What's new

How much variance is acceptable?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have avoided asking humidity questions by searching reading my butt off but I can't seem to find an answer to this question. My bottom shelf reads 68%, middle is 66% and top is 65% (all calibrated), the cigar oasis reads 73%. I will be recalibrating it here shortly. So how much variance is ok between the top and bottom? I don't have any CCs nor anyway to get any so that's not an issue. Humidor is still empty at this point and moving my 20 sticks into it isn't going to help much if at all. Am I at a point I need to add a fan?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Temp extremes and RH extremes are what you want to stay away from. Stable environments are key....fluctuations are normal.....for Temps 60 - 70 are fine....RH from 62-68 are fine as well but don't get locked into that see-saw of a big jump from the low to the high. If that is going on then your media or humidor or wineador are not functioning properly. Seasoning takes time and patience and that is your first battle....get that right and you won't be doing hand to hand combat with your wood humidor. Tupperware is almost a "set it/forget it" thing...windeadors can be a PIA if you don't get a quality one because you need to look for leaks...seal things up...use quality media and get one that is appropriate as far as size goes. I see those who get them to fit 600 cigars...c'mon....then you try to retro-fit bags of media on levels and put in fans and gadgets and computer programs to turn them on and off...it turns into science projects when all you need is no more than a 300 count wineador but I understand the mentality of .....if 300 is good 600 must be better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp extremes and RH extremes are what you want to stay away from. Stable environments are key....fluctuations are normal.....for Temps 60 - 70 are fine....RH from 62-68 are fine as well but don't get locked into that see-saw of a big jump from the low to the high. If that is going on then your media or humidor or wineador are not functioning properly. Seasoning takes time and patience and that is your first battle....get that right and you won't be doing hand to hand combat with your wood humidor. Tupperware is almost a "set it/forget it" thing...windeadors can be a PIA if you don't get a quality one because you need to look for leaks...seal things up...use quality media and get one that is appropriate as far as size goes. I see those who get them to fit 600 cigars...c'mon....then you try to retro-fit bags of media on levels and put in fans and gadgets and computer programs to turn them on and off...it turns into science projects when all you need is no more than a 300 count wineador but I understand the mentality of .....if 300 is good 600 must be better.
I'd still be rocking the desktop if this hadn't fallen into my lap. A coworker upgraded to a tower and sold me this humidor with the cigar oasis excel for a song. It's been in use for 2 years so it's well seasoned.

I added a cheapo battery fan from target for proof of concept and within 30 minutes all three shelves were either 69% or 68%. So I started digging through my junk to find a more permanent solution as the battery fan is way too big. I stumbled across an old xbox360 intercooler I had and voila, 3 tiny computer fans already meant to run off an outlet. I'm currently fidgiting with plugs and such and trying to figure out mounts. When I'm done, I'll post up some pics.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd still be rocking the desktop if this hadn't fallen into my lap. A coworker upgraded to a tower and sold me this humidor with the cigar oasis excel for a song. It's been in use for 2 years so it's well seasoned.

I added a cheapo battery fan from target for proof of concept and within 30 minutes all three shelves were either 69% or 68%. So I started digging through my junk to find a more permanent solution as the battery fan is way too big. I stumbled across an old xbox360 intercooler I had and voila, 3 tiny computer fans already meant to run off an outlet. I'm currently fidgiting with plugs and such and trying to figure out mounts. When I'm done, I'll post up some pics.
S

Sometimes you fall into a deal and it's worth it....price, equipment, etc. I tend to stay with the KISS principle but we don't all circle the globe the same.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S

Sometimes you fall into a deal and it's worth it....price, equipment, etc. I tend to stay with the KISS principle but we don't all circle the globe the same.
I'm an engineer. They mentioned KISS in school but it was quickly followed by how to confuse the situation, make impossible designs and overly complicate the issue 101.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm an engineer. They mentioned KISS in school but it was quickly followed by how to confuse the situation, make impossible designs and overly complicate the issue 101.
Yeah buddy.....I think during my career I scratched through my skull and hit brain matter several times trying to understand why a simple 2 step process turned into a 10 step program.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the fans wired up and going today. I started out with three 2" pc fans from an Xbox 360 intercooler. I then made 3 brackets out of 14 gauge sheet metal. Using double sided tape I mounted the fans to the underside of the drawer rests. I wired it all up using leftover cat5 cable, soldering and heat shrinking all connections. When it was done and tested I then bit the bullet and drilled a hole in the back and ran the power cord for the cigar oasis and the fans out of it. I sealed that with aquarium sealant. I have the fans plugged in to a cheap as shit harbor freight lamp timer that runs them for 15 minutes every hour, I have no idea if that's sufficient. Anyway, all said I have less than $20 in to this so I'm pretty pleased. Ignore the oasis cord laying there. I am waiting to move it when the caulk cures.

Attachments

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fans are probably the biggest part in consistency. Of course, if your humidifier dumps a huge amount of humidity in there you will have problems. But even it it does, the fans will take care of it by evening all levels out.
I would suggest running your fans 24-7, the fans will only “dry” your sticks out if your humidity level drops to low (below 50rh, or so).
Hope this helps.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose not to run them to increase the life of the fans, no other reason. I did end up putting all 3 fans around the base level instead of one fan per level, it's been spot on since making the change.

I do have a boveda smart sensor on order and will have it to warn me remotely if the oasis goes haywire.