but I would love to buy a sample of your culture to play with in the future.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Can someone point me in a easy way to start? Thanks
First, read and research a lot. Howtobrew.com is a free web version of the home brewers bible and while it may not be the most up to date version it will tell you what you need to know. Start with simple recipes that are tried and true before getting crazy with things. I only brewed 4 Mr Beer extract kits before jumping into all grain but many people stick with extract for longer. As long as you enjoy it, that's what matters. Temperature control during fermentation is the most important thing followed closely by sanitation and cleaning. It's difficult for me to control fermentation temps without room for a temp controlled freezer currently so when it's hot I brew Saison and wines as they don't require cool fermentation. Feel free to pm me with any questions