What's new

HomeRoll - Blend 4 - @Nic

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Doing another review of Nic’s blends this time it’s ‘Blend 4’ which appears to be a tweak in the filler. I’ll add in a bit more to this review as I paid more attention to what was going on with this blend.
20160822_190555.jpg
Roller: Nic
Size: 6” x 47rg
Filler: Nicaraguan Criollo Seco , Columbian Seco, Nicaraguan Criollo Ligero
Binder: Jorge’s Ecuadorian
Wrapper: Jorge's H2K

This stick is nearly identical in construction and appearance as Blend 2 and almost identical in filler tobaccos. The tweak appears to be sans the Dominican Viso, which was replaced with the Colombian seco. Overall construction seems very solid for a home roll and as @Wasz had mentioned in his review has a rustic appearance.

Again, I did not bother getting my boogers all over the cigar by huffing the hell out of the wrapper, foot, or cap or further sucking a few cold draws. I personally do not see the point in doing this, whatever notes you get on a cold draw will change immediate once the tobacco is smoldering. So let’s move on to what I think of the stick while it’s burning!
20160822_191147.jpg
The first light revealed much of the same notes of blend 2. The smoke is thick and creamy in texture, with a big blast of a slightly bitter roasted coffee and a black pepper noted on the retro. Body starts out at medium mark. These notes are nearly identical to my first experience with blend 2, I just didn’t get the coco notes as I did before.
20160822_192306.jpg
The first third on the initial draw there is more of the black coffee, an earthy black pepper finish and a white pepper on the retro. Finish is much longer than the first light and has a meaty and salty component—very nice flavors and slightly different from Blend 2. Smoke is thick and creamy and he body has moved to the medium to full mark with no strength detected yet. Ash held through the first third, excellent construction!

The second third the same flavors continue but on the start of the second third I noticed a peanut/pistachio like nuttiness which was really tasty! This flavor is not noted on each draw but goes very well with the core of earthy notes in this blend. The second third of this stick also reveals a few subtle transitions which I wish continued through the blend but are none the less enjoyable. Every so often I note cherries and toast, although their very faint. There is also a darker fruit component with a very mild sweetness which comes and goes. Strength has ramped up a this point while the bodied settled at the medium mark. As I finish the second third the finish is more earthy with an sweet component noted. This was definitely the highlight of this blend! Weird to think that swapping the viso would change things as much as it did. Overall it’s very similar in flavors just a few transitions noted which were not present in my experience with Blend 2. Strength has ramped up to a medium plus at this point, definitely lets you know it’s there but doesn’t make me woozy. The ash held for almost the entire second third and smoke was plentiful and creamy.

The final third continues to carry the core of the earth flavors noted in the first and second third but there is a noted bakers chocolate and spice on the retro. A few subtle transitions would be a leather component and musty tobacco which was present every so often on the intial draw. The retro on the final third also occasionally reveals a very faint orange/citrus like flavor which was interesting. I am not sure I like that flavor with this profile. I only notice this a few times and before I finish out the stick it’s already gone.

This cigar is highly similar to blend two but with more complexity and some fun transitions noted. If you have one of these blends, give it a shot.

Overall great performance, only a few touch ups needed, and good flavors! @nic you’ve definitely have a profile going much like @BrewinHooligan does with his blends.

Thanks again for the stick brother!

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
There is also a darker fruit component with a very mild sweetness which comes and goes.
@nic is that something that happens from the way the blend is put together or is it just the nature of the tobacco used? I mean the way the flavor goes in and out.

Nice review @Daven I gotta smoke some more of the home rolls I have.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I see these and they look interesting. Would these be for beginner, intermediate or advanced smokers? In other words a LFD D700 or Diamond Crown #5?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I think @blisscigarco and @BrewinHooligan did an all ligero blend, don't know if they tried them yet

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
My all ligero blend just hit the 2 month mark and I will be trying it soon. If not tonight, sometime this holiday weekend.

I completely agree with this review @Daven. @nic has a definite profile locked in and I personally find it a nice change of pace from mine and I'm glad I have a few more to enjoy.