What's new

How do you pack your pipe?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently introduced to "The Frank Method" (http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/FrankCentral.html) of packing a pipe. Not only was the method different from anything I had experienced, so was the smoke. I got a good, clean, cool burn with less fiddling around than I had come to be used to & it brought out some more complex flavors in a couple of tobaccos I had all but given up on as potpourri.

So anyway, that set me to thinking. Selecting a pipe is a highly individualized process, and there's damn near a pipe out there for every man. The same can be said for tobacco blends. Is the same, then, true for methods of packing a pipe? It seems to me that it is, because the more attention I pay, the more I notice how everyone seems to have their own little twist on their methods.

So tell me, how do you pack your pipe?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scoop, then I kinda do what Frank does. I learned from a guy that has been smoking a pipe for 45 years. Since I was a kid I would watch him smoke and light it up ONCE. After smoking a pipe for a few years I asked him how in the hell he did it.

He can do it all with one hand while driving. When he gets to the bottom of the burn, he scoops again and thumbs in some more and keeps on smoking. Pretty impressive.

Cigar_Ben

NiceTightAsh.com
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yea, no problem, MadBear. Basically, you fill the bowl up all the way and tamp it down to about 1/3 full, then fill the bowl back up and then tamp it down to where its about 2/3rds full, then finally, fill the bowl up a little past the top then tamp it down even with the bowl. Thats it! :thumbsup:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Frank method looks kinda complicated! I'll have to try it sometime. For now, I'm a confirmed 1/3rds method smoker. Unless I've got a solid flake. The MacBaren's website showed me a neat way to handle flake tobacco. Basically you fold the flake in half, roll/fold it to roughly fit the chamber, stuff it in there and light it. Lemme see if I can find the webpage...

http://www.mac-baren.com/TopMenu/Expert-Knowledge/Flake-Tobacco/How-to-fill-a-pipe.aspx

EvanS

No Lemmings
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would love to see a video of "The Frank Method"

Well why didn't you say so??:waving:

FRANK METHOD VIDEO

Personally I take the concept of the Frank and shorten it up. I don't pre-fill the bowl and I take a larger clump of tobac, somewhat cone shaped with a shaggy foot and "screw" it into the pipe. The amount I grab, with a little practice, turns out about enough to fill the top 3/4 of the bowl, with the shag occupying the bottom 1/4. This way there is always an air pocket at the bottom. Then I press and clean similar to Frank, but less so because I will have already screwed the plug in farther and tighter, leaving much less sticking up out of the bowl

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use the Frank method, and I almost always use a torch as Herr Frank instructs. I tell you it works great, you just gotta get the hang of it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the tobacco type, but I usually use a slightly modified "Frank Method". I'd say it works quite a bit better then the typical 3 layer I once used. For whatever reason it requires less tamping, and so has less chance of getting "over-tamped", IMHO.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I just packed my first bowl using the frank method this morning before work. I won't be able to smoke it until afterwork. i put the whole thingin a ziplock so it would stay fresh all day. I'm new to pipes so I'm not sure if that's oK. I figure a ziplock works for cigars for 10 hours it should be good for the pipe as well. I've been using the thirds method, but seem to have to tamp it several times a bowl.

EvanS

No Lemmings
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just packed my first bowl using the frank method this morning before work. I won't be able to smoke it until afterwork. i put the whole thingin a ziplock so it would stay fresh all day. I'm new to pipes so I'm not sure if that's oK. I figure a ziplock works for cigars for 10 hours it should be good for the pipe as well. I've been using the thirds method, but seem to have to tamp it several times a bowl.
Dave, here lie the beauty of pipes...to a great extent you can do what you want and what works for you. People smoke pipe tobac at all different moisture levels. Personally I like mine pretty dry. Not dired out over time but freshly dried for the bowl. In this respect I personally see no reason to put your pipe in a ziplock, although you certainly can. Matter of fact I prefer to prepack my pipe and let the top 1/8" dry a little more as it makes lighting easier. And it takes quite a long time for the lower tobacco in a packed pipe to lose a lot of moisture.
As for tamping...I use my tamper quite a bit, but very judiciously. I find that a well tended pipe can be a very consistent experience. Sometimes I'll tamp every 5, 10 or 15 puffs or so. It all depends on the type of tobacco, the pipe and the pack. But if you develop a deft hand you can make it so that the bowl burns the same all the way thru.

I'd say you're good to go. :king:

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thats FUNNY!!:hysterica :hysterica
I was using the "Frank" method in the early eighties and we called it the "Fried" method, and it was almost always followed with the "Munchies" Process...
But Yeah, if I fill up a pipe thats the best method for filling ...:lookaroun

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
As long as you use the "right" tobacco in the pipe :tonguerol
YOu will enjoy those pipes.