What's new

Howdy from Peters Creek, Alaska

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bsslack — nice to see a fellow Alaskan here. I'm in Anchorage every weekday, since I work near the airport. It'd be a pleasure to meet and smoke.

Buckwheat — Finance-wise, cigars have nothing over my other interests such as, cowboy action shooting, flyfishing, and flytying. I could rack up the debt of a small Caribbean nation and not have enough.

Peters Creek is a small community located about twenty miles outside of Anchorage proper but still included within the Municipality of Anchorage. We're so small, we don't have our own post office but rather, get our mail through the ever-so-slightly-larger community of Chugiak.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I was up in Alaska two years ago (in Soldotna) doing some fly fishing for Kings. Had a great time!! We had great luck on a fly-out over on the Chuit and on the Russian Rivers. Our timing was a little off but we still caught our limits every day.

I know what you mean about the fly tying and fishing gear prices!!!

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
JW — Yep, that one's definitely one of my cowboy pics...but it doesn't illustrate what I do as well as these...

Now I just need to combine cigar smoking with shooting in a pic and I'll be set.

Buckwheat — Sounds like a good trip. Believe it or not, I'm not much a salmon fisherman. I'm more of a trout bum who mostly just likes to sit in his float tube and wave a stick in the air. I detest combat fishing. I do intend to get some stout gear for the occasional trip to the bush, though.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Allan — We've got just ~655,000 folks in the whole state, with half of 'em living in the Anchorage area. Bein' the largest state with the smallest population makes for an average of only 1.1 people livin' on every square mile. It's beautiful to be sure but it's not for everyone...and we like it that way.

Edited to add: ...and thanks for the words of welcome. (I sure can be a thoughtless cuss, sometimes!)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, I definately must come check it out someday...But being sensitive to lack of daylight, i'm not sure i'd adapt too well...

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
allanf said:
Well, I definately must come check it out someday...But being sensitive to lack of daylight, i'm not sure i'd adapt too well...
Well Allan,
just visit Us during the summer! Some days We get 20 hours of Daylight! In reality, during that time, it never really "Get's Dark" the sun just drops below the horizon for a few hours, but pop's right back up! The Sun runs a Racetrack around Us, It's never High noon in Middle of Summer or Winter for that matter. Yes, the sunrise at 11:30AM and Sunset at 03:30PM takes getting used to it. It really makes You enjoy the Summer!

Change of Gear!

PC,
That's a fine looking Yellow Boy, is it the Henry .44mag? How about Yer Roscoe? .45LC? Brand? Scatter Gun? Exposed Hammers??!?

S.A.S.S looks like tons of Fun!

We'll have to meet up for a smoke and Sassparilla!

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes Everyone Should!

But!, Be warned.....Everyone whom was not born here, at one point in time was "Just Visiting", not counting Our Excellent Military Folks up here!

Including Me! So, be careful! Be Vewy Careful! :)

Slack

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My dad was actually born in Alaska because my Grandfather was stationed there for the first 8 months of his life till they moved back to the east coast.

I also noticed that golden boy as soon as I saw that picture.

I am sure you will enjoy this forum, there are some really great people on it who are super friendly and knowledgable.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Golden Boy???? (HACK! SPIT!) :laugh:

It's an Uberti reproduction of the Winchester Model of 1866...aka "Yellowboy"...sporting rifle version with the 24" octogon barrel. While I've heard it's a fine rifle, the Henry Golden Boy...not to be confused with the Henry Model of 1860, also reproduced by Uberti...isn't a reproduction of anything.

For sixguns, I have a brace of Ruger Bisley Vaqueros. The rifle and both pistoles are chambered in .45 Colt. The coach gun is an old Rossi, with external hammers...real, working, rebounding hammers. Not the cosmetic doohickies on some of the Russian and/or Chinese doubles out there.

I roll my own cartridges and shotgun shells with black powder substitute. I like my guns to smoke, too.

Slack — If you're of a mind to, maybe we can meet up over at Pete's one day soon. BTW, I just got a good deal on cheap smokes there yesterday. All Taino sticks, boxes, and bundles are 50% off. I tried one of the maddies out right there in the shop, then picked up a bundle. Not a bad smoke for $1.33 per stick.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
:welcome:

PetersCreek said:
Stumbled across this site while searching for online cigar shops. Looked like a nice place, so I decided to drop in for a while.
I'm curious on what you searched for that brought you here?

Your gun knowledge alone has me glad you are a part of our community. :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
PetersCreek said:
Golden Boy???? (HACK! SPIT!) :laugh:
haha. Shows how much I know about guns! The only guns I have ever even fired are some handguns when I went with my uncle to the indoor range in Tampa in december. :bangbang:

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the welcome, Vipe. It's good to know there's room here for this gun-totin', cigar-smokin', scotch-drinkin', sometimes-curmudgeonly, weekend cowboy.

Honestly, I don't remember exactly what search terms got me here. I think it was while I was lookin' for a source for the CigarCaddy...which I wound up buyin' locally, anyway. But hey, whatever gets my foot in the door.

Bsslack

So-Cal/Riverside
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OK Ah Stayund co'wreckted!;)

Well, at least I guessed the right caliber on the six-ers.

Uberti does a fine Job on those reproductions Too!
I just got rid of my only Single action a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. Dang-It! Holsters and All. I used to have a nice Marlin 1895G in .457 magnum. It used 45-70's as a sub load!
It kicked like a mule with the Mag loads, but was a pussycat with the standard pressure 45-70's. I sold it to a local Cop going to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo. Come to think of it I haven't seen that boy around lately, hmmm?

Pete's eh? Something on a Monday through Friday right? I don't have next weeks schedule yet but maybe a Tues or Wed eve?

Que es,Tainos? Do they have a Cohiba like yellow and black band? Bundle right? I've had a nat wrapped robusto that was pretty tame. I like'em with some Spice and Kick!

I'm sure it will work out.

I look forward to it!

slack