What's new

How much age is TOO much?

Mr.OneNineDoubleDeuce

The Machine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawk:

As far as storage goes, I have a 100ct. , a 50 ct, and a 30 ct desktop. I usually trade or buy aged smokes from vendors. I don't have the means yet to get into the box storage just yet.

Again, I am only speaking from experience and mention the vitola's and years because that is what I have had.

Bruce5

--
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
hawkan2580 said:
Sorry but I disagree.. I smoked a punch Dc -78 the other day and it had far from peaked... but if compared with a current released it tasted markedly different.. maybe you just don't like what ageing do to cigars?? Not saying that as a bad thing but you are quoteing ages that are just reaching to be regarded as mature.. not even vintage yet... so that is what leads me to ask that question.. and it is no judgment on a person if he likes vintage or not.. one of my best smoking buddies here have been smoking cubans for about 30 years and e doesn't like em much unless they are fresh....

Also remember, some cigars do go through a bit of a vacuum period where the flavours take somewhat a rest.. happens quite frequently between 10-15 years of age.. -98 sounds too young for that to have started to happen yet with the punch though.. maybe I should light one up to test... was your one stored in it's box since new or was it stitting as a single in a singles drawer?

Cheers
Agreed.
Very knowledgeable and experienced smoker we got here.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It seems to me that so much of this has to do with personal taste. Whether you prefer the strong, tannic tastes or the subtle, floral tastes (or any taste in-between) influences what any individual will find attractive about a cigar. I tend towards the lighter bodies cigars so I find much agreeable about well aged cigars. You mileage may vary.

I agree with the Dawg…I have some ’85 ERDM Panatela Larga that are some of the best in my humidor. I wish I had the bucks to buy a whole box.

If anyone wants to part with their “expired” mid-80s Davidoffs, I’d be more than happy to take care of them for you.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tend to believe there is a point in time were a cigar's flavor and complexity reaches a peak, and then begins to decline. However, I suspect this will vary from cigar to cigar. I don't think you can put a specific period that could be used generically across all cigars. That said, I doubt I will ever reach such a point since virtually every cigar that comes into my posession is bound to get smoked within 2-3 years tops.

Cigars are fer smoking!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the flavors and characteristics produced from proper aging >5 years, can't be replicated in a young cigar, regardless of tobacco quality. I don't have any stock less than 5 years old that I feel have reached their peak, therefore I try not to smoke them except to gauge progress.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nub said:
IMO the flavors and characteristics produced from proper aging >5 years, can't be replicated in a young cigar, regardless of tobacco quality. I don't have any stock less than 5 years old that I feel have reached their peak, therefore I try not to smoke them except to gauge progress.
this coming from a guy who takes the smokes out of the box and piles his cigars in little pyramids in his ikeador...crap no smilies...just funnin' with a brother.

derrek

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pyramids?!? they were neat, organized rows, I'll have you know. Besides, those were NC and I needed the space, so out went the boxes.

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a really interesting topic and some of these post have gone into some great depth.

My question on this topic is how do you know how old a cigar is or a box it when you buy it? Is there a way to find out; asking or a date on the box, etc?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Pre-85 cuban boxes are harder to decipher the age on them because I don't believe they had box-codes before '85. But, I believe it can be done by minor details in the box.

*Paging Craig*

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
thebigo said:
This is a really interesting topic and some of these post have gone into some great depth.

My question on this topic is how do you know how old a cigar is or a box it when you buy it? Is there a way to find out; asking or a date on the box, etc?
Nice bump! :thumbsup:

This was a good read!

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
thebigo said:
So it's pretty much only cubans that you can tell the date?
Cuban cigars have their dates on the bottom of the boxes. No N/C I know of does this. Aging isn't talked about in reference to N/C's because they're already aged to a degree.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
cvm4 said:
Pre-85 cuban boxes are harder to decipher the age on them because I don't believe they had box-codes before '85. But, I believe it can be done by minor details in the box.

*Paging Craig*
The two "easiest" ways to date pre-1985 Cuban boxes is the style of warranty code and more basicly is whether or not the stamp on the bottom says "Hecho en Cuba" or "Made in Havana", as id did pre-revolution.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sweet info guys. Didn't know any of those N/C manufacturers dated their product. I think it's a great idea. I've never purchased any boxes of those, so I didn't know that.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My personal tastes have changed over the last couple of years. I have developed a taste for aged havanas. Aged Havanas are just different and don't fit some peoples profile. I know many a brother with more experience than myself who prefer them with little age, 3to 5 years. Contrary to some peoples belief that Habanas will loose thier strength and become super mild is a falsehood. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but alot of Habanos will gain in strength as time passes. Ageing of fine habanos is measured in decades. Which ones will improve and which ones will not is a mystery. MRN says "cigars over 50 years old can develope a great boquet up to 4 times stronger. In short, when Havanas age they just become different. Which is better depends on personal preferences, And when it comes to personal preferences, they may change at any time"

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I don't think God would give me the strength to age a habano for 50 years so I guess I'll just have to find one somewhere. :sadcry:

Didn't they find a bunch of 40 year old Davidoff's in someones estate sale last year in London?