What's new

How picky of a smoker are you?

How picky are you when it comes to cigars?

• Very picky

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Somewhat picky

Votes: 72 50.3%
  • Not very picky at all

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • I'll smoke just about any cigar

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I'm a little pickier than I used to be, meaning that if a cigar isn't doing it for me after the first 1/3rd I'll toss it but I'm still pretty easy to please. I love the expensive stuff too but generally, between IPAs and assorted food/drinks I don't find myself taking much time to "study" a cigar and really analyze the flavors. Most of the time it comes down to "good" "great" and "crap" for me. I mean I'll devote more time to a more expensive/complex cigar but I can't see myself smoking complex stuff all the time.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Very few cigars have really WOWed me, but I'll at least try almost anything. Also, I've gotten some enjoyment from almost every cigar I've tried, and had very few I've had to toss early.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I'll try anything once... will not smoke it all the way if I don't like it... but I'll give it a fair chance.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I said "somewhat picky" but I rarely toss a cigar after just 1/3. I'll usually smoke well past half, and if it's an expensive or rare smoke, I'll probably smoke it all even if it's not great--though I may not smoke it again.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Now that I have defined a little better what I like, I would say very picky. I pretty much know what I'm not going to like and don't even bother firing up a cigar if it is questionable.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like to try new things, but there are definitely times when i'll put a cigar out early if i'm not digging it. hasn't happened much, and i'll usually get to at least a half before deciding.

for example, i recently bought some Padrons to try (5 pack of 2000s, 5 pack of Churchills). i didn't like the 2000 at all, but i smoked it to the band before making my final decision. after a couple more weeks of rest, i sparked up a Churchill and only got halfway through before deciding they really aren't for me.
other ones i've tossed in the past few months: Alec Bradley Maxx The Fix, Rocky Patel Connecticut, Fonseca robusto. i have more of these in the humi, and i'll give them another chance... but my first impressions were not that great.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I said "somewhat picky" but I rarely toss a cigar after just 1/3. I'll usually smoke well past half, and if it's an expensive or rare smoke, I'll probably smoke it all even if it's not great--though I may not smoke it again.
Ditto!! Like you I hate throwing it out if it cost me alot. I don't have the dough to burn...literally!

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I chose somewhat picky. I love to try new cigars but I know what I want to try and not try. I only threw away one cigar ever and that's fine by me, I'll just never have it again. I try to stick to it and try to get some enjoyment out of it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Rarely will I pitch a cigar unless it's not drawing or burning properly and have tried everything to correct it

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Most of the time it comes down to "good" "great" and "crap" for me. I mean I'll devote more time to a more expensive/complex cigar but I can't see myself smoking complex stuff all the time.
And I thought I was the only one this way. Like I have said before I can't really pick out all the little nuances of a cigar that others seem to be able to. I just know if I like the dang thing or not :thumbsup:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I went with "somewhat picky" myself. As others here have said before me "I'll likely try any cigar once", though, I'll usually know within several puffs whether or not I will toss it and if that is the case, then I'd likely look to avoid it in the future.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Not very picky at all I will try any cigar. You just never know I might like it. Take the diesel for example. Not a expensive cigar but has good flavor. Who would name a cigar after fuel anyways. I have not tossed a cigar I do give them all a chance.

Rating - 100%
75   0   0
When I first started smoking I wasn't very picky and never paid over 4 dollars for a cigar. Now I'm pretty picky with what I smoke, but I will rarely through out a cigar. Like others have said the main reason I won't through it out is thinking about how much it cost. Though I did throw out a AB presenado last night that wouldn't stay lit and tasted like metallic dog crap. I couldn't tell you another cigar I tossed before hitting the band.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I chose the any cigar option at the bottom. I will smoke almost anything, but won't go back if it sucked. I have a collection of cigars that would be considered junk by many, but they burn, and produce smoke and nicotine. Those are my yardgars, and drive to the bar on Friday and Saturday night cigars. I like to save my good stuff for herfs, or if I'm in a particular mood. I have cigars ranging from .50-to $35 and I'll smoke them all. Of course if something was truly horrible, I'll just save it a re-use the wrapper later on.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
As I've gained more experience and my tastes have been more sharply honed I find I am VERY picky.

I know what I want and since I don't smoke that often, when I do, I want to ensure I will enjoy every minute of it.

I'm still open to trying new sticks... just not as often as I used to say 3 or 4 years ago.