What's new

humidity issue

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
so, I can;t get my humidity to where I want it (65%).

I use beads and have more than probably necessary in my humi. they are not saturated and my hygro is properly calibrated (I just checked using boveda).

regardless of all that my humidity is staying pretty steady right around 70. WHat (if anything) can i do to bring it back down again.

anyone...Ron...suggestions?

thanks fellas,

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
so, I can;t get my humidity to where I want it (65%).

I use beads and have more than probably necessary in my humi. they are not saturated and my hygro is properly calibrated (I just checked using boveda).

regardless of all that my humidity is staying pretty steady right around 70. WHat (if anything) can i do to bring it back down again.

anyone...Ron...suggestions?

thanks fellas

Hey Josh

Maybe your humi is not sealing properly. I noticed that the temp in my house plays a part in the humidity in my humi. Maybe moving the humi to another spot in the house.

Just a suggestion.
:grin:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
yeah eddie...i thought this might be too...

but I was having the same ssues when I was keeping my humi in my bedroom (the only AC'd room in the house) and generally ACstrips the air of moisture.

:dunno:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My humidity is higher when I have my a/c on then when I have it off and it's warm in the house. I'm not using beads though just a stock humidifier. How long have you had the beads? Maybe you could try getting beads with a lower humidity rating?:grin:

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Hey Josh just a thought, try drying the beads a hair dryer. If the RH goes to low add a little DW in very small amounts until it levels out at 65 or wherever you want it.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sometimes I have that problem for a few days when I add new sticks. Usually because the place I got them from over humifies them. If that's the case, and the ambient humidity is less than the humi, you may want to crack it open for awhile and let some of the excess humidity bleed off. Anybody see fault with this?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
1. Are you sure they are not 70&#37; beads?
2. Have you put new sticks in recently that may have brought the humidity up?
3. Why have you added any moisture to the beads if RH is higher than desired? Dry em out and let them soak up the moisture on their own.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
1. Are you sure they are not 70% beads?
2. Have you put new sticks in recently that may have brought the humidity up?
3. Why have you added any moisture to the beads if RH is higher than desired? Dry em out and let them soak up the moisture on their own.
1) Yup...unless Vipe mislabeled his bags O'beads
2) No new sticks in the last few weeks...I think that's enough time to even out?
3) I haven;t added moisture...it's just the beads I have aren;t saturated. The ambient humi outside oy my humi is higher than inside...so I can;t just let the dry-out. I guess the hair dryer (thanks Ken) could work...maybe i'll try that.

thanks guys...keep 'em coming

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
1) Yup...unless Vipe mislabeled his bags O'beads
2) No new sticks in the last few weeks...I think that's enough time to even out?
3) I haven;t added moisture...it's just the beads I have aren;t saturated. The ambient humi outside oy my humi is higher than inside...so I can;t just let the dry-out. I guess the hair dryer (thanks Ken) could work...maybe i'll try that.

thanks guys...keep 'em coming
Make sure you are drying them out while they are in a mesh bag or panty hose sack. If not, you will be picking up beads off the floor for hours. :wink:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Make sure you are drying them out while they are in a mesh bag or panty hose sack. If not, you will be picking up beads off the floor for hours. :wink:
:thumbsup: Yup...got two little pantyhose sachels in the humi...one in the lid and the other in the lower level to try to keep humidity even throughout the box

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Could be several things Josh. I agree with the others to first dry out the beads first. Also take the hygro out and place it next to the humi to see what the ambient RH actually is. It is Oct, but this region has been moist. Still running a dehumidifier in the basement is rare this time of year; and we have not had measurable rain in 28 days. AC will only help reduce the RH, not strip it away.

You might try taking all the sticks out and placing them in a well sealed Tupperware container. Take the mostly dried out beads with the hygro and place them in the humi. The RH should drop as the beads absorb the extra RH. Slowly add distilled water with a spritz bottle to the beads until you reach the desired RH. Add sticks again. If the RH goes back up, the sticks are too wet. Just dry out the beads again and add back to the humi. My thinking is in another week, the cold dry air will hit and then you will be looking to add RH to the humi vs trying to take it out.

Good luck amigo, keep us posted.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The answer is Kitty Litter.:glassesgr Seriously, I keep one bag od pearl step bone dry and when I need to lower the humidity, I just add it. SUcks up moisture like you cant believe till the beads and the box level out. Dry and repeat.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
The answer is Kitty Litter.:glassesgr Seriously, I keep one bag od pearl step bone dry and when I need to lower the humidity, I just add it. SUcks up moisture like you cant believe till the beads and the box level out. Dry and repeat.

I was not even going there (KL). :glassesgr

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
running an AC in a room will dry it out. in a tightly sealed humidor, lowering the temp will actually increase RH. I would introduce a little bit of KL (as per CWS) to help dry it out a bit.

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Is this the only brand that will work or are there others that work as well?

thanks for the advice guys...I know i'm probably being anal...but I like my cigars (and I like obsessing over them!) just want to make sure my experience is pleasurable on the rare occasions when I get a cigar in lately.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Is this the only brand that will work or are there others that work as well?

thanks for the advice guys...I know i'm probably being anal...but I like my cigars (and I like obsessing over them!) just want to make sure my experience is pleasurable on the rare occasions when I get a cigar in lately.
As long as it is the silica nuggets and has no oder or smell to it.

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
One thing to keep in mind as well is that 70% isn't going to hurt your cigars. Of course there's a lot of us who feel that 65% is a better range, but 70 is doing no harm. Don't get to caught up in trying to keep an exact percentage right to the point, you're not going to tell the difference between 64, 65 & 66% anyway.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Wade makes a very good point. 70% is not bad. I find I have problems with my er finer cigars at 70% but it certainly wont hurt them.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
One thing to keep in mind as well is that 70% isn't going to hurt your cigars. Of course there's a lot of us who feel that 65% is a better range, but 70 is doing no harm. Don't get to caught up in trying to keep an exact percentage right to the point, you're not going to tell the difference between 64, 65 & 66% anyway.
Correct, it does them no harm, but I find they do not burn properly at 70%.

As far as the KL goes . . . I actually agree with this as you are trying to take excess moisture OUT of the humi. We all know my feelings on long term usage of it however.:bouncetau