What's new

How sophisticated is your personal palate?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
First off let me say I drink to much strong black coffee, also my main vice is hot & spicy food. So sometimes I chuckle to myself when I read a Cigar discription of the flavors I am going to experience.

I many times laugh to myself, wondering how these experts tast spice, coffee, or other taste. My personal palate is not shall we say that sophisticated.

I wonder what is it the experts don't eat or drink that is the reason their taste are so much better then mine. This am I smoking what I calla relative inexpensive stick. This one is under $7.00, and is full of complexed flavor, but if someone asked what I personally tasted. I could not separate the components. I would just say very complexed flavors. :cyclops:

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Rolling my own let's me experience nuances between the different flavors each leaf brings. It's crucial to be able to tell these differences since a blend can be vastly different with just a half of a leaf.

For example, my café Oro blend has Colombian and Brazilian tobacco. The Brazilian brings cream and a pleasant sweetness. The Colombian brings earth and a "horse-shittiness" that i enjoy dearly. Combine them together, a rich, creamy latté. Half a strip of broadleaf, boom we have an earthy mocha. And don't even get me started on wrappers...

So yes, palette development is important and great to practice; but sometimes it's just better to sit, smoke, and enjoy then wonder if you're tasting gingerbread or cinnamon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I sit out side daily and enjoy Cigars. Today is a new adventure as I am smoking new stuff I got in a trade deal, both have very complexed flavor. But I honestly can not discribe the tastes, pinpointing exact flavor components.

In my world it comes down to me if I like the flavor, or don't like the flavor. Both of the sticks I had today are better then I like they were both great.

Dinner last night was Chili, of course I had to add Red Onion to mine, plus some Jalapeño Peppers. Some like it hot, I love hot. So I am sure my taste buds suffer from my obcession with hot & spicy.

Recently went to a salsa shop at the local mall. Ask the clerk what your hottest stuff. He point to some chili concoction in a bottle, I could try if I sign a waver. I got to try their super hot stuff.

Kids ask how was it? I replied it got my attention but was not that hot. He said most people run for the water fountain. I said it was warn by my mouth was not in need of rescue.

I would like to find a Cigar that had a hot pepper taste. LOL......:cigar:

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Oh yeah, hard to beat some good old horse shittiness in a stick :)

Back in the day when we use to got to TJ Mexico they sold Cigarette's who band was Horses***, Think they were just junky Mexican made smokes. But the tourism bought them as gag gifts.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I sit out side daily and enjoy Cigars. Today is a new adventure as I am smoking new stuff I got in a trade deal, both have very complexed flavor. But I honestly can not discribe the tastes, pinpointing exact flavor components.

In my world it comes down to me if I like the flavor, or don't like the flavor. Both of the sticks I had today are better then I like they were both great.

Dinner last night was Chili, of course I had to add Red Onion to mine, plus some Jalapeño Peppers. Some like it hot, I love hot. So I am sure my taste buds suffer from my obcession with hot & spicy.

Recently went to a salsa shop at the local mall. Ask the clerk what your hottest stuff. He point to some chili concoction in a bottle, I could try if I sign a waver. I got to try their super hot stuff.

Kids ask how was it? I replied it got my attention but was not that hot. He said most people run for the water fountain. I said it was warn by my mouth was not in need of rescue.

I would like to find a Cigar that had a hot pepper taste. LOL......:cigar:
Try the JDN 1970 or MOW Ruination. Both had a pepper zing imo.

To answer your question, I think it just depends on the person bro. I smoke cigarettes and I can still discern flavors, and we all know cigs are a bigger palette killer than spicy food. And the variety of cigars one smokes. The more you smoke, the more likely you are to discern the flavors.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If you get bored and want to try picking out specific subtle flavors read a couple good reviews on the cigar you plan to smoke. Look for the flavor profiles that show up in multiple reviews and then see if you notice those flavors throughout the smoke now that you know what to look (taste) for. Keeping in mind your palate may pickup on something similar yet different as @Hopduro said gingerbread vs cinnamon.
First off let me say I drink to much strong black coffee, also my main vice is hot & spicy food. So sometimes I chuckle to myself when I read a Cigar discription of the flavors I am going to experience.

I many times laugh to myself, wondering how these experts tast spice, coffee, or other taste. My personal palate is not shall we say that sophisticated.

I wonder what is it the experts don't eat or drink that is the reason their taste are so much better then mine. This am I smoking what I calla relative inexpensive stick. This one is under $7.00, and is full of complexed flavor, but if someone asked what I personally tasted. I could not separate the components. I would just say very complexed flavors. :cyclops:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The Colombian brings earth and a "horse-shittiness" that i enjoy dearly. Combine them together, a rich, creamy latté. Half a strip of broadleaf, boom we have an earthy mocha. And don't even get me started on wrappers...

So yes, palette development is important and great to practice; but sometimes it's just better to sit, smoke, and enjoy then wonder if you're tasting gingerbread or cinnamon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Hop, I was so looking forward to trying all your blends...
Right up until this comment.......