What's new

How to store cigars?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the cello on when the cigars are in my cooler and then take it off when I transfer the next couple weeks of smokes into my 50ct wooden humidor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I dont smoke enough, so my cigars have pleanty of time to age. Always been taught to keep cigars in cello as it is a permiable membrane that humidity goes in and out and will help protect your sticks.
Yea, I've acquired enough cigars that giving new ones extra time really isn't a problem.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If they come w/o cello I store them in a tray to protect the wrapper and don't move them around ( I also put them inside a zíploc unzipped ) ...if they come in cello I'll clip off both ends so they can breathe. Cello btw is permeable ( porous )

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of what I have on hand comes from various brick and mortar stores in the area. Some keep them at a fairly high RH, and one local one that's keeps their inventory very low. I am however a fan on leaving the cello on and clipping the foot of the cello off. That goes for all cigars that come w/cello.

Oh, and the really low RH store also happens to sell a wide assortment of colorful glass-blown pipes! :LOL:

Satch

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm late to the party like usual, crazy world right now. Just to clarify, the OP referred to cellophane as a wrapper, the pretty outer leaf of the cigar is the wrapper. Anyway, "cellophane" is called that because of it's cellular structure as it's a plant product, it breathes. Try burning some a little bit, it won't readily melt like plastic, it'll turn black first.
Also the "sick" subject. Whether by humidity, temperature, or both, the tobacco in the cigar will pickup/continue fermentation and produce ammonia. The waiting time is for the ammonia to dissipate so your cigar tastes right, or to just get the humidity right when fresh ones are still rather moist. Complex but simple at the same time.
The cellophane protects your cigars from wrapper damage and can breathe just fine, leave it on.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave most of my cigars with the cello. My theory being that it helps keep in all the oils and volatiles, which makes them age better. Also I've found taking off the cello makes the cigar lose some of it's pre-light aroma, which I love taking in before I light up. I'm fairly new to cigars, so a lot of my collection is young. I've got a few handfuls of sticks without cello in the hopes that they will rest and evaporate any ammonia type stuff faster and be ok to smoke in the mean time, but probably won't be as good as something rested in a cello for longer.