What's new

How Low Would You Go?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need some advice guys. I have a Newair CC-300 and have 3 calibrated hygrometers in it. I use Heartfelt 65% humidity tubes and I usually get readings of 64-65 on the top and middle hygrometer and 64% on the bottom (circled in yellow). Yesterday the bottom hygrometer read 62% and is still there. The other 2 are still 64-65. The only things that have changed are I have added several sticks over the past week or so and my wife has been ill so she has the house a bit warmer than usual. Can those changes be creating that change in the RH? The tray on the bottom (circled in yellow) is where I keep my CC’s and anything not in cello. That’s where I’m getting the 62 reading. Do you think 62 is to low? Sorry for the length. 3D191937-5012-4B4E-BC3E-15B92BBAF0BD.jpeg

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not getting into psychometrics or anything but yeah if the house warms up a bit the RH can drop. And as far as the 62 goes I’m sure that’s just fine especially for the CC

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not getting into psychometrics or anything but yeah if the house warms up a bit the RH can drop. And as far as the 62 goes I’m sure that’s just fine especially for the CC
I kind of thought that was the case and just wanted confirmation. I keep a weekly log of the hygrometer readings along with the temp inside and outside so I can track the correlation between the ambient temp and the RH. Thanks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine. Truth is there are often two scales quoted and one of them goes from 60-70%.

Different cigars actually respond differently I find (as do others) to humidity and some like a relatively dryer humidity. For me lately I've actually been lowering my overall humidity and I think 70 is too high for many cigars and produces smoking issues for me.

If you are really worried you might consider picking and choosing which cigars go in that tray but frankly a degree or two isn't giong to make that much difference. I keep my Cubans and some Fuentes on my slightly dryer shelves as some of them tend to be "wet" and most hold that cubans like a lower RH.

Ultimately for me it's about the feel and though I dial in my humdidors as best I can it's the touch test that tells me the most along with of course the smoking test.

The only thing I would wonder is if moisture will accumulate at the bottom there? It will if there is a drain hole that is plugged I think and certainly with a Whynter (where most recommend plugging the drain hole) it does. That would be a bummer to find that rack sitting in a puddle.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wire up a computer fan broskie no prob

set it so its off the ground inside and line it up on the far left or right so it creates a circular air flow
Don't those have an internal fan? That should be working pretty well with the light load in there now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you are fine. Truth is there are often two scales quoted and one of them goes from 60-70%.

Different cigars actually respond differently I find (as do others) to humidity and some like a relatively dryer humidity. For me lately I've actually been lowering my overall humidity and I think 70 is too high for many cigars and produces smoking issues for me.

If you are really worried you might consider picking and choosing which cigars go in that tray but frankly a degree or two isn't giong to make that much difference. I keep my Cubans and some Fuentes on my slightly dryer shelves as some of them tend to be "wet" and most hold that cubans like a lower RH.

Ultimately for me it's about the feel and though I dial in my humdidors as best I can it's the touch test that tells me the most along with of course the smoking test.

The only thing I would wonder is if moisture will accumulate at the bottom there? It will if there is a drain hole that is plugged I think and certainly with a Whynter (where most recommend plugging the drain hole) it does. That would be a bummer to find that rack sitting in a puddle.
I do have the drain hole plugged and I check for condensation each week when I record the hygrometer readings and have not had any.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the drain hole plugged and I check for condensation each week when I record the hygrometer readings and have not had any.
I would really reconsider or at the very least raise that tray. When I used my similar Whynters there was a decent amount of moisture on the bottom.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pick up another inexpensive hygrometer and leave it outside of your NewAir, see if there is a correlation between room Rh and Rh in the unit. As others mentioned 62 is fine and you do need an additional fan inside the unit.