What's new

How to attend a cigar tasting?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Two local B&Ms are having tastings on, of all things, the same evening. I'm trying to decide which one to go to or to try and make both.

GURKHA TASTING
Wednesday 08 March 2017, 04:00pm - 08:00pm
Hits : 16
Join us and the illustrious Armando Laipdo from Gurkha Cigar Co. for another amazing evening of stogies, swag, food and drinks! It's only $15 at the door for the best deals on Gurkha Cigars and some of the coolest and unique swag on the market!

AND/OR

20170221_111201_resized.jpg

Anybody ever do these events and can you give me a heads up on what to expect? Are they normally "get there early and stay events" or are they more like "hang around an hour and then slip out the side door" type deals? What can I expect?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I usually go and have a smoke, chat with people, see what deals they have, buy something, get SWAG and then go home.
First one I went to was for Tatuaje and I met @jwintosh smoking a Frank and everyone at our table won something in the raffle. I actually won twice, but gave the Arrogant Bastard Ale T-shirt to the one guy who didn't win and kept the Tat blacks to myself.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Skip the Gurkha event. CLE makes some good sticks.
This.

I've been to some local events and had a great time. I'll just buy some smokes they have as deals for the night and hang out. The raffles (at least here at my local b&m's) usually are towards closing time....10-11pm. So I get there around 4:30-5ish the latest and hang out until the end to see if I won anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
If Kaizad Hansotia was going to be at the Gurkha event, I would definitely go to that one and just bask in his douchebaggery. As they stand, I would skip both. If you're just really wanting to attend one to see what it's like, just pick one and go. At the few events I've gone to, I've always been able to strike up an interesting conversation with a stranger. Cigar smokers are surprisingly cool people.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the link, maybe I'll go by, shake his hand and suggest he not mention Bill's name when talking about the unique flavors of his cigars!!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
How do his business practices have any bearing on his person? Unless you know him personally? I think other companies sell crap too.
I respectfully disagree; sketchy business practices and a well-documented history of derisive comments about one's own customer base make for a pretty sketchy person. "We are as we repeatedly do."

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I respectfully disagree; sketchy business practices and a well-documented history of derisive comments about one's own customer base make for a pretty sketchy person. "We are as we repeatedly do."
I am not the one to defend gurkha or owner but anyone can set the MSRP of anything they sell at whatever they like? There are actually people who pay full price for cigars whether they are gurkhas or tats. And "sketchy" person is much different than "turd."

Either way, why are we having this conversation?

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Who is Keyser Hansoze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Hansoze. You never knew. That was his power.
The greatest trick the devil the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna jump on the gurka bashing, as they do make a couple decent sticks. As far as the tastings, I attend one a month sponsored by a cigar bar in a nearby town. For $10 you get the cigar, liquor tasting, beer tasting, and a nice buffet. Its strictly a cash bar, but his prices are in line with every other bar in the area. Met quite a few great people over the past two years. The specials on the featured sticks brings box prices in line with on line ordering (often cheaper) so I pick up a box before I leave. Learned alot about cigars from the various reps, and the liquor rep is a fountain of information. Most reps throw in some swag and free cigars with box purchase, and since some of the reps know I'm a buyer, usually get some extra.

By all means give one shot. Don't be too disappointed if it's your first, but keep attending when you get the chance. I've had the chance to try a lot of different cigars, some I'd never heard of before. I continue to attend them.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife and I went to the CLE event this evening, met some nice people, had some good food, a couple of Shiners on draft and smoked a few cigars. The factory rep recommended I try the Aslum Nyctophilia . Turned out to be a really nice cigar fresh out the box.
Glad you enjoyed the event. Attend as many of these as you can. It beats randomly picking a place and hoping for the best. It gives you a chance to smoke with other, like-minded people, try something new, and ask questions from knowledgeable smokers (rather than some anonymous Internet poster), and, when the business owner gets to know you, you'll be less likely to experience what you did in an earlier thread when you show up just to smoke one cigar. It's nice your wife went with you. Mine refuses to go (she's okay with my smoking, just doesnt like cigars) , but my son is always willing, so it gives us a chance to hang out.