What's new

How is DE being viewed today?

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
My local(ish) seems to go through quite a few Ligas, nothing in the way of regular lines though, like UC, MUWAT, Acid, etc...
Personally, I like several of the DE lines for "regular" smokes, like Nica Rustica, FSG, MUWAT baitfish, and UC shade..
If I'm going for something more premium, there's plenty of better for the money options than Liga.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My B&M is always stocked with the full Liga line plus a lot of their special releases. I'll grab one every now & then. They're pricey, but they burn forever, so I feel like that adds value.

What I'm never short of in my personal stock is the HE. I still smoke those quite often. One of my favorites.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I remember when it was only the #9 and we were having the discussion about the T52s blowing us away, and DE stuff just blew up, taking many by surprise...
I still keep those 2 sticks in the humi at all times, though now it seems like only a couple of each. Slowed down a lot the last few years having a couple of babies and what not, lol... interesting first thread to stumble across when i pop in after a bit of time away... some things never change :)

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
They are a lot less populer by me now. I used to be a huge DE fanboy but have grown since. Some of the cigars are still pretty good but they compete with a lot better companies now as well. I believe the Liga for the most part has gone down hill but some are still good. I won't reach for Drew Estate when I can grab a Tatuaje or Warped along with many other great smokes.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My local carries most of the Unico series(Dirty Rats, L40's, FFP, UF13) as well as a few vitolas from the T52 and 9 line. They have gone up dramatically, though. I remember when the Dirty Rat was $12(which is a lot for a corona) and now they're $15.10. They're expensive but I like to smoke them when I can because I haven't found a cigar that tastes similar.
You uses to be able to snag boxes of t52 and 9s for 60 on the devil sight. I think o paid 90 for my boxes at the shops. The old t52 and personal blends that have the stained bands are still really good. I've tried some here and there and they all have had notably flaking and construction issues. Especially the dirty rats.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You uses to be able to snag boxes of t52 and 9s for 60 on the devil sight. I think o paid 90 for my boxes at the shops. The old t52 and personal blends that have the stained bands are still really good. I've tried some here and there and they all have had notably flaking and construction issues. Especially the dirty rats.

60 for a box of ligas?!?!?! Still overpriced

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Dang, that's crazy! Back in the good ole days I guess!

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I think the same thing happened to Drew Estate as happened to CAO when General bought them out. If you compare comparable cigars from awhile before DE was bought out and after there is a noticeable difference. When the LE sticks go from being rare to all over the place something had to change. That being said, the company is still growing like crazy due to their nontraditional lines. JD is a great guy, I've been to his factory in Nica and took money from him in poker. He is eclectic but that is what made his company boom so fast.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I started this hobby loving maduros. Anything dark, chocolately, with sweetness and cedar. To this day, nothing quite hit that mark like a Liga Privada No 9 did back then. I loved the Dirty Rat, the milk chocolate and red pepper flake spice. I still think that LP has some of the best branding of all time.

It is my personal opinion that quality did decrease at some point, either directly pre-Swisher, or after. I don't think Swisher ownership directly requested a decrease in quality, but my theory is that production was ramped up to either make the company more attractive, or else directed by Swisher after, which meant that lower-quality tobacco was being used.

I don't think Drew Estate has fallen off, I think it's the opposite. Drew Estate is a major player, and one that is prevalent in a lot of retailers' humidors. They're mainstream. It feels like they have decreased in stature to some of the forum folks because they're not boutique anymore. LEs are widely available and produced in much higher quantities, so they're not $100/stick on the secondary market. The collectors and resellers aren't going bananas, which in turn makes them seem less "hot." And Saka and JD are not all over social media like they once were. I remember when both were here regularly, chatting it up and answering questions. Good times, those.
I cannot agree more with everything Derek has said here. I also kind of miss the days when Liga was big because the quality was better and I thought they were great cigars.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
From the very first day I thought Liga was over priced and hyped. JMHO. I only bought things like OR Dirty Rats and OR FFP's because I knew the "fans" would trade for them. And they did.
By the way, I still have some OR's if anybody's interested........

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was having this conversation the other night. I was a big T52 fan. They are clearly not as good now as they were in their heyday. The construction is there but the flavor is not. Still produce a ton of smoke like few others though.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I still see people smoking them but I don't see them as sought after as they had been. The Undercrown and Herra Estelli are the best bang for the buck to me.