What's new

Howdy Ya'all

codemachine

Cigar n00b
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Greetings and Salutations oh Brothers of the Leaf,

The name is Jim, most folks call me Big Jim on account of my rather large stature. Born and raised in Sacramento, CA where I played Offensive Tackle in High School. Went to Oberlin College in Oberlin, OH for a year and played Tackle for them as well. Injuries required I stop playing ball. Moved back to Sacramento to finish my degree in Computer Science and graduated from CSU, Sacramento. From there I moved to Virginia and worked for "The Man" for a bit. Got tired of the bureaucracy and went private industry. Worked for a company called Rackspace for a while. Good company, but I got promoted away from what I wanted to be doing (I'm a techno-geek at heart, I don't want to manage people) and ended up leaving after a couple years. Went to work for another company, Customink doing similar work on a smaller scale with less help. I basically went from managing the operations staff and equipment for a whole datacenter to managing everything in a cage by myself. Worked there in the office for about a year and a half and decided it was time to buy my first home, I was tired of renting. Only problem was the DC area is way too expensive to buy a house in unless you want a 2 hours commute. So I went in and talked to the boss and said, "I'm moving to TX and buying a house. So we either need to discuss my options for working remotely or I need to figure out a timeframe for giving my two weeks notice." So I now work remotely from TX managing a bunch of equipment sitting in a datacenter in VA. Still adjusting to working from home, but it's getting better as I go. That covers the basics of how I reached this point in my life....

Stumbled upon the site here by google'ing for "how to build a cigar room in my house" and found a thread archive here. I got into cigars about a year ago when a friend loaned me a small book about cigars and their history. I was fascinated. I started borrowing and reading his copies of Cigar Aficianado and random websites learning more about how to smoke a cigar and what to look for in a good smoke. That's when I took the plunge and bought a couple of sampler packs from Cigars International. So far my taste seems to run towards the Mild-Medium end of the spectrum but one of my motto's is "I'll try almost anything once, sometimes twice". My favorite stick so far was a RyJ Reserve Maduro. It was nice and smooth and just this side of too strong. Just bought my first real humidor (not the crap freebies that places give out when you buy sampler packs or boxes sometimes) and a nice electronic humidifier for it. Once I've finished going through all these singles and samplers I've picked up along the way I'll decide want I want my stockpile to consist of and get to stockpiling. :smokingbo

Questions, comments, concerns, queries, and suggestions always welcome.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Try
Messagebox.Show("Welcome to the mix!")​
Catch ex as Exception
Debug.Print("Error you idiot!")​
End Try