What's new

Hookah Help

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
in lieu of my recent doubled expenses...I've been looking for w alittle weekend/evening work on the side to make a few extra bucks.

long story short, I found a posting on craigslist seeking help at a local hookah bar/lounge. I called the number and the owner wants me to swing by tonight around 10...but I do have a question.

I consider myself a pretty avid tobacco enthusiast, but know little to nothing about hookahs. So gents...where are the hookah nuts? what are the bare minimums I need to know? Any help? Please!!!...it would be very much appreciated!

thanks fellas

Ready...GO!

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
There's the man!

Tyler...what's up buddy?

you worked at one of these places....what do I need to know/be able to do? What kind of stuff are they gonna ask me? Is my cigar knowledge (not that it's extensive( gonna help me at all or should I not even bring it up?

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
When I was interviewed, I told them how long I had been smoking and all my experience. I found that most of the guys who worked there were also avid cigar smokers. They'll probably ask you more about stuff like dealing with people, such as greeting, ordering, striking up conversations, etc. I would bring up the fact that you teach high school classes, as communication is pretty important for your main job! I would say that interacting with customers is 90% of the job, and actually preparing the hookahs is only 10%. They will be glad to teach you how they prepare hookahs, and I even did some training. Everybody prepares their own hookah a little differently, and I even adjusted the way I make a bowl of shisha for the lounge.

Also, be sure to check out that link I posted above. Be familiar with the parts of a hookah, what shisha is made from (molasses/corn syrup, vegetable glycerin, tobacco), and most of all don't be afraid at all to ask about anything! They would rather you ask and have them show you then for you to just guess and have to do it again.
Basic knowledge of hookah parts and what shisha is will be more than sufficient.

Remember that it's mostly about how you interact with their customers. It's easy enough to teach people how to prepare a hookah, but you can't really teach someone how to interact with people. So if I were you, I would go in there knowing about the different hookah parts, a little bit about shisha, some knowledge about coals (there's quick-light coals and natural coals), and most importantly be sure to show them you can positively interact with their customers.

Good luck on the job, bro! Tell me if I didn't cover anything!

TYLER

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
well...here's how it went...

I went in on Friday night, met the owners, shot the shit and I though everything went well. They told me they wanted me to come in the next night, they'd train me up, and I would actually start that night! Oh, and for the record, they told me they no longer needed a server/bartender, but a night manager. I would be making $10 and hour plus tips under the table...PERFECT! (for a weekend job anyway). Regardless, about a half-hour before I was supposed to go in, they called me back and said that they were actually going to close for the winter, and that they wouldn;t need me yet. They also said they would call me back in about six weeks when they open back up again...so, for now, it's a no-go...oh well..guess I gotta keep looking.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
well...here's how it went...

I went in on Friday night, met the owners, shot the shit and I though everything went well. They told me they wanted me to come in the next night, they'd train me up, and I would actually start that night! Oh, and for the record, they told me they no longer needed a server/bartender, but a night manager. I would be making $10 and hour plus tips under the table...PERFECT! (for a weekend job anyway). Regardless, about a half-hour before I was supposed to go in, they called me back and said that they were actually going to close for the winter, and that they wouldn;t need me yet. They also said they would call me back in about six weeks when they open back up again...so, for now, it's a no-go...oh well..guess I gotta keep looking.
Damn...that's a real pisser......