What's new

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 – April 99

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 – April 99
4.875x50
Filler – Cuba, Binder – Cuba, Wrapper – Cuba

I tilted the bundle forward and slipped a stick from the yellow ribbon and was greeted by a light colored cigar with a velvety smooth wrapper. Impeccably constructed with a beautiful cap, this beauty was straight and stout with slight mold marks along its side from the roller’s press. Large in girth, the impressive cigar felt great in the hand and mouth. I held it in my mouth while I lit the evening fire, and although dry to the tongue there was a surprising amount of pre light bite – all the way to the back of the throat.

Took to the fire willingly, and burst forth with an astringent, teeth rattling blast of flavor. Tannin and alkali hit first, but were buffered with a smooth chalky citrus overtone. There was a slight tan cast to the solid ash, and what appeared to be a fold in the filler left a line down the side of the ash as it grew. After an inch and a half of slightly uneven burn I knocked it off to reveal a slightly off center cone. The finish was attention getting with a puckering bite that grabbed the sides of the tongue and cheeks.

I enjoyed this cigar in the cool afternoon with the storm clouds scudding across the sky. It was a good accompaniment to my chores, following me with an aggressive, sharp and highly pitched aroma. The big cigar had and imposing girth and after the halfway mark the only adjective that can apply is powerful. Wave upon wave of big, bold Havana flavor washed over me as I worked.

Overall this is a big, bold Havana with a certain sophistication. The assertive flavors make your mouth dry and pull your cheeks in tight, and the kick is impressive. Even with the tempered edge this cigar is very edgy. With this much power I estimate that it can age gracefully for at least a few more years. Recommended.

Appearance: 10/10
Construction: 9/10
Flavor: 17/20
Finish: 8/10
Smoking experience: 18/20
Aroma: 8/10
Overall impression: 18/20

Total: 88/100

LasciviousXXX

One Bad M.F.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These are excellent smokes IMO. I've never had any with that much age on 'em but the ones I've had have blown me away.

They quickly went to the top of my favorites list. I would also recommend them to anyone.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I too love these cigars. I've found them to be a very mild to medium cigar that is quite enjoyable even early in the day. They are one of my favorites in fact!

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I have yet to try one of these. I have a few in the humidor...sounds like I need to give one a fiery death! :)