What's new

How to get started?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Ha thanks man, I can only order one right now. I'll need to figure out a hobby to cut back on in case I do like this.
Wait for it....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
"In case I do like this" lolz. Based on your initial post and wanting to make something with your hands, plus your affinity for tobacco, I'm betting you're gonna fall right in with the rest of us degenerates. When you start to roll as much as I do, you absorb enough vitamin N through your hands that you will always find a way to make time to roll.
I started with the Terroso Profundo kit but either of those kits are a good starting point. I'm a fan of the Dominican binder and it's what I use the majority of the time.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wait for it....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
"In case I do like this" lolz. Based on your initial post and wanting to make something with your hands, plus your affinity for tobacco, I'm betting you're gonna fall right in with the rest of us degenerates. When you start to roll as much as I do, you absorb enough vitamin N through your hands that you will always find a way to make time to roll.
I started with the Terroso Profundo kit but either of those kits are a good starting point. I'm a fan of the Dominican binder and it's what I use the majority of the time.
Ha!! We will see. Seems expensive though. The kit is well priced (except for that $11 shipping) but looking at the other tobacco by the pound, I'm not really sure how deep I can get into this. Since you'll need a bunch of different leaves to blend with. After the initial investment of the "starter" kit, when it comes time to order more tobacco, how many different leaves do you need to purchase to roll your own blends?

Also, how do you store this stuff? I'm in CO and it's extremely dry out here, do I need to take special measures to store the leaf I haven't rolled yet?

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Ha!! We will see. Seems expensive though. The kit is well priced (except for that $11 shipping) but looking at the other tobacco by the pound, I'm not really sure how deep I can get into this. Since you'll need a bunch of different leaves to blend with. After the initial investment of the "starter" kit, when it comes time to order more tobacco, how many different leaves do you need to purchase to roll your own blends?

Also, how do you store this stuff? I'm in CO and it's extremely dry out here, do I need to take special measures to store the leaf I haven't rolled yet?
I know nothing about leaf RH but I was going to keep it the same as regular cigars.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0

I'm in AZ and storage of leaf is no issue. Keep em in the bags they come in and stuff em in a big tupper bin. It can be a bit of an investment when you start to order a variety of fillers, but a pound of leaf goes quite a long ways. I imagine that my cost on my sticks is somewhere between $1-$2 depending on the wrapper I use and how large I roll so even though the upfront cost can be significant, $100 in leaf is probably gonna yield you 50-80 sticks depending on your wrapper choice and how large you make them. Don't hold me to those numbers, that's just pulling stuff off the top of my head.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know nothing about leaf RH but I was going to keep it the same as regular cigars.
That's another problem for me then as I don't have anywhere to store full leaf at 60ish RH. No room for any more coolers either..... I'm hoping there is an easy way to keep the leaf from crumbling to bits in less than 24 hours. I doubt the bags they come in will hold RH enough to use a Boveda in the bags.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm in AZ and storage of leaf is no issue. Keep em in the bags they come in and stuff em in a big tupper bin. It can be a bit of an investment when you start to order a variety of fillers, but a pound of leaf goes quite a long ways. I imagine that my cost on my sticks is somewhere between $1-$2 depending on the wrapper I use and how large I roll so even though the upfront cost can be significant, $100 in leaf is probably gonna yield you 50-80 sticks depending on your wrapper choice and how large you make them. Don't hold me to those numbers, that's just pulling stuff off the top of my head.
That's not too bad , I can swing $100 every so often on leaf. So no Boveda's in the tupperware? How big does tupperware need to be? Sorry, I've never seen a full tobacco leaf LOL! I just don't have much space, but if the tupperware isn't huge I can probably fit it on a shelf in my closet somewhere.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Stick yer stuff in an ice chest. I'm bettin you got an ice chest you're not using until next summer.

Couple pounds filler, pound of wrapper, you're good to go. Use wrapper scrap as binder. After you punch the tar baby, well, ask Uncle Remus.

Hey, I'll make you a deal here, @StogieJim ... You roll 25 uglies from that starter kit and document them, I'll shoot you out another batch of leaves gratis... enough for 50 decreasingly ugly gars. You'll be whippin them out pretty as MarcL before you know it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
That's not too bad , I can swing $100 every so often on leaf. So no Boveda's in the tupperware? How big does tupperware need to be? Sorry, I've never seen a full tobacco leaf LOL! I just don't have much space, but if the tupperware isn't huge I can probably fit it on a shelf in my closet somewhere.
The bin I use is something like 50qt and has probably around 8lbs of filler and fits nicely in my closet. The bags the filler leaf comes in from wlt are vacuum sealed and hold humidity. After I open the bags I reseal with my vacuum sealer. If the leaf gets a little too dry, a squirt bottle full of distilled water fixes that right quick. No need to add any boveda or anything.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That's another problem for me then as I don't have anywhere to store full leaf at 60ish RH. No room for any more coolers either..... I'm hoping there is an easy way to keep the leaf from crumbling to bits in less than 24 hours. I doubt the bags they come in will hold RH enough to use a Boveda in the bags.
I've kept my bags of leaves in one of the boxes they shipped in. Just re-tape them closed after opening. No problem so far. As I use the leaf, if I need to I spray some distilled water on them as I set up, then do something else for 30 minutes as it soaks in. No fancy storage needed.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Stick yer stuff in an ice chest. I'm bettin you got an ice chest you're not using until next summer.

Couple pounds filler, pound of wrapper, you're good to go. Use wrapper scrap as binder. After you punch the tar baby, well, ask Uncle Remus.

Hey, I'll make you a deal here, @StogieJim ... You roll 25 uglies from that starter kit and document them, I'll shoot you out another batch of leaves gratis... enough for 50 decreasingly ugly gars. You'll be whippin them out pretty as MarcL before you know it.
Very cool of you man. Thank you.

I'll need to figure out if I even have the space now. I literally have no space in the walk in, and my other closet in the other bedroom is a joke. Definitely no space for a large tupperware in there. This "hobby" may have to hold off until I can afford a house (which I don't see happening in CO)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Very cool of you man. Thank you.

I'll need to figure out if I even have the space now. I literally have no space in the walk in, and my other closet in the other bedroom is a joke. Definitely no space for a large tupperware in there. This "hobby" may have to hold off until I can afford a house (which I don't see happening in CO)
Room under the bed? On top of the fridge? As a second pillow? Don't give up so easy!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Room under the bed? On top of the fridge? As a second pillow? Don't give up so easy!!
This is a good idea as I know they make those under the bed containers. Do they need to be airtight? Like I said, it's super dry out here and my pipe tobacco is even in a bag is crumbling to dust within 24 hours. Going to see if I can find an under the bed container of some sort.

I seriously have no room. My place is not a mess, quite the opposite, but my space is so limited as the design of this joint wasn't very well thought out.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
This is a good idea as I know they make those under the bed containers. Do they need to be airtight? Like I said, it's super dry out here and my pipe tobacco is even in a bag is crumbling to dust within 24 hours. Going to see if I can find an under the bed container of some sort.

I seriously have no room. My place is not a mess, quite the opposite, but my space is so limited as the design of this joint wasn't very well thought out.
As long as you are keeping the leaf in the bags they come in the container does not need to be air tight. If you don't have a vacuum sealer folding the bag and taping works well too.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As long as you are keeping the leaf in the bags they come in the container does not need to be air tight. If you don't have a vacuum sealer folding the bag and taping works well too.
Ok so I can't really tell from pictures, when ordering leaf, what are the dimensions of the bag that the leaf comes in? Im trying to see if I can find a container that would store the minimum amount of leaf I need and to see if I have the space for it. From all the things I've read about beetles hatching, I really don't want this leaf under my bed or near my clothing.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok so I can't really tell from pictures, when ordering leaf, what are the dimensions of the bag that the leaf comes in? Im trying to see if I can find a container that would store the minimum amount of leaf I need and to see if I have the space for it. From all the things I've read about beetles hatching, I really don't want this leaf under my bed or near my clothing.

Baccy beetles ain't gonna bite you. They just crawl in your ears and lay their eggs... then the larvae eat your brain and you become a zombie

Seriously, not a prob.

Don's bags from Whole Leaf vary in size according to the size of leaves. Those are the ones which are vapor proof. Typical may be somewhere around 8" x 24". Leaf Only's bags are not suitable for long term storage. They're fairly permeable.

Stop worrying. Worry diminishes fun.