What's new

How Many Different Vitolas Are in Your Collection?

How Many Vitolas Are in Your Collection?

• 0-25

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • 26-50

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 51-75

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 76-100

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 101-125

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • 126-150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 151-175

• 176-200

• 201-225

• 226-250

• 251+

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Am I the only cigar dork that keeps an Excel spreadsheet of every cigar in my collection? I just counted and I have 111 different vitolas (different types of cigars)! I'm sure there are some members with way more than that though. It will be interesting to see how this bell curve ends up looking.

EDIT: To clarify, by "vitola" for purposes of this poll, I mean different types of cigars. For example, a Bolivar Inmensa and a Bolivar Lonsdale are both different vitolas even though they are both lonsdales and from the same brand. Similarly, a Partagas SD4 and a Partagas SD4 Reserva are different even though they are both Robustos. On the other hand, a RASS from a 2010 box and a RASS from a 2008 box are the same.

UBC

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Haha this seems a little intense but not a bad idea for keeping track of everything. I might give this a shot because I have no idea.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started keeping the spreadsheet when I had maybe a few hundred cigars and then just added to it over time. Now I have 1300+. I'm sure I'm off by a few cigars here and there. But I know that it's close.

I also found that it helps me keep track of what I have on order. Then I also have a column for cigars that I want to order.

Yes, I am extremely anal!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Misread the title and thought how many TOTAL vitolas in my collection. If we're talking different, probably 76-100 No excel spreadsheet....don't have time to track each one. Besides, I found when I try to keep track of them like that and take notes, I don't enjoy the cigar experience as much.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
^ I also have a column for notes. But it's only about the width of half a computer screen so I don't type more than a couple sentences. That way, it does not get in the way of enjoying the smoke.

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Not to be an ass, but the term vitola refers to the size and shape of the cigar, so having said that, I highly doubt anyone on here has more than 25 or so. Since a vitola can vary slightly in ring gage and lenght, if you are measuring every stick, and splitting up the box press from the non-box press, I guess you could get to 30 or 40 maybe.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not to be an ass, but the term vitola refers to the size and shape of the cigar
OK, fine Mr. Technocrat. I could have asked how many different "types" of cigars. But some people would have confused that with "brands" or "marcas". It seems like people get the general meaning of the poll so far.

In this particular case, for example, a Bolivar Inmensa and a Bolivar Lonsdale are both different vitolas even though they are both lonsdales. Similarly, a Partagas SD4 and a Partagas SD4 Reserva are different even though they are both Robustos.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Not to be an ass, but the term vitola refers to the size and shape of the cigar, so having said that, I highly doubt anyone on here has more than 25 or so. Since a vitola can vary slightly in ring gage and lenght, if you are measuring every stick, and splitting up the box press from the non-box press, I guess you could get to 30 or 40 maybe.
That's what I thought. But, given the criteria of this poll I voted 51-75. I have less than 100 cigars total, but they're almost all different. Very few multiples.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Most of the cigars that I own (save for a few boxes) either started out as fivers or were singles to begin so there is quite the variation. If I had to guess I would estimate that there are likely near to 50 or more different vitolas in my humidor.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
LOL I could be a technowhatever but when you're looking at the poll in the bottom left corner and you see 100-whatever the only thing I could think was "that's impossible" as there are only so many different sizes/vitolas unless you are CAO, LMFAO!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
In this particular case, for example, a Bolivar Inmensa and a Bolivar Lonsdale are both different vitolas even though they are both lonsdales.
Cigar Advisor said:
Vitola

A factory term for a cigar shape. Robusto and corona are two examples of vitolas.
Dictionary.com said:
Vitola refers to the unique description of a cigar. Two cigars of the same vitola have similar measurements and form. For instance, a "Julieta" vitola refers to a cigar of measurements 7 * 47 (or, a length of 7 inches and a diameter of roughly 47/64ths an inch). Therefore, the Cohiba Esplendido, the Hoyo de Monterrey Churchill, the Bolivar Churchill, and the La Gloria Cubana Tainos are all Julieta vitolas.
At the risk of being a "Technocrat" as well, I do believe openendstraight is correct. i.e., the Bolivar Immensa and Lonsdale are the same vitola if they are both in fact lonsdales.