What's new

How do you freeze your cigars?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Interesting! That is a lot of cigars over the years! Wonder if you keep your house cooler than some of the people who have experienced it? I have never had a problem either but I haven’t really started keeping a large collection in one spot until a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think with modern manufacturing and manufacturer freezing, the likelihood of beetles is actually very low.

But freezing is free, easy, hurts nothing, and eliminates that tiny likelihood altogether.

And no matter how tiny the likelihood, if you do get beetles, it can be devastating.

So I freeze.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Definitely freeze anything given to you by someone that you don't know and trust or from shops that keep a sloppy humidor. High volume internet vendors that have high turnover and short inventory times should be fine.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I think with modern manufacturing and manufacturer freezing, the likelihood of beetles is actually very low.

But freezing is free, easy, hurts nothing, and eliminates that tiny likelihood altogether.

And no matter how tiny the likelihood, if you do get beetles, it can be devastating.

So I freeze.
100%

I never used to freeze but have started doing it the last couple of years for the above listed reasons.

Stogiewear

Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! That is a lot of cigars over the years! Wonder if you keep your house cooler than some of the people who have experienced it? I have never had a problem either but I haven’t really started keeping a large collection in one spot until a few years ago.

I keep my house usually around 70-72.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
One more question. How long do you have to let it rest after freezing before smoking?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
One more question. How long do you have to let it rest after freezing before smoking?

Just long enough to get back to room temperature.
I move mine from freezer to fridge for one day just to ease the warming process. I don't know if there really is any risk that the wrapper would split but I do it anyway. Then one day back in the humi and I'm happy.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just long enough to get back to room temperature.
I move mine from freezer to fridge for one day just to ease the warming process. I don't know if there really is any risk that the wrapper would split but I do it anyway. Then one day back in the humi and I'm happy.
Great info! Glad to know I don’t have to rest them for long!