What's new

How much is smoking worth to you?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
what if you ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease? Cigarette, etc. smoking actually improves someone's symptoms - esp. with UC. I have a friend with UC who was told by his doctor to either start smoking or wear a nicotine patch. In my case I have Crohn's and an occasional cigar actually helps my symptoms.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The law (obamacare) now says you cannot ever be refused health insurance, ever..

In fact, carrying full time health insurance essentially is for families with kids who need the security of peace of mind.

I dropped my coverage way back when and by doing so, upped the gym to 2/week and am way more health conscious with diet, h2o & supps.

Dont be a sucker.. Invest your money elsewhere and buy more cigars.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Yeah that sucks but it's just the way things are. Insurance in this country is a huge racket cause one little lie and BAM claim denied. As for Obamacare doesn't offer free health care just "affordable" health care.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
This Administration is also getting ready to roll out a calorie tax proposal. You guessed it the higher calories a food product has, the higher the tax on it.......... So its not only tobacco getting hit, just bend over and hold them cheeks open wide......... wait........you may want to bite down on this. ;)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You have to be shitting me. That is really being done there with taxes more calories more taxes. Shit sorry guys but I will not be shipping out cigars any more but more likely lube.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Under the "affordable" care act, healthcare will be unaffordable to most people even if they don't smoke. In the article linked by ciggy the hypothetical 60 year old smoker will not carry a $3500 policy when they make less than $40000. What are they going to pay rent with and buy food with, and gas that will be $5/gal? Unless covered by an employer I wont carry any.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The problem with not carrying any is that the federal government penalizes you by taxing you, at an increasing rate each year until the tax penalty equates to the cost of the insurance premium..

Either way you are paying...

In one situation you pay a fortune.. And get something in return (insurance)..

In the other you pay a fortune.. And get nothing in return...

In both scenarios, you the taxpayer are screwed... And the fed govt further lines its pockets...

This is why the Supreme Court ruled that the act was legal.. It's actually a tax..

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I get that. The problem for them is that young people opting out can bankrupt the system. If the population that is healthy doesn't carry insurance means less money to pay out in tax credits for those wanting insurance. I know they built the penalty system in such a way to guard against it, but like everything they do, it is designed on some unrealistic assumptions.

Remember the unexpected success of cash for clunkers? I cant wait to see the fall out from this monstrosity of an red headed step child piece of legislation.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I'm not going to lie about it. For $10/month it wouldn't bother me, but $50/month/person seems excessive and punitive and manipulative.

I do have some other options. I can enroll in a quit-smoking program. I'm not sure how long I can ride that ship without showing any inclination to quit. Or I can get a Dr.'s excuse. I was thinking, since I can get a Dr. to prescribe pot for me, maybe I can get one of them to prescribe tobacco instead.

Or I could quit. How much of a smoking penalty would it take for you to consider quitting? $50/month ain't enough to stop me, but don't tell them.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I do have some other options. I can enroll in a quit-smoking program.
Neither company I worked for with that program required me to quit, only to take the course. So I did, calling in the requisite number of times to the "smoking cessation counselors", which was greatly amusing to me, and only occasionally to the "counselor" on the other end of the line.

Counselor: "On a scale of 1-5, how would you rate your desire to quit?"
Me: "Zero."

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'll be ready for the flaming, as I have to say I don't see anything wrong with this. It's just actuarial. People who get a lot of speeding tickets will pay higher car insurance premiums because they have demonstrated a propensity to engage in risky behavior behind the wheel. Smokers engage in a risky behavior from the perspective of health insurers. Maybe insurers will get around to dinking people who are overweight-- they don't now (as far as I know), but I wouldn't blame them. It's actually already happening in an inverse kind of way, insofar as I get money back on my health insurance premiums for going to my gym at a certain frequency, and I get even more back for doing annual HRAs and getting a flu shot. I think my first colonoscopy a few months back got me a check for $25 (SO worth it!). It's not unreasonable to be a little ticked about it insofar as we all know that occasional cigar smoking is several orders of magnitude less risky than smoking four packs of cigarettes per day, yet the insurance company treats it all the same. But by the same token, I get the same rebate whether I go to the gym 3 days a week, 5 days a week, or every day of the week. Still-- the basic principle remains: embrace risky behavior, pay more for insurance; eschew risk, pay less. Like everything else, it's a cost-benefit calculus. And I am with those who are willing to pay more so as to still be able to enjoy a nice pastime.
+1 Every word....except I don't get paid for going to the gym and I didn't get a check after my colonoscopy :)

Otherwise, I agree completely. Nobody here would argue that smoking cigars doesn't increase your risk of health issues. I'm willing to pay to indulge.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The brunt of obamacare will be absorbed by people who are covered by a company health plan. Whether you work for the gov. or private industry. Get ready for significant premium increases - tobacco or not. l am starting to put extra away to cover health expenses in retirement, which is about 7 years from now.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So next year my company health insurance is charging me an extra $50/month if we use tobacco. I'm trying not to sound like a whiner, but this pisses me off. Anybody else experiencing this? When will they start charging us for how much sugar we eat or how many hours we watch TV? How does this jive with ObamaCare? I thought everyone was getting free health care, but I just keep paying more for mine. Perhaps I should just count my blessings.
I think they're putting stogies in the same category as cigarettes, and IMO that's wrong !

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be hesitant on lying on your insurance just because I wouldn't want to risk giving them a reason to not cover a future claim for some health issue.
This. For this reason, when I got my life insurance policy, I specifically disclosed my cigar smoking. I don't want to give them any reason to deny my wife the money she's entitled too, even if I have to pay more.
I totally agree with this, my dad has the same things with his career so he isn't allowed to use tobacco products (which isn't a big deal to him). One of his friends had the same deal and he died and had tobacco in his system and they denied the wife the money. So don't lie about it! But to the heart of the issue " smoke and pay, or don't and don't pay". Its all about what it means to you, but first evaluate your situation.

- am I financially stable, and can afford this extra $50 a month
- do I enjoy smoking enough to pay the extra money
- do I already have a lot of smoking capitol ( humidor, cigars, cutters, lighters) stuff like that
- do I enjoy this hobby enough to pay

In my eyes if all of these things add up to the affirmative then go for it, but don't ever jeopardize your family's security for lying. my dad constantly tells me how good my cigar smell, and I ask if he wants one but he never does because the insurance that he chose, he decided to opt out of the "tobacco users category". But I don't think the companies are bullying, its the same as a private school requiring uniforms. You choose to be a part of their company and they choose to have you. So what they say goes, yea it sucks but hey that's life haha.

Good luck to you!

- Blockhead

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to echo everyone's comments about the "lying" - don't do it on either your health or life insurance, trust me those bastards will try to find anyway they can to weasel out of paying a large claim if they can. I personally know of someone who was a smoker, but claimed to not be, and when it came time to pay his life policy to his widow they voided it and refunded the he paid premiums in full, some 9 plus years worth... just devastating to his family.

We all make choices in life and being a cigar smoker is one of them. With that regretfully comes some extra costs, you will just have to decide whether they are worth it to you.

Fwiw, when it comes to life insurance, Prudential does not consider cigar or pipe smoking the same as cigarette smoking and charges a lower rate in line with the actual actuarial tables.

Best of Luck,

Steve

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Yep, not gonna lie about it. But if I can get away free by enrolling in the quit for life program - that's what I'm gonna do. And if/when that dries up, I'll ante the $50/month, but I'm not happy to do it. One minor plus - they don't consider the occasional celebratory cigar as tobacco use.