What's new

How much water will 100ml of beads or kl hold?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my previous thread I rediscovered how to use pg solution properly to regulate rh @ 70%. Then doing some math I calculated that if 100ml of 68% pg solution is used and the window of acceptable rh is 60%-70%, then the humidification capacity is 8ml, or 8%. At 8ml of evaporation the solution must be recharged with di water or else the rh equilibrium will fall below 60%.

So, the humidification capacity of pg solution is 8%. The rest is can be considered apparatus required to make it work. That doesn't seem like much but now I'm curious. How that compares to the other medias.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sounds like I would rather use bovida packs ..... I use about a 1lb of KL in a 150qt cooler with about a 1/4 cup of water and it maintains 68% perfectly.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Fresh Step crystals for my cats. I'm not sure if that will work for humidors but I just tested it and it will hold it's own weight in water before approaching saturation.

Does kl seek a 65% rh regardless of how much water you put in it? Or can you raise and lower the rh by adding more or less water?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I hate to be that guy, but there are already many threads about cat litter, how to use it, how much to use for your humidor, how to adjust rH, how much water to add, which brand to use, etc... You can probably find the answers you are looking for by using the advanced search.

It also sounds like you are over complicating humidifying your cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, yea. Ok when you're right you're right. I need to search some more.

I'm not trying to over-complicate. I'm trying to understand the how and why with greater then average depth. ;)

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I use about 2 cups worth in my cooler, and have only had to spritz it a couple of times with DW. I haven't touched it in months now and it has maintained 65% perfect.

Now "volume" is going to be slightly different per which brand KL crystals you use as there is no uniform shape/size. Also to determine how much KL is needed, I used heartfelts calculator for their beads and matched that. Click here.

Now how much water will it hold, I don't know, but how much you need to add heartfelt as a page about that here

If you are going to test KL make sure to buy the right kind, non scented crystals such as meme litter.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I prefer to use Hearfelts humidification beads. I use 2 Lbs in my winador and a half pound in my desktop. I also keep several Boveda packs on hand for my travel humi as well as backup. I buy 65% boveda packs. That is all the humidification I need. I don't have to guess at anything either, when all my beads are white I take the mesh bag out and dump distilled water on them until they are clear and dry off the bag and back in they go. simple and reliable/

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KL is based on the water placed in it. I am unsure what it's natural RH is but it holds wherever you push it too.
Ok, thanks. That's what I wanted to know. Functionally, it sounds not too dissimilar from the pg solution that way.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now how much water will it hold, I don't know, but how much you need to add heartfelt as a page about that here
Thanks for that link. That told me what I really wanted to know.

Heartfelt says 25ml of di water per pound of beads to make it work. Reckless says 60ml per pound of kl to make it work.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Get beads or the correct KL just spritz them a little bit and they regulate the RH both absorb and desorb. Wait a day, if RH not high enough for you spritz a little more. KISS and not picking here Oreo but you are over analyzing this, just speaking from my own anal experience.

Other thread you are going to start with a tuperdor. FYI most cigar shops keep RH high so many times you add sticks to a small container the RH will go up. There is little reason to chase RH or try to keep a perfect number. Relax, baby steps, take what other say, do what you want and go from there. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Get beads or the correct KL just spritz them a little bit and they regulate the RH both absorb and desorb. Wait a day, if RH not high enough for you spritz a little more. KISS and not picking here Oreo but you are over analyzing this, just speaking from my own anal experience.

Other thread you are going to start with a tuperdor. FYI most cigar shops keep RH high so many times you add sticks to a small container the RH will go up. There is little reason to chase RH or try to keep a perfect number. Relax, baby steps, take what other say, do what you want and go from there. Good luck.
Not starting anything, but spraying beads, while everyone does it, is terrible for the beads, I use Shilala beads and know Scott pretty well, to keep your beads healthy and happy you can adjust the RH by putting them in a bag with a sponge moistened with distilled water, that will raise the RH, to lower it you can simply put them in the fridge for a bit, it's a bit more of a pain than just hitting them with a spray bottle but it will keep them from breaking up and leaving you with all that fine powder we've all seen. The thermodynamic reaction of the water hitting the beads causes them to have micro cracks, it's that crackling sound you hear when you hit beads with water, or too much water. Again not trying to start anything just imparting some things I've learned the hard way HAHA (yes I have f'ed up my share of beads and have a lot of cracked beads).

Hope no one was offended by this post. :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0

Not starting anything, but spraying beads, while everyone does it, is terrible for the beads, I use Shilala beads and know Scott pretty well, to keep your beads healthy and happy you can adjust the RH by putting them in a bag with a sponge moistened with distilled water, that will raise the RH, to lower it you can simply put them in the fridge for a bit, it's a bit more of a pain than just hitting them with a spray bottle but it will keep them from breaking up and leaving you with all that fine powder we've all seen. The thermodynamic reaction of the water hitting the beads causes them to have micro cracks, it's that crackling sound you hear when you hit beads with water, or too much water. Again not trying to start anything just imparting some things I've learned the hard way HAHA (yes I have f'ed up my share of beads and have a lot of cracked beads).

Hope no one was offended by this post. :)
That's all fine and well but too much work. I rather just spray them (and buy new ones if they stop working.)

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Shilala beads are not to be sprayed because the absorption rate is so high it can actually cause the beads to heat up and damage the clay. So they require different care.

I sprayed silica HF beads for years with no problems, so I imagine with cat litter it is the same. I know many, many people that have added water directly to silica based beads for many years with no problems.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Like I said people spray those beads as well, you just need to have a good spray bottle, I'm not saying I did have a good spray bottle, as far as "too much work" I have a lot of cigars, I don't really think of it as too much work, it's like tending a beautiful garden... or something poetic like that! lol

That being said don't want to highjack this thread and upset the OP.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the consideration but feel free to hijack this thread. I got the answers I was looking for.