What's new

How'd you get into cigars?

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
That was 40 years ago friend. It was a series in I believe American Horseman and a couple of others magazine now long gone. There was a picture of the two of us on horse back with the Thompson s clearly visible on the pack horse. We were both smoking cigars but I have long since lost it.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
That was 40 years ago friend. It was a series in I believe American Horseman and a couple of others magazine now long gone. There was a picture of the two of us on horse back with the Thompson s clearly visible on the pack horse. We were both smoking cigars but I have long since lost it.
AMA is still around, but since the article is lost...I'd love some detail. Unless you don't feel like typing it out, I have been interested in some travel of my own. Either horseback or in a diferent saddle (bmw gs)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Pops shared a Cuban Punch or Partigas with me when I was 16. He use to travel world wide and would bring boxes back. I really wish he still traveled like that now! I remember just sitting there hanging with the guys and enjoying the moment. I've enjoyed the occasional smoke for years, but now, the past three-ish years, I'm balls deep.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
When I was in Jr High, I remember grabbing cigars from my Dad's desk drawer, and smoking them in lieu of cigarettes. (Every once and a while, a cigar will take me back to that exact feeling of being a young rebel!)

Never really got into cigarettes, but then jumped into the cigar boom of '92, and never looked back :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started smoking cigars 7 months ago when I picked up a few at a B&M. I've been recovering from a broken neck/cervical fusion for the past couple of years and was a very unhappy person always in pain. My wife kept yelling at me to "pick up a new hobby!" I couldn't lift weights anymore or play softball (like I used to), so a few trips to various B&M's and many hours on BOTL got me hooked on Cigars! I've been pain free for the past 5 months and the wineador & 2 - 50ct Humidors are completely full! The wife is happy that I have found a new hobby that I'm passionate about! Thanks BOTL!!

JRRIII

Jake
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember my dad smoking just a couple times in my life but I always enjoyed the smell. So when I was finally old enough to buy them and sat down with a serious cigar smoker/tobacconist who showed me how to truly smoke/enjoy/appreciate them I've been hooked ever since :cbig:

Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I always wanted to hang with my old man because I look up to him immensely and we pal around like best friends. He used to go to a local cigar shop every Saturday and Sunday around noon for a couple sticks, so when I was home and I wanted to hang, I had to go to the shop.

I'm an all or nothing kinda guy, so I dove in head first... If I was going to be spend every weekend for hours and hours smoking and chilling, I might as well check into it a little.

... The rest is history for me.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Started a few years back around a camp fire and a friend handed me a cigar. Got serious about 2 years ago and my bank account has never recovered.:dunno:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a teen and preteen I was always fascinated with tobacco and it's history. As a fan of the original Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories, I was always asking about pipes and cigars. Then the portrayal of smoking in the early Looney Tunes cartoon's and in movies depicting the 19th and early 20th centuries kept my interest up. Finally, at about 15, I started with some Garcia y Vega English coronas, Macanudo Hampton Courts and Hav-A-Tampa Jewels. Didn't know anything about premium cigars until years later when I realized my friend's father smoked cigars and was more than willing to talk about them, and share them. It was his advice at the end of a summer trip to the beach house to stop at a news stand in a mall on the way home and try a Fuente Opus X, if i liked his other cigars I'd love that he said. Well, I loved it indeed and have been progressively getting into the hobby since, more so the last couple years.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started smoking cigars little over a year and a half ago. No real reason to be honest. I had always wanted to try one and there is a cigar shop in the same shopping center as my store. One day I decided to just stop by and try one. I was 28 and had never smoked anything a in my life. Told the guy in the shop that I wanted to try something but that I had never smoked anything and did not want to be throwing up that night. He sold me a Perdomo Champagne. I really enjoyed it even though it was a robusto and it took me nearly 3 hours to smoke it. I looked up a lot of things to see how big of a risk it really was and decided to go ahead and start down the slope. After reading some forum post here and there I went from a tupperware bowel that held 5 cigars to a couple of winadors and a coolerdor. It has been one of the best hobbies I have gotten into.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Started smoking back in high school, but at that time it was mainly swisher sweets and Garcia y vega's (yuck!). One of my buddies dads smokes a lot of cigars so we dipped into his humidor one time and got hold of a Thompson house blend (better, but still yuck!) and it was on from there. We discovered a local b&m and I just started buying every kind of cigar I could afford and trying everything, landing on CAO, Ashton, Padron, and AVO as my favs. Now I still try lots of cigars and I would still say that Padron is my hands down favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I suppose it started in college when I'd grab a few cheapies before going fishing or hiking. But it really picked up when my wife got pregnant with our son and I gave up cigarettes. I started smoking cigars while doing yard work or relaxing after work. Then a friend introduced me to BOTL and it was downhill from there.

Dan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started in college, but every year since (20 years) I smoke more and better cigars. I started just because I loved the way they smelled, and now love the way they taste.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best friend had a son 6 years ago, I smoked a celebratory cigar with him. Neither of us ever had before. We both enjoy them still...me more. But he brews some great IPAs for me to enjoy them with!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A campfire with some friends from church. One cigar, but the experience was great even if the cigar wasn't all that. Since then I've had a handful as I have a college budget, but I've strengthened a few friendships over them, and everyone needs a vice to open you up to new things more.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Grew up around them. My great-grandfather always had a pipe or cigar lit all day long. I have his last pipe and a couple of very old tin cigar boxes. I guess he was a heavy cigarette smoker before I was born but I never saw him with one. He was born in 1895 and passed in 1997. The last couple of years he wasn't able to smoke so he chewed but never got cancer. I smoked Backwoods while deer hunting when I was in my late teens and early twenties, but quit smoking cigarettes in 1986 and didn't light up anything until 1994. I don't know why I picked them up then but I bought nine various cigars from our local and tried them all while at a 3-day conference for work. The only one I remember was my old stand-by, the Flor de Oliva toro. I still grab a few from the local now and then but I've really taken a liking to stuff made by A.J. Fernandez these days.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Took up pipe to quit cigarettes about 16 years ago-- I was too young and hyper to smoke a pipe at the time so I started smoking cigars. I had smoked them in high school and off/on in college but they were Swishers and Backwoods LOL. Came around to Rocky Patel first and then on to Tatuaje and it's been a long ride since then. Love it!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Father was a cigar smoker, but not to the degree that most of us here are. I actually have pics of me as a kid being pulled in my red wagon "smoking" the little plastic spacer tube that came in one of his boxes of cigars. lol
I initially started with unfiltered cigarettes, then in high school/college it was clove cigs, and finally I found Cigars International online and got into cigars from there.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost embarrassing to admit. My cigar smoking days started right out of high school smoking cherry flavored Swisher Sweets while drinking Budweiser beer with friends. Imagine the morning breath after that combination.

My real introduction to quality cigars happened a few years later at a convention. One of the top producers at the company offered me a cigar to smoke with our bourbon. I kept taking the cigar out and staring at it until he started laughing. I had just graduated from Swisher Sweets to a smuggled in Cuban cigar. The difference was incredible. It felt like climbing out of a Ford Fiesta into a Lincoln Town Car. I have no idea what the name of that cigar was, but in my mind it still rates in my top five best smokes of all time.