What's new

How do self-rolled compare to retail cigars?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking in this section for quite some time now and I really want to start rolling my own cigars. I just want some feedback before I start.

1. How does the flavor of your own hand rolled cigars compare to big brands (Pedron, my father, arturo fuente)
2. Does growing your own tobacco and going through the harvesting process compare to big names?
3. How much did your start up equipment cost and how much does your average stick cost?

Thank you!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
1. I started home rolling before I explored all the big names. As I was rolling, I became more interested in rolling my own than smoking commercially available cigars. I don't think it's because mine are better, but I like mine and therefore can't bring myself to spend the money on others very often. I cannot reproduce Padron, AF, Tatuaje...and do grab singles occasionally, but that's just like eating. You don't go out to eat daily, but do occasionally...
2. I haven't grown any tobacco.
3. I never really figured out a cost per cigar. Rough guess for me would be 50 c for my small gars to and from work, up to $1 for bigger cigars that I don't often smoke.
Start up equipment for me was just a plank that I cut into sections then glued to make a cutting board. Turned an old circular saw blade into a chaveta, no cost there. My original glue was xanthan gum from a grocery store. So less than $20 to get started. Oh, and I used paper strips as a mold from newspaper I still had delivered, no added cost there either. Some folks talk about using normal copier paper so if you have that available, you can give it a try.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
1. How does the flavor of your own hand rolled cigars compare to big brands (Pedron, my father, arturo fuente)

Not in the least. First, their houses have access to tobaccos which we don't. Second, what those tobaccos are is a trade secret which they will never fully divulge. But here's the most important difference: The blender for a big brand $20 stick appears convinced that he has got to knock your socks off. He needs to devise a blend so overwhelming that you can't taste dinner for two days. That's how they intend to justify the price. You don't have that problem. You don't have to hit a homer. You can blend exactly what you enjoy. The flip side of that is that blending is the hardest skill to master. You can roll an ugly stick and enjoy it. But even if you roll a spotless speckless gem of a cigar and don't like the flavor, what's the point? At least for me, rolling a presentable, if not perfect, cigar came a whole lot quicker than blending a satisfying stick which I burnt to the nub and wanted another.

2. Does growing your own tobacco and going through the harvesting process compare to big names?

Go to fairtradetobacco.com for growing info. Not a lot of that right here.

3. How much did your start up equipment cost and how much does your average stick cost?

You can start up with just what you have around the house, plus a thirty buck kit of leaves. You do not need any equipment which you won't find in your kitchen already. Watch this right here:
The average stick, for me, is prolly around 70 cents or so. But then, I roll coronas and small perfectos. A big fat toro will no doubt cost you a buck. However, you are entirely wrong to consider the cost. Rolling a cigar is itself as satisfying as smoking one. The aroma of your raw leaves, the brag to your friends, the fascination with the process, the contemplative time always associated with handicrafts, the daydreaming about blend experiments, the giving your handiwork away, ... hey, you don't get any of this for any amount of bucks. Nobody ever bought a bread making machine because he couldn't afford a loaf. No. No. What you can't buy is the beautiful odor filling the house.

4. It being Christmas and all, if you PM me your addy I will gladly shoot you out a kit of leaves.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been lurking in this section for quite some time now and I really want to start rolling my own cigars. I just want some feedback before I start.

Thank you!
TLDR: It's gonna cost more than you think, and it's not gonna taste as good as you'd hoped. But it's gonna be more fun and rewarding than you thought it would be.

1. Not nearly as good. I'd trade the 25 lbs of various WLT and LO leaf I have in stock right now for 1 lb of Padron. or 2 of My Father, or 4 of Fuente.
2. N/A
3. My start-up was like $30 for my board, $30 for my chaveta, $15 for a big bag of glue, and $40 for a mold. Plus tax and shipping. I still use all those things except that particular mold; and I finally ran out of that glue after 4000+ sticks.

