What's new

how do you dress for cold weather?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
tis a mystery to me.

soon, i'll be heading to yellowstone for a snowmobile excursion [hi'ya Randy!! woohoo!!]. suffice to say, jeans might not be enough....

they're giving me all the riding gear, but i'm figuring i should put something on under... and, how about when we're not riding? guessing it'll be a bit chilly... so, how do you keep warm in the cold?

thanks.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Skiing in below freezing temps would be:

Top:
- Heat gear under armor shirt - Any good moisture wicking stuff will work
- fleece base layer
- Possibly a windproof vest
- Softshell outer jacket
- Goretex or equivalent warm gloves.

Bottom:
- Heat gear under pants - Any good moisture wicking stuff will work
- Warm outer pants
- Ski pants

Depending on wind, you'll probably also want some sort of face/neck covering. Fleece works, but gets wet due to breath. You should be able to find something thinner, moisture wicking, and just as warm though.

Make sure your hat is good and warm though too. You'll need it.

It's all about layers man. Layer properly with the correct gear and you'll be just fine.

Last edited:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
With wind chill think we hit -47C today. -5f is pretty cold but not so bad. Snowmobiling can get really cold depending on how hard you are pushing the machine. The faster you go the more wind you deal with. Full face helmets are a food thing and if needed heated gloves, jacket, and boots aren't a bad thing.

Have fun I have been looking forward to the colder weather but we kinda got hit full force.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
There is a company called buff that make head gear for keeping warm. For you body I concur it is all about layers. Keep your head, feet and hands warm & dry at all times.

I fly fish in freezing temps all winter. You can do it, just plan ahead.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i know a german sheppard breeder in denmark. he said, 'no such thing as bad weather. just bad clothes.' therefore, i should be able to 'weather' this. tis the reason i'm asking. ii hear layer... how much? got the thermals... now what?

oh, and, Aaron, -47? are you freaking kidding? like, is everything shut down? wow.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
i know a german sheppard breeder in denmark. he said, 'no such thing as bad weather. just bad clothes.' therefore, i should be able to 'weather' this. tis the reason i'm asking. ii hear layer... how much? got the thermals... now what?

oh, and, Aaron, -47? are you freaking kidding? like, is everything shut down? wow.
What do you have for gear? It's all about what you wear and in what order.

Thermal heat gear needs to be your base layer on the skin and moisture wicking to keep the sweat off of you.

Next layer should be a fleece or something equally warm.

If it's really cold and windy and you can find another windproof layer, I'd go with that at the next level below your jacket.

Jacket can be a normal winter jacker or a softshell jacket. REI makes pretty nice soft shells. I have one similar to this: http://www.rei.com/product/826035/rei-paradiso-jacket-mens

Do you have warm gloves and layers for below the waist as well? Same rules apply. Moisture wicking at the base and then warmer from there.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
currently, i have polyproplyne base layer, followed by , uh , jeans, then the gear they give me. i have the poly glove liners and a decent pair of ski gloves. and a scarf-type doohikie, and a face thingy, and a mask... all poly. poly socks, with wool moto-socks.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Smartwool is what I like. Base layer and thicker if really cold.