What's new

How Touchy are You?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
What they said. Razor sharp burn doesn't mean much of anything to me. At about a half inch I'll try to give it a little help along, just cause if I have to torch anymore than that, it's a waste.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I try to let it self correct if possible by rotating frequently. I'll do a touch up if there is a disparity of a half inch to an inch depending on how I feel at the moment.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's looking like about 1/2 inch seems to be the common time to take action. This a much more forgiving group and a lot more inline with my style than some of the reviewers are. I hope they remember to take the time to relax and enjoy the smoke while they're not "at work". Thanks for all the replies guys, keep them coming!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few quick points:

1. I agree with the consensus, 1/2" is about the right point. I tend to let it go slightly longer out of curiosity....
2. Getting an initial even burn/light to start is often necessary.
3. Today's heavy blends are far more likely to burn uneven than the typical blends of 2 decades ago.
4. If a cigar needs constant touch-ups, the maker fucked the duck imo.

BR,

STS

Reactions: nic
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Few quick points:

1. I agree with the consensus, 1/2" is about the right point. I tend to let it go slightly longer out of curiosity....
2. Getting an initial even burn/light to start is often necessary.
3. Today's heavy blends are far more likely to burn uneven than the typical blends of 2 decades ago.
4. If a cigar needs constant touch-ups, the maker fucked the duck imo.

BR,

STS
Excellent points, Mr. Saka. Number 3 didn't occur to me until reading your post, makes sense!

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I find myself always thinking about this thread. I am obsessive about my burn line. It's part of my process I guess. I did find howver that I was killing my sticks w too intense of a flame.

So I recently bought the Xikar Allume single flame jet. It's perfect! A precise little flame that suits my needs. For others like me, I reccomend it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've always only attempted repairs if the cigar looks f'ed up to my eye. As I think about it, "f'ed up" pretty much occurs at the 1/2 inch discrepancy mark that has been noted by many in this thread.

As for tunneling, tunneling is evil incarnate.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'll join on the bandwagon with the brothers here.. that give it a 1/2 inch to straighten it out , or I 'll hit the "high side" with a lighter.
Usually when I see it coming, I'll rotate the cigar around ( delinquent side up ) since the heat rises. Seems to work pretty well. Another trick is to moisten my finger to my tongue and give the low side a tap.

Another thing I noticed is I store all my smokes label up. And I'll smoke the label up. And sometimes it appears it's the opposite end ( bottom side) that seems low. Could just be selective observation, who knows. Totally non-obsessive here.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I just let it burn and reserve touchups for serious burn issues. They usually always correct themselves, and never have I tossed a cigar for a wonky burn.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I find myself always thinking about this thread. I am obsessive about my burn line. It's part of my process I guess. I did find howver that I was killing my sticks w too intense of a flame.

So I recently bought the Xikar Allume single flame jet. It's perfect! A precise little flame that suits my needs. For others like me, I reccomend it.
I received a single torch Allume last Christmas. I tend to like a long and low temp toasting so it doesn't work well for me with most sticks, but I use it for the rare touch up and to toast up lanceros and other smaller rings. I agree that it does excel in the touch up category. I really like that style of lighter though, been tempted to snag the triple jet version for more of an everyday use.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I usually read while smoking, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the burn line. Sometimes I'll look down and realize that it's off by a full inch. Of course that requires a major correction. Heck, half the time I don't even realize that I've reached the band, until I smell paper burning, lol.

If I'm smoking with friends, or watching a game, I spend a little more time looking at the cigar. In those cases, 1/4" off or more gets a correction.

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I think half inch is about where I break out the lighter, though I've never really paid real close attention. Usually I just eyeball it, and if it doesn't look like the burn is going to fix itself I'll touch it up.
That being said, I think there is a couple important factors in even or uneven burn: proper lighting definitely promotes a more even burn. I also feel that humidor conditions are essential to proper burn, though some sticks seem to like 70% whereas some like 65%. Some of my sticks at 70% started burning a little off and some burn great at the same 70%. Generally I like to stay in the area of 65% to 67% though, that seems to keep the burn and flavor pretty good.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Great thread, before reading this I never really thought about it. When I thought about it I concluded that I am 4-5 on the "Touchy Scale". Like most, if the cigar does not correct itself and starts to look unsightly, I will touch it up. What I have found is that if I am patient when lighting it not to allow too much direct heat, I don't experience the need for a touch up.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Im pretty touch but I've been smoking alot of smaller r g lately they seem to get outta wack if they get too far off I just hold it off to the side of the flame just enough to get what I need I dont even touch it to the flame. Seems to work well

Big Tex

Meathead
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1/4" ish and it's gonna get some help from me. I can generally tell by the smell when it starts to get too far out of hand as the tobacco is not combusting properly and gives off the "smoldering" aroma....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I won't touch up unless it is absolutely necessary. Most quality cigars will correct themselves as it continues to burn through your consumption. As you said, unless I can see that it won't correct itself and will soon inhibit my cigar smoking, then I will go ahead and touch it up with my lighter. Also, I tend to be a little slower in lighting my cigar - not rushing it - so that I ensure it is even and off to a good start. I feel this works well for me. Cheers!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No, I didn't somehow find out about your recent conversation with your HR rep. I'm talking touch ups/corrections on your cigars!
This is something I've kind of wondered about for a long time now. When do you decide a stick needs a little help in the burn department, and how does that make you feel?
Like most of you, when I need to kill a little time waiting for meetings, appointments, or just in a general bored mood, I start browsing the pages upon pages of cigar reviews that flood the Internet. I have a few favorite review sites, but that's neither here nor there. I read all kinds, some to help influence purchase decisions, some strictly for entertainment. No matter the author, at some point on some stick they will type on the need for burn line correction. I've come across some generally reliable reviewers that mention how 1 inch in and the stick "required several touch ups"! I personally call shenanigans on that, someone is either trying to sound superior or trying to add drama to the review, but what ever. I really only touch up if I notice tunneling, or a chunk that's not burning at all. As long as the wrapper is burning, or looks like it's going to start burning again I don't mind. When I do finally decide to grab the lighter again it doesn't really bother me, on the other side I have come across posts stating people would rather toss this stick than do a little maintenance and proceed to berate the manufacturer, roller, or some other factor. Premium cigars are a hand made product made from an agricultural product. The fact we get consistently at all is pretty amazing to me!
So where do you stand, correct at the slightest wave? Wait for 1/2 inch differance? Wait until half the stick is just hitting the second third and the other half is at the nub? Also, where do you draw the line on continuing to smoke a stick that needs some help, one and done? Give it two touches then call it a dud? No right or wrong answers here, just curious about your habits and opinions.
Personally, I like to give the cigar a chance to correct itself. Yesterday, I was smoking a TAA2015 and for some reason, one small corner just would not light - even with rotating. I got all "touchy" with it and from there on out it burned perfectly. Sometimes you just get a stubborn spot that needs help. I say, give it a chance, re-touch, and then if mentally you've just had enough then just trash it. I do agree though about the quality having a lot to do with burn.