The price of the stick is hard to calculate. It's like a dude who goes to one particular blackjack table in Vegas and somehow leaves the table $10 up one time, and tells you he's ten up, failing to add his lifetime of losses into the calculation. And it's hard to do the actual math anyway, because you'll buy bags of stuff that lie around for years and other bags you'll use up in a couple months, and stuff from both those bags goes into your cigars. Plus you'll get whole bags of leaf, which may list for $19.95 but really cost you $30+ after shipping, that suck and you won't use them at all after a couple leaves. You'll give it away, throw it away, use it as packing peanuts, store it on that shelf in your garage possibly until you die. Plus you can bias your answer in all kinds of ways: if you're trying to convince somehow it's cheaper to roll at home than to buy a decent cheap bundle, you could honestly dial the number down toward a dollar, if you bind and wrap with your cheapest filler leaf. Or if you want to give someone a dose of reality, where binder really costs $30 after shipping and wrap really costs $70, and filler is $25, and tons gets never used, you can say $3-4 and it ain't no lie.

My two bottom lines are this: most of us who stuck with this really love the hobby, and we now mostly smoke almost entirely our homerolls, even though we could easily afford more store-bought sticks. But there is something holistically more enjoyable about smoking something we created from scratch, even though it does not taste like a good store-bought. When I smoke a good store cigar, I feel like, "Wow, these things are really freakin good compared to what I can roll, in terms of the tobacco. Too bad it's just something I bought from a store, though, rolled by some guy making $7.25 an hour in a factory. This would be so much better in so many ways if I'd rolled it myself."

Leading to the second bottom line: you should get into this more to learn about cigar rolling than to save money or smoke superior tobacco. You won't get the superior tobacco, and you can hit nearly the same price points, or less, on bundle cigars.

Another cool thing about rolling your own is the way you can roll any size you want. If you're that kind of new modern dude who only wants the fat thing in your mouth, then this makes no difference since that's what's commercially on offer. But if you like to mix it up and do a petite corona now and then, or a panatella, or a lonsdale, or a short 47-ring, or a funky-shaped perfecto thing, then you can do that. You can roll it right now instead of waiting for your Cuban Mille Fleurs to arrive from Switzerland.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I disagree with Bliss here, I would absolutely put my enjoyment of my home rolled on par with a lot of the store bought sticks I've had. The only thing I really think that they have over my sticks is construction :D Rolling a good, solid cigar is difficult. However for my personal taste I love what I've been able to produce.
Totally agree with him on the point of smoking what you rolled being something special. Maybe I just haven't tried enough commercial sticks though lol.

Also, go watch his videos if you haven't already, he's got a lot of content out on youtube for rolling cigars and is where I learned most of what I use for rolling my own!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
It’s satisfying being able to smoke a cigar you made yourself but to me you can’t compare a home roll with a good store bought cigar. I don’t smoke many bundle or cheap cigars so can’t really say how those compare but an avg $10 cigar blows the home roll away.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I'm overwhelmed with support here guy! Everyone here who has replied has convinced me to start my own rolling endeavor! I do enjoy learning new skills and good craftsmanship, along with my love for cigars this shall be exciting. I will start small and just get basic leaves and roll from there, no extra equipment necessary. I really want to hone my palette to see what tobacco's I like and dislike. I'm especially excited to be able to learn how to roll my own shapes as well after smoking a phenomenal Oliva serie V melanio figurado. I guess i'm in the minority in the cigar world that enjoys 8-9 inch Figurado style cigar. I guess my plans to grow and roll my own Padron's will have to get set on the back burner while I take my first baby steps into home rolling.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@blisscigarco

Have you ever visited a local shop that rolls cigars you enjoy and asked about buying leaf? I've visited shops in Tampa and Miami that roll some pretty good cigars and if you are ever down there it may be an idea to ask around. Most places use all Dominican leaf but a few have relationships (family) with growers and can get some pretty good tobacco. Might be an excuse for a road trip!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@blisscigarco

Have you ever visited a local shop that rolls cigars you enjoy and asked about buying leaf? I've visited shops in Tampa and Miami that roll some pretty good cigars and if you are ever down there it may be an idea to ask around. Most places use all Dominican leaf but a few have relationships (family) with growers and can get some pretty good tobacco. Might be an excuse for a road trip!
I have asked a few and got nothing. But I keep hoping and trying.