What's new

Humi- brik conversation

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
So I received my montecristo gift set today and saw the humi brik. Just like everyone else I thought 70% RH and gel is junk.
I got thinking though and figured I'd do a DIY tutorial of how to replace the gel and add your own beads or KL like I used. (I know I'm board)

So I tried to pry the two pieces apart but found out they are glued. So I soaked the brik in hot water for 10mins and then went to work.

Here's my setup as what I used.

After flipping it over I took a small flat head screw driver and slid it back and forth "popping" the glue

Then I pulled the two apart. Takes a little bit of finagling but it'll come. Here pictured is after I emptied out the gel beads

Then I took the bottom section and almost filled it all the way leaving about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch empty.

Took some DW in a squirt bottle have it about 3-4 squirts. Slapped the top back on locking it back into place

Then put the brik and a digital hydrometer in abig zip lock and I'll add a squirt or two till I'm at the 65%rh I'm looking for

Hope this helps andputs it to use for some guys.

Much smoke and long ashes,
NYSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Why would you use kitty litter for something so valuable as cigars?

(I don't really care at all and I use some in my 5 count but just wanted to be the first one to say that.)

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Great idea, quick question though; I thought the blue KL should be removed before using in a humi. Am I mistaken?

From what I have read and been told, green KL beads are the ones that give off odor while the blue absorbs and controls odors. So the blue won't play any effects on cigars. Plus there is no odor to the KL while dry or wet.

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0

(I don't really care at all and I use some in my 5 count but just wanted to be the first one to say that.)[/QUOTE

Ik you don't care but the reason I use it is that it's cheap and at the time I was in a bind where I had no room or funds to order the beads. I had an old wine cooler that for $15 I had up and running. I've had no issues thus far and she hold solid at 66%rh with no effort on my part. It works for me at the moment

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0

(I don't really care at all and I use some in my 5 count but just wanted to be the first one to say that.)
Hahaha jc. Someone had to, and of course it was you.

-Jared

Rating - 82.4%
36   6   0
Kinda like good and bad kryptonite? I never have gotten into the KL, but am willing to learn more about it.

KK33
Exactly. I bought 8lbs of Mimi litter for $8 where 2lbs is the minimum amount I needed for the same set up and I was looking at I believe $80 for beads. So after talking with a few guys in chat who have had much success with it and their help I was able to have my wineador up and running in a matter of a week and steady in a week and a half. It's been close to 2 months and I haven't had to do anything to it and I'm in it every day just about