What's new

"Houristically Significant" Watch recomendations/help

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I know there are some brothers with profound watch knowledge. I need some help.

I would like to buy a watch that:

Is on a bracelet band
Can be worn to work or in formal situations (ie: looks good with "banker blues" and greys, but also when wearing black)
Is "conservative" (ie not something with a giant face, or something that will prevent me getting my cuff links in)

Basically something I, as a new Vice President, can wear in front of the big boys at Citibank HQ in NY but doesn't cost as much as a Rolex Submariner.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I always am on the look out on Groupon for fun watches I can wear to work. (The name or brand is never really what I judge them on) I found the 'Stuhrling Original' watches to be nice looking sub-$150 watches on groupon and have 3 of them. I get complimens on them frequently.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I'm kind of a newbie watch guy; not sure I have anything over $100 in my collection but buy on style, look for deals, etc.

I really like this Braun, about $170 at MoMA
shopping.jpg

Personally, I like a date on watches I wear to work. If that's your preference, I would recommend an Invicta Pro Diver; seems they are trying for a Submariner knock off look. They can be had for $70+. A bit of warning, they kind of have a "Gurkha cigars" thing going, about a million different styles/colors, and the "MSRP" is totally BS. With that said, I've been very happy with my $75 purchases from them. This is one of my favorites:

5192Gk+vt8L._SY300_.jpg

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Tim is spot on with the "Gurkha" reference. I'd stay away from Invicta for that reason alone. Anyone you're around that knows their watches will likely point and laugh. That being said, they do a good job of knocking off the popular styles. (You can really get an Invicta clone of about any watch out there)
As someone who also likes to wear the dress watches, sometimes with cufflinks, I can tell you case thickness plays more of a role than case size. Most modern watches have a larger face, but you can get nice automatics down around 11mm thick (and thinner yet if you go quartz) Personally, I'm a fan of automatics with a see through case back, just for the geek factor being able to see the internals moving. You can't get that with a quartz. But with that comes thickness. I got started in watches with new model Bulovas, mostly in the $200-$500 range, and many of them will have high quality movements and similar action to the Rolex (the continuous sweeping second hand is a product of most automatics) as well as sharing in the sapphire crystals which really deter scratching.
To me, these Bulova are the "low end" nice watches. The Bulova Accutron are a step up being "Swiss Made" (that's a whole other topic)
A really classy look without the Rolex price tag are the Raymond Weil. You can get a real nice automatic from them in the $800-$1000 range, and they can get you in that 11mm thickness as well.
Design-wise, I stay away from chronographs and stick with a clean classic face, without all the sub-dials, only additions being day/date windows whenever possible (one more piece if mechanical geekdom moving inside) but this is complete personal preference. Many of the Rolex guys you see will buy the chrono models and not even know how to use them, they just buy it 'cause it looks fancy.
You can also always go higher end Movado or Tag, but they are very trendy and I get the impression you want to be set apart from all the "underlings".

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Hamilton is also a well respected watch company that can find you in that same price range as the Raymond Weil.
I haven't added either of these brands to my stable yet, but will have both someday! My nicest watch right now is a high-end Victorinox. I'll put up some pictures for you later, but do some searches on brands mentioned here. So much of your decision is going to come down to personal taste...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Low end 4 figures...

Tag aqua racer 2000...

NOT the other aqua racers.. Only the 2000.. Formal enough for a $3000 suit... But also casual enough for shorts and a polo shirt.. Not trendy at all.. A very classic, conservative look...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Oris also makes some outstanding looking and functioning options in the $2-3k range

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
This is the company that I've had my eyes on for awhile now.

The 47mm green faced Runwell with date really trips my trigger for some reason. Would love one of these but can't bring myself to spend the dough.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches.html
The black face is almost exactly what I had in mind... but my grandmother's expression that involved "shinola" keeps ringing in my brain.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
He'll probably be too good to even talk to us in a couple months though... :tonguerol

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Basically something I, as a new Vice President, can wear in front of the big boys at Citibank HQ in NY but doesn't cost as much as a Rolex Submariner.
Honestly if you havn't come from the "money" group. 3rd or 4th generation wealth. They may look down on you or discard your awesomeness as a human being anyway. Go watch shopping and buy what fits you and what your family can comfortably afford. Spend the rest on your family in one form or another! I'm not a VP, CFO or CEO. But IMO clothes nor jewelry make the man. Win em over with what you didn't need to buy. (And Sean I know u already know this stuff.)
I have a citizen Eco drive I paid 290 ish 10 years ago. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
(I actually own 2 but the diamond studded bezel is only a dress watch)

Rating - 98%
85   1   0
Congrats on the job!

Less than a sub and not gaudy on steel bracelet:

Tag Link day date - own one love it

Omega seamaster

Breitling Avenger

If you feel like something unique, look at ulysse nardin. Executive dual time and maxi marine.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
This is the company that I've had my eyes on for awhile now.

The 47mm green faced Runwell with date really trips my trigger for some reason. Would love one of these but can't bring myself to spend the dough.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches.html
The black face is almost exactly what I had in mind... but my grandmother's expression that involved "shinola" keeps ringing in my brain.
That's part of what I love about it.

Looks awesome....made in Detroit AND....I can definitely distinguish it from sh*t!