What's new

Humidity bead?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever have Heartfelt Humidity beads just go wacko? The humidor in question sat un used for about 10 years. The beads are much older. Maybe 15 years. They sat virtually unused inside the humidor. I fired it back up and got it going again about a month ago.

The beads are 65% beads. They were sitting strong. At 65%. Then about three days ago I noticed an increase in humidity. A few days prior I added about 55 cigars. Which seem to come a bit wet from CI. The humidity increased to 70% and stayed.

The beads were not saturated but maybe 80-85% where clear. Ambient Humidity has been pretty high and the temp has been great so the wife has been leaving the windows open. So I figured maybe the beads were having a hard time bringing down the humidity because they got two wet. So I stuck the beads in a Tupperware container with about a 1/4 cup of DampRid. Obviously I kept the beads physically separated from the DanpRid. A few hours later the ratio of wet to dry beads was closer to 40-50%.

I returned the beads to the humidor. Prior to placing the beads back in the humidity in the humidor was 66%. Humidity in the house was 72%. I waited a hour opened humidor and it was sitting at 70% exactly. I put the beads back in the sealed Tupperware along with the hydrometer from the humidor. I let it sit for about 12 hours. It’s reading dead on 70%. I put a different hydrometer in thinking maybe my hydrometer went nuts. It read 71% after an hour.

I have always used 65% beads I’ve never purchased 70% beads. Prior to getting this humidor going again I order a 1/2lb of new 65% humidity beads I have not used them yet. I’m probably going to replace and trash the old ones.

Anybody ever have humidity beads just flip a switch like that? I can’t trust them. I know they are not everlasting and they are easily 15 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I think the issue may actually be the 55 (probably wet) cigars that you just added. Take those out and see what happens. Chances are that is what's causing the issue.

My guess is that the beads are probably still working as they should. They will bring the humidity down over time but that is actually going to take weeks and not just a few days for that to happen. Boveda packs work in a similar fashion and the rule of thumb with those is that if you have the correct amount of packs it will change the overall humidity by 1% a week.

After many years in this hobby, I have learned that time and patience are my friends when it comes to getting my humidity where I want it to be.