What's new

How to prevent mushy cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked two cigars of my first blend this weekend. They felt pretty solid before I lit them up. About 1/3 of the way into them the entire cigar got very mushy. I'm thinking that I didn't roll the binder firm enough or not hard enough press in the mold. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On a good note. The blend flavor was pretty good a little more bitter then I like, but a good starting point. I’ll try another at 6 weeks.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I smoked two cigars of my first blend this weekend. They felt pretty solid before I lit them up. About 1/3 of the way into them the entire cigar got very mushy. I'm thinking that I didn't roll the binder firm enough or not hard enough press in the mold. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

On a good note. The blend flavor was pretty good a little more bitter then I like, but a good starting point. I’ll try another at 6 weeks.
If it was firm before you lit and got mushy after, it didn't have enough filler in the bunch.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You're doing good. Usually, it's the ends that beginners have trouble getting firm. In fact, there's another old thread somewhere's here about how do you get the ends firm. I'll see if I can find it.

==================

Here it is -- a thread entitled "The Secret to Good Head"

Naturally, the title of that thread got us all side-tracked onto things like frenulums and such not tongue in cheek comments. But my point is, I think newbs prolly have more probs keeping the ends firm than the middles. So you're doing good. Easily solved.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I began rolling I pay more attention to the feel of the commercial cigars I smoke. All cigars soften up as you smoke them. A lot of commercial cigars have a very firm head because ( IMHO) they use a lot of glue in the cap. My test for proper construction is the burn. Does it draw well, and burn straight? If that works everything else is just decoration.