What's new

Humidity gone to hell

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I use a small Avanti wine cooler (10 bottle), with an external temp controller, beads and a cigar oasis. Until a week ago everything was fine. Then the humidity started to range from high 50's to 70's. The "tank" on the oasis is less than a year old, but I filled it with distilled water, and even added some PG.

Nothing seems to stabilize the humidity. The oasis alone doesn't do it, unless I turn adjust it so that it runs constantly. The beads alone don't seem to be able to hold the humidity (I believe I have a pound).

The cooler works great, the temp is a constant 70 degrees, but the humidity has been so bad I finally took my cigars out so they wouldn't be ruined by the vast swings.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
There are at least 2 threads out with other brothers who have a wine cooler set up. Just look throught some of them and see if they had any of the same problems.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ron,

I didn't know that, thanks. I got the idea from Doc at Cigar Fresh.

I have the beads in there now, seeing if it will settle down. If I use the oasis again I'll buy a new "tank".

Thought about buying your tubes, but don't know if they will help. Guess I need to know my problem first (if that's possible).

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
mike, another thing that you can do is put a Boveda or Humidipak in the boxes that you are storing. keep the lid shut. this will help keep the humidity inside of the boxes stable, even if the air in the wine cooler is fluctuating a little bit. I would not recommend my tube humidifiers for this application. Combo of beads in the cabinet, and Bovedas in the individual boxes would work well.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thanks Ron, great idea. A cigar saver for sure. I picked up enough at my local B&M to place a small one in each box. This will keep things steady until I figure out how to solve my problem.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
1.) Replace the battery(ies) in your hygrometer(s)

2.) Calibrate them, then go from them.

~Mark

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Door seems very tight. I don't think that's the problem.

Mark, thanks, I had just decided to do just what you suggested. Bought a calibration kit and will replace the battery tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've removed the cigars and placed a bovida pack in each box. The temp in the house is ideal this time of year, so the smokes should be fine for awhile. I've removed the oasis, made sure the beads had distilled water, and am letting them sit to see if the humidity settles down. It's bounced around a bit (67 @ 3:30 pm, 59 @ 5 pm, and 73 at 7 pm). I'll check it tomorrow and see if it settles down.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if the cooling unit has been turning on and off, you could see those swings. if the cooling unit has been off, then my bet is on the Cigar Oasis.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Looks like you're moving in the right direction Mike! Don't forget to smoke a cigar!