What's new

How to avoid soft spots?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a long time, I noticed when bloggers review a cigar they mention that "this cigar is well-packed with no soft spots".

And since I was into rolling, I find most of my sticks have soft spots on some sides. Although this turns out to be no problem with burn IMO. Just thinking about how to get as close as to a pro stick.

My assumption is that I bind cigars tightly in a very close rg as to final rg and then put them in the molds, so molds don't play a very important role. But in videos, I find pros bind relatively loosely, and let molds do most pressing job. I guess is it because the molds press more evenly than my hands do?

Or do you think it's just because my hands don't arrange fillers properly which causes soft spots? If so, any tips?

Thank you in advance, master home rollers :p

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For a long time, I noticed when bloggers review a cigar they mention that "this cigar is well-packed with no soft spots".

And since I was into rolling, I find most of my sticks have soft spots on some sides. Although this turns out to be no problem with burn IMO. Just thinking about how to get as close as to a pro stick.

My assumption is that I bind cigars tightly in a very close rg as to final rg and then put them in the molds, so molds don't play a very important role. But in videos, I find pros bind relatively loosely, and let molds do most pressing job. I guess is it because the molds press more evenly than my hands do?

Or do you think it's just because my hands don't arrange fillers properly which causes soft spots? If so, any tips?

Thank you in advance, master home rollers :p
Poor arrangement of fillers. I bind loose and airy but very evenly, and the right amount for the size. Then the mold does the magic. That is the pro way. The tight way is only for bunching without a mold.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Sounds like you aren't getting an even fill in your bunch. This is something that just comes with practice. Before wrapping the bunch in your binder make sure there is a uniform density head to foot in your bunch. If one spot feels thinner than the rest you will have a soft spot in the finished product. If you are consistently having soft spots you may consider adding a little more leaf to your bunch.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you aren't getting an even fill in your bunch. This is something that just comes with practice. Before wrapping the bunch in your binder make sure there is a uniform density head to foot in your bunch. If one spot feels thinner than the rest you will have a soft spot in the finished product. If you are consistently having soft spots you may consider adding a little more leaf to your bunch.
By now it's really difficult for me to feel the right density in my hands, what I do to adjust density is when binding, I open where I find soft, add scraps and re-bind it, doesn't fully change the condition tho.

I also find binding a small rg (lancero, petit corona) is harder than medium-large (robusto) rg. My lanceros turn out to be full of soft spots, robustos are alright.

It's all about feeling and practice, isn't it?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
By now it's really difficult for me to feel the right density in my hands, what I do to adjust density is when binding, I open where I find soft, add scraps and re-bind it, doesn't fully change the condition tho.

I also find binding a small rg (lancero, petit corona) is harder than medium-large (robusto) rg. My lanceros turn out to be full of soft spots, robustos are alright.

Ya, it is. Roll a few thousand more and one day you'll look back and think, Where did my soft spots go?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

You nailed it. "Feeling and practice" the two most important parts of our craft. For lanceros, my filler is laid in my hand in one long peice after I accordion the individual leaves, you can do the same with the entubado method. Then I tear exactly in the middle so I have two even peices that I lay on top of each other to roll into my binder. There typically is no scrap or pieces left behind and I get a nice even fill.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You nailed it. "Feeling and practice" the two most important parts of our craft. For lanceros, my filler is laid in my hand in one long peice after I accordion the individual leaves, you can do the same with the entubado method. Then I tear exactly in the middle so I have two even peices that I lay on top of each other to roll into my binder. There typically is no scrap or pieces left behind and I get a nice even fill.
Haven't tried accordion method yet. It doesn't shorten the fillers, right?
I think about length because entubado seems not works well for lanceros especially you tear fillers into half..

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Consistent density. my first mistake was due to thinking that firmness was achieved through bunching alone. they were plenty firm but, if they drew well enough, (most were plugged) they would just not burn right. I'm thinking, how is it that every Perdomo is firm, draws, and burns like a champ. as it turned out, it took a well constructed stick, (draw / burn) and sufficient dry time (firmness).
Then there was the realization that there was a difference in setting the pressure for the draw and, setting the pressure for the burn so, I learned to set the pressure along the length for burn and, set the pressure for the draw in the shoulder.

About consistency in pressure. It all came to a head when I recognized that it didn't matter if I whatever, whatever, if the leaves I was using were not able to be manipulated well. so, it was a matter of sorting and, the case to do so without shredding everything to pieces. Which meant, bringing the case past rolling levels so that the crinkled and folded bits could be flattened so, that then I would be able to manipulate the leaves how I wanted or, how they needed to be positioned to bring that consistency to bear.

About ring gauge. figure more gauge, more variant allotment.
Consider taking three equal bunches (by weight) and, binding each one a little looser then the previous. Starting with what is bound to the mold size, (like your description) then what is just right and, what is considered to loose. mold and, press/rotate. This will show how the binding pressure/size is effected in molding.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistent density. my first mistake was due to thinking that firmness was achieved through bunching alone. they were plenty firm but, if they drew well enough, (most were plugged) they would just not burn right. I'm thinking, how is it that every Perdomo is firm, draws, and burns like a champ. as it turned out, it took a well constructed stick, (draw / burn) and sufficient dry time (firmness).
Then there was the realization that there was a difference in setting the pressure for the draw and, setting the pressure for the burn so, I learned to set the pressure along the length for burn and, set the pressure for the draw in the shoulder.

About consistency in pressure. It all came to a head when I recognized that it didn't matter if I whatever, whatever, if the leaves I was using were not able to be manipulated well. so, it was a matter of sorting and, the case to do so without shredding everything to pieces. Which meant, bringing the case past rolling levels so that the crinkled and folded bits could be flattened so, that then I would be able to manipulate the leaves how I wanted or, how they needed to be positioned to bring that consistency to bear.

About ring gauge. figure more gauge, more variant allotment.
Consider taking three equal bunches (by weight) and, binding each one a little looser then the previous. Starting with what is bound to the mold size, (like your description) then what is just right and, what is considered to loose. mold and, press/rotate. This will show how the binding pressure/size is effected in molding.
THank you for that very detailed explanation!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The heck is "variant allotment" Marc?
He meant varmint alot-ment; as in, a lot of varmints prefer bigger gauges. At least I think that's what he meant.

Either that, or, the bigger the gauge the more you gotta be artful laying in the tips and tails because there is more chance of gauge variance (contrary to the OP's contention vis a vis lanceros).