Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Hoyo de Monterrey Petite Robusto
Origin: Cuba
Size: Petite Robusto
Length: 4.00
Gauge: 50
Box code: Unknown

This is another superbly made smoke, gifted from a fine BOTL. The date code is unknown, but the cigar seems to be very fresh. The wrapper was a light brown color with very small veins. Construction on this smoke was flawless. The cigar also had a wonderful pre-light aroma, reminding me a bit of the Epicure #2. Since it was Sunday morning and I had the house to myself, I decided to enjoy this with a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

The pre-light draw on this small stick was just right. This vitola lit perfectly and put out great quantities of rich smoke right from the start. The burn on this little flavor bomb ran perfectly throughout. This cigar surprised the heck out of me. It is young and I was not expecting anything great, but I was in for a surprise. I thought that such a short, fat cigar might burn a little hot, but it never did. It started off very mild, but quickly developed some wonderful and surprising richness and strength. It had a long smooth finish that I found quite wonderful in such a small package. It left a wonderful aftertaste on the palate.

This was an exceptional small cigar and is quite wonderful when fresh and young. I suspect that like most Habanos, this one can be improved with aging. The little Robusto is an excellent value and would be a great, every day, go-to smoke. These are highly recommended and will soon be added to my humidor. If you are looking for a fairly quick smoke, that is wonderfully rewarding and a great value, this would be a very good choice.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That is one great review.

I love these cigars. They are perfect for that walk with the dog. They last just enough time.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
great review!! I was impressed with this smoke as well! I was suprised that it didn't burn hot at the end!!! often short stubby smokes do!!!!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've only had one, but I thought it was terribly disappointing. One cigar isn't really enough to base an opinion on, though, so I'll have to give them another go.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Excellent review!

Not sure I would say "The little Robusto is an excellent value..." unless they have come down in price since the last time I checked. They used to be priced the same as normal robustos in other lines.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
That is true. I think it is strictly subjective. Funny thing about CC's; sometimes there seems to be a direct correlation between size and cost, but not always. It would appear to be demand/popularity related in other cases, e.g. - Choix Supreme ~$150 vs PSD4 ~$185. Current HDM Petit price ~$155.

DWavs said:
Excellent review!

Not sure I would say "The little Robusto is an excellent value..." unless they have come down in price since the last time I checked. They used to be priced the same as normal robustos in other lines.