What's new

Hot Chocolate/Cocoa

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Being the cold time of year, I was wondering how many brothers here make their own hot chocolate or hot cocoa? Do you add anything to the cup to spice it up a bit? Do you have any pairings with cigars that you enjoy? Thanks!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
A really common cigar that goes well with hot chocolate is Fuente 8-5-8s. Natural or Maduro, doesn't matter.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightweights!!

There is hot chocolate.... and then there is "drinking chocolate."

As the Scots say, if its ney drinking chocolate, its crap!

:)

LOL - just joking. On a trip to Seattle I discovered this stuff < http://chocolatvitale.com/ > and its some of the best I have ever had (I order it en bulk now :) ). They don't call it hot chocolate, but rather drinking chocolate and guys, this stuff deserves the distinction (at least I think it does). I generally make it with a mixture of half and half and milk.

It really doesn't pay to drink this stuff in huge amounts. A nice small mug to sip on, complements a large majority of cigars. I think its by far my favorite pairing especially in the colder months.

P1020444.jpg

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I make mine from a can.. Ghirardelli or world market... I spice it up wit rum chata
Damn, I never thought of Rumchata!

As a quick aside, a buddy of mine told me about a take-off of the White Russian. Instead of using cream, he uses Horchata and calls it the Soviet Muchacho

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I find that hot chocolate or any drink like that pairs horribly with cigars. It like coats my mouth with a thick film and I can't taste anything....

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I do a couple of things.

1) When I need the zing of caffeine in the morning to get going and don't care as much about taste, I'll make a packet of Swiss Miss instant but, instead of using water, I use coffee. You're welcome <grin>

2) When I want something to actually enjoy, I also use the Ghirardelli chocolate and use a combination of whole milk and half&half. I've use chili powder to add that spiciness to it. I'll have try cayenne next time.

3) Add peppermint schnapps to kick it up, too.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Oh, and if you've never had White Hot Chocolate... you're missing out on something magical. Assuming you like white chocolate.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
4 shots of espresso. Never was a huge fan of hot chocolate. Especially made with water, yuk.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
When I need the zing of caffeine in the morning to get going and don't care as much about taste, I'll make a packet of Swiss Miss instant but, instead of using water, I use coffee. You're welcome <grin>
That was my "office" version of a mocha latte for years :)

8 oz of basic office coffee (folgers or whatever the office had on tap at the time).. 2 creamers.. and a swiss miss packet...

was horribly delicious! :grin:

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
My Recipe:

Warm up Half & Half in a pot and start mixing cocoa powder in until it turns dark. Then add sugar and taste it with a teaspoon every three or four scoops. When it's turns into creamy sweet perfection it is almost done. Now you just add a little butter and drink until your belly gets fat. ;)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Cool post...It inspired me today with all this snow so I made some Aztec something-or-other hot chocolate mix that we got as a gift. It's essentially shaved bittersweet chocolate with spices of some sort...very good stuff...Pairing it now with a '99 Bolivar Corona Extra and it is a fantastic match. Excellent winter smoking action.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool post...It inspired me today with all this snow so I made some Aztec something-or-other hot chocolate mix that we got as a gift. It's essentially shaved bittersweet chocolate with spices of some sort...very good stuff...Pairing it now with a '99 Bolivar Corona Extra and it is a fantastic match. Excellent winter smoking action.
Welcome to the dark side :).

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
When I need the zing of caffeine in the morning to get going and don't care as much about taste, I'll make a packet of Swiss Miss instant but, instead of using water, I use coffee. You're welcome <grin>
That was my "office" version of a mocha latte for years :)

8 oz of basic office coffee (folgers or whatever the office had on tap at the time).. 2 creamers.. and a swiss miss packet...

was horribly delicious! :grin:
Yup at my old office I use to do this all the time, loved when it had the little marshmallows too.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
(that moment when you think you've invented something but...) <grin>

A lot of us add spices to our hot chocolate. I mentioned I use chili powder, someone else said cayenne pepper. Anybody else use something different?

I am wondering how tequila would go in a Mexican hot chocolate...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Who likes hot tequila?

Due to my geography, I've got opinions that may vary from those opinions of others, but I'm inclined to keep mi tequila y mi chocolate separado. :smokingme

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Who likes hot tequila?

Due to my geography, I've got opinions that may vary from those opinions of others, but I'm inclined to keep mi tequila y mi chocolate separado. :smokingme
I'd never want to drink tequila hot (or even warm) but I've used it in cooking, so it's certainly been an added flavor and also been hot. I also don't like my rum hot but, if it's ni a dessert or other dish as an ingredient, it works quite well.

I'll have to try it...