What's new

How much room for circulation?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey fellas,

So as my wineador is accumulating more and more singles and boxes, I'm beginning to wonder how much room I need for circulation.
Do you guys set a certain quantity limit, or use a certain "tetris" pattern?

I'd hate to keep stacking boxes and end up regretting it later.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I try to keep the back inch or two of my wineador clear so that the oust fan can circulate. The bottom has a couple inches of clearance for beads and airflow. The front obviously has a bit and the top has just enough room for air to get through. So that leaves enough circulation around the perimeter. As far as the interior is concerned, my bottom half contains sealed drawers, so no airflow there. The top half is boxes and I only leave enough room between them to get my fat, grubby fingers in there to pull out a box.

My philosophy is....stack them deep and become a tetris pro! You don't need to worry about air actually blowing through. I just leave enough room for the air to move. You don't need a wind tunnel, just somewhere for it to go and not be stagnant. Even that much isn't really a requirement, I just like to have enough circulation to keep the humidity constant throughout.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've had 28 boxes in a 28 before with some dress boxes even standing straight up behind stacks of all the other boxes. Beads below the only shelf on the base and the thing still read 65 on the bottom and 66 all the way at the top. Guys overthink things......... Open it up once a week. Boxes that are open check a couple of times a year........

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I do the Tetris thing pretty well in my cabinet and have no issues. It's amazing how many boxes you can fit into them if you get creative!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've never left all that much room. Generally, I try to keep the cap and foot just a little clear, as the round shape of the cigar allows air to travel between them. I don't worry about it at all thought.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I've never left all that much room. Generally, I try to keep the cap and foot just a little clear, as the round shape of the cigar allows air to travel between them. I don't worry about it at all thought.
Not referring to individual sticks, but to boxes.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Sorry to bump an old thread Alex. Do you have differences in humidity top to bottom? Did you put an Oust Fan in? Curious because in the house where the temp is stable, my wineador is consistent. In the garage where temp fluctuates and cold air is let in all the time, the humidity stratifies. Probably because of the cold air (sits between 59&63 during the winter). Wanting to just take both wineadors from the garage into the house. But it is so damn handy. Might just grab a couple oust fans and leave em there. Thoughts?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
There are always differences in humidity (think top is most) but I remember. If you look at some humidors, people put 3 or 4 hygrometers in them.

I've got a couple of oust fans in one of them and it works ok. (sorry, I'm not Alex but I thought I would answer.)

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Thanks Ara. I had a feeling you would.
Actually my humidity is less up top. Does that make sense if the cold air is at the bottom? I'm not Bill Nye here...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Thanks Ara. I had a feeling you would.
Actually my humidity is less up top. Does that make sense if the cold air is at the bottom? I'm not Bill Nye here...
no clue. but I might have a couple of oust fans I can send if you like. If I can find them, they're just sitting there.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I rotate all my sticks 90 degress every quarter . I find it helps produce an even greater smoking experience ... oils distribution, internal gas displacement etc .
pita but its worth it

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I just read they are discontinued. I'd like to try one as an experiment before I go all fan plus timer install.
Thx for the offer Ara. I'd take one if you could find it. I'll even pay rent for it.
Doug, I've got two ATL sent me early on in my BOTL life. Found they didn't really work for me, though. They're kind of bulky and won't really fit in to your "all drawers" setup (I did that, too, at your reco)
Been meaning to offer them up for grabs anyway...
I forget, you going to be there this weekend? I could bring 'em with.

I'll dig up links on the fan/timer setup I've got going. Should be a good fit for you.