What's new

How Do You Shred Your Pipe Tabacco?

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Weather it's in sheets, rope, plug form, or long cut, what do you guys do to rip/cut your tobacco into the write size pieces to fill your pipe? I've just been ripping and twisting it into pieces that seem like the normal bits for a bowl but wonder if there's a better/easier way to do it.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm with you, roll it in my fingers until I have something that resembles pipe tobacco... I obviously don't do it correctly though as I have yet to master the pack, light, smoke method.

I go for the pack, light, relight, relight,........(repeat a bunch of times) with occasional smoking mixed in there :D

OK, my post was of absolutely no help other than to reiterate that there is at least one more brother curious about this same thing

Phil

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
decent video on rubbing out flakes.. talks about how to pack larger vs. smaller pieces, etc..

not really a very complex process at all..

what kind of pipe you put flake in makes a difference too in my experience.. for flake you need a relatively narrow, but deep bowl.. it is far more "picky" than other tobaccos about staying lit..

[video=youtube_share;_Ux7ewE4d9o]http://youtu.be/_Ux7ewE4d9o[/video]

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I do it with my hands also but I have gotten pretty good at it. The bonus is my hands smell like awesomeness all day long!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 while getting a blumpkin!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
decent video on rubbing out flakes.. talks about how to pack larger vs. smaller pieces, etc..

what kind of pipe you put flake in makes a difference too in my experience.. for flake you need a relatively narrow, but deep bowl.. it is far more "picky" than other tobaccos about staying lit..

The narrow bowl makes a huge difference with flake. Big wide bowls just dont work well unless you rub it out until its more of a ribbon cut then flake.
Ive done the cube cut a few times and that works ok, but i usually just fold and stuff. Just dry out what your gonna smoke for a bit. Wet tobacco just doesn't burn well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0

The narrow bowl makes a huge difference with flake. Big wide bowls just dont work well unless you rub it out until its more of a ribbon cut then flake.
Ive done the cube cut a few times and that works ok, but i usually just fold and stuff. Just dry out what your gonna smoke for a bit. Wet tobacco just doesn't burn well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for posting Mdwest!
Well so far my experience of trying to keep a pipe lit is just giving me tongue bite and fustration. I watched my grandfather for years smoking his pipe without issue. Hell he would put it in his shirt pocket and come back to it and it was still lit! LOL Seems like it anyways. I've been taking my time and sipping not puffing and packing my pipe a little different each time. I figured maybe it was how I was shredding my tobacco then. I've also set it out to dry for awhile. I'm just wondering if there's a better way to shred it so it packs better